Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Permissions on a USB external HDD

Permissions on a USB external HDD

SchoolTech

I have an external USB HDD formatted in a 40 GB NTFS partition.

How do I set permissions so that in any computer I take it to, whatever
username, whatever domain I am logged onto in that computer, I will
automatically have full permissions on the external drive?

Does the Everyone group mean the same thing on any computer?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <452aa78c$(E-Mail Removed)>, SchoolTech wrote:

> I have an external USB HDD formatted in a 40 GB NTFS partition.
>
> How do I set permissions so that in any computer I take it to, whatever
> username, whatever domain I am logged onto in that computer, I will
> automatically have full permissions on the external drive?

On a Linux system, according to the mount( man page, you can set the uid,
gid and umask mount options so that non-root users can access the files.

Dave Taylor

SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:452aa78c$1
@clear.net.nz:

> I have an external USB HDD formatted in a 40 GB NTFS partition.
>
> How do I set permissions so that in any computer I take it to, whatever
> username, whatever domain I am logged onto in that computer, I will
> automatically have full permissions on the external drive?
>
> Does the Everyone group mean the same thing on any computer?

Just reformat it to Fat32, that way 9x boxes can see it too (with the
correct driver for your USB caddy)

--
Ciao, Dave

Peter Nield

"SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:452aa78c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an external USB HDD formatted in a 40 GB NTFS partition.
>
> How do I set permissions so that in any computer I take it to, whatever
> username, whatever domain I am logged onto in that computer, I will
> automatically have full permissions on the external drive?
>
> Does the Everyone group mean the same thing on any computer?

The following "objects" have the same "SID" on all Windows computers:
Administrators
Users
Authenticated Users
Everyone

So if you want to have a freely accessible NTFS drive, pick one of Users,
Everyone or Authenticated Users.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <Xns9858B0689D9A7daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6> , Dave Taylor
wrote:

> SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:452aa78c$1
> @clear.net.nz:
>
>> I have an external USB HDD formatted in a 40 GB NTFS partition.
>>
>> How do I set permissions so that in any computer I take it to, whatever
>> username, whatever domain I am logged onto in that computer, I will
>> automatically have full permissions on the external drive?
>>
>> Does the Everyone group mean the same thing on any computer?

> Just reformat it to Fat32, that way 9x boxes can see it too (with the
> correct driver for your USB caddy)

The only problem with that is limitations on file sizes.

SchoolTech

Dave Taylor wrote:
> SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:452aa78c$1
> @clear.net.nz:
>
>> I have an external USB HDD formatted in a 40 GB NTFS partition.
>>
>> How do I set permissions so that in any computer I take it to, whatever
>> username, whatever domain I am logged onto in that computer, I will
>> automatically have full permissions on the external drive?
>>
>> Does the Everyone group mean the same thing on any computer?

> Just reformat it to Fat32, that way 9x boxes can see it too (with the
> correct driver for your USB caddy)

FAT32 is a complete waste of time, NTFS is miles better
It can compress and encrypt seamlessly.

Earl Grey

SchoolTech wrote:
> Dave Taylor wrote:
>> SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:452aa78c$1
>> @clear.net.nz:
>>
>>> I have an external USB HDD formatted in a 40 GB NTFS partition.
>>>
>>> How do I set permissions so that in any computer I take it to,
>>> whatever username, whatever domain I am logged onto in that computer,
>>> I will automatically have full permissions on the external drive?
>>>
>>> Does the Everyone group mean the same thing on any computer?

>> Just reformat it to Fat32, that way 9x boxes can see it too (with the
>> correct driver for your USB caddy)
>>

> FAT32 is a complete waste of time, NTFS is miles better
> It can compress and encrypt seamlessly.

But you did say ANY computer.

Dave Taylor

Earl Grey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:452c7d8f$(E-Mail Removed):

> But you did say ANY computer.

That was what I saw too.

--
Ciao, Dave

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <452aa78c$(E-Mail Removed)>, SchoolTech wrote:
>
>> I have an external USB HDD formatted in a 40 GB NTFS partition.
>>
>> How do I set permissions so that in any computer I take it to, whatever
>> username, whatever domain I am logged onto in that computer, I will
>> automatically have full permissions on the external drive?

> On a Linux system, according to the mount( man page, you can set the uid,
> gid and umask mount options so that non-root users can access the files.

You need to be root to issue the mount command though.

Cheers,

Cliff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <452cbe92$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <452aa78c$(E-Mail Removed)>, SchoolTech wrote:
>>
>>> I have an external USB HDD formatted in a 40 GB NTFS partition.
>>>
>>> How do I set permissions so that in any computer I take it to, whatever
>>> username, whatever domain I am logged onto in that computer, I will
>>> automatically have full permissions on the external drive?

>> On a Linux system, according to the mount( man page, you can set the
>> uid, gid and umask mount options so that non-root users can access the
>> files.

> You need to be root to issue the mount command though.

You can also set up the mount command, as root, so that non-root users can
issue it.