Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vista costs more than a computer in Australia

Vista costs more than a computer in Australia

Roy Bean

Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
computer.

The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the
price of a fully configured desktop computer.

The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is thus:
- Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
- Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
- Windows Vista Business AUD$565
- Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

Anony Mouse

Roy Bean wrote:
> Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
> that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
> more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
> computer.
>
> The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
> whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the
> price of a fully configured desktop computer.
>
> The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is thus:
> - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
> - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
> - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
> - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

There is certainly something to said about running Linux.

Given the life span of a PC of about three years Windows users will need
to replace both PC and software regularly.

Linux users can use old PC's for such things as gateways or dedicated
multi media machines.

Given the amount of money that Gates has made makes the Widows empire
socially and morally corrupt.

Anony Mouse

whome

"Anony Mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ege80t$5av$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Roy Bean wrote:
>> Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
>> that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
>> more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
>> computer.
>>
>> The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
>> whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the price
>> of a fully configured desktop computer.
>>
>> The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is
>> thus:
>> - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
>> - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
>> - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
>> - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

> There is certainly something to said about running Linux.
>
> Given the life span of a PC of about three years Windows users will need
> to replace both PC and software regularly.
>
> Linux users can use old PC's for such things as gateways or dedicated
> multi media machines.
>
> Given the amount of money that Gates has made makes the Widows empire
> socially and morally corrupt.
>
> Anony Mouse

Too bad windows is better than linux then.

Allistar

whome wrote:

> "Anony Mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ege80t$5av$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Roy Bean wrote:
>>> Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
>>> that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
>>> more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
>>> computer.
>>>
>>> The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
>>> whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the
>>> price of a fully configured desktop computer.
>>>
>>> The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is
>>> thus:
>>> - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
>>> - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
>>> - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
>>> - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

>> There is certainly something to said about running Linux.
>>
>> Given the life span of a PC of about three years Windows users will need
>> to replace both PC and software regularly.
>>
>> Linux users can use old PC's for such things as gateways or dedicated
>> multi media machines.
>>
>> Given the amount of money that Gates has made makes the Widows empire
>> socially and morally corrupt.
>>
>> Anony Mouse

> Too bad windows is better than linux then.

I don't want to start *another* religious war about this, but it depends
what you do.

I agree that Windows is "better" for a lot of people. I find Linux (and
specifically the KDE desktop) makes me a LOT more productive than if I were
to run Windows. This productivity translates to me working less for the
same money, or working the same amount for more money.

Allistar.

Earl Grey

Allistar wrote:
> whome wrote:
>
>> "Anony Mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ege80t$5av$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> There is certainly something to said about running Linux.
>>>
>>> Given the life span of a PC of about three years Windows users will need
>>> to replace both PC and software regularly.
>>>
>>> Linux users can use old PC's for such things as gateways or dedicated
>>> multi media machines.
>>>
>>> Given the amount of money that Gates has made makes the Widows empire
>>> socially and morally corrupt.
>>>
>>> Anony Mouse

>> Too bad windows is better than linux then.

> I don't want to start *another* religious war about this, but it depends
> what you do.
>
> I agree that Windows is "better" for a lot of people. I find Linux (and
> specifically the KDE desktop) makes me a LOT more productive than if I were
> to run Windows. This productivity translates to me working less for the
> same money, or working the same amount for more money.
>
> Allistar.

whome doesn't give a sh*t about productivity
He's a lab tech sucking on the public tit at Massey cow college.

Rupert Boleyn

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 05:07:34 +1300, Roy Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
>that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
>more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
>computer.
>
>The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
>whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the
>price of a fully configured desktop computer.
>
>The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is thus:
>- Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
>- Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
>- Windows Vista Business AUD$565
>- Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

Somebody's making a crapload of money in markup, then. The US$ prices
are:

Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$199
Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$239
Windows Vista Business AUD$299
Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $399

and that translates to:

Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$268 ($119 less)
Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$321 ($134 less)
Windows Vista Business AUD$402 ($163 less)
Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $536 ($215 less)

Who knew shipping to Aus from the US was so expensive?

This also suggests the Home Premium edition, which is IMO the cheapest
version worth even looking at, will go for about NZ$435, and the
Ultimate for about NZ$850. Too rich for my blood, even if I was
interested.
--
Rupert Boleyn <(E-Mail Removed)>

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>Too bad windows is better than linux then.

Really depends on your value of "better" doesn't it

-=rjh=-

Rupert Boleyn wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 05:07:34 +1300, Roy Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
>> that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually cost
>> more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end notebook
>> computer.
>>
>> The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is a
>> whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the
>> price of a fully configured desktop computer.
>>
>> The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is thus:
>> - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
>> - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
>> - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
>> - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

> Somebody's making a crapload of money in markup, then. The US$ prices
> are:
>
> Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$199
> Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$239
> Windows Vista Business AUD$299
> Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $399
>
> and that translates to:
>
> Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$268 ($119 less)
> Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$321 ($134 less)
> Windows Vista Business AUD$402 ($163 less)
> Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $536 ($215 less)
>
> Who knew shipping to Aus from the US was so expensive?
>
> This also suggests the Home Premium edition, which is IMO the cheapest
> version worth even looking at, will go for about NZ$435, and the
> Ultimate for about NZ$850. Too rich for my blood, even if I was
> interested.

Hey, over 3 years, that's only 77c/day, so stop yer bitchin'

whome

> whome doesn't give a sh*t about productivity
> He's a lab tech sucking on the public tit at Massey cow college.

Windows XP is the current best OS. Vista will be better.

Linux is hard to use, and supports hardly any good applications (that I
would use).

Everyone has an opinion and Linux suits some and not others. So, get back to
your hole gimp boy before I give you a good thrashing.

MarkH

Roy Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:egds28$fjk$(E-Mail Removed):

> Microsoft has released Australian pricing for Windows Vista, revealing
> that its high-end version of the new operating system will actually
> cost more than a well-configured desktop or as much as a low-end
> notebook computer.
>
> The price for a copy of the top of the range Windows Vista Ultimate is
> a whopping AUD$751 to buy off the shelf, which effectivey doubles the
> price of a fully configured desktop computer.
>
> The full Vista price range for Australia as released by Microsoft is
> thus: - Windows Vista Home Basic AUD$385
> - Windows Vista Home Premium AUD$455
> - Windows Vista Business AUD$565
> - Windows Vista Ultimate AUD $751

I currently run WinXP Pro on my windows box and SUSE10 on #2 and #3 with
Knoppix on the TV PC and whatever on my test systems. I think that next
year I will keep the Linux boxes on Linux and the Windows box on WinXP.

At today's prices I could buy two 320GB SATA2 HDDs for less than the price
of Vista Home Premium.

To support customers I will learn Vista on RC2, for my own use WinXP Pro is
fine.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade