Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Abnormally High speeds on jetstream

Abnormally High speeds on jetstream

David

iTunes complained to me that it wanted to be updated. I reluctantly
agreed, the 35mb file downloaded at a speed exceeding 440kB/s for the
entire transfer (I sat and watched; I wasn't watching for long).

A speed test agrees:
Your line speed is approximately 3609.6 Kbps or 442.3 K bytes/sec

When are they supposed to be unthrottling our lines? Have they already
begun?

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

David wrote:
> iTunes complained to me that it wanted to be updated. I reluctantly
> agreed, the 35mb file downloaded at a speed exceeding 440kB/s for the
> entire transfer (I sat and watched; I wasn't watching for long).
>
> A speed test agrees:
> Your line speed is approximately 3609.6 Kbps or 442.3 K bytes/sec
>
> When are they supposed to be unthrottling our lines? Have they already
> begun?

Looks to be the case.

Out of curiosity do any Telecom ADSL accounts still have a cost
for excess data over the account cap? Anyone with an account
like that would need to be quite careful they didn't excitedly
download too much stuff...Telecom would not be complaining
if they did I would imagine, and that may be Telecoms desire
all along...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Craig Whitmore

"David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:eg7j7d$fph$(E-Mail Removed)...
> iTunes complained to me that it wanted to be updated. I reluctantly
> agreed, the 35mb file downloaded at a speed exceeding 440kB/s for the
> entire transfer (I sat and watched; I wasn't watching for long).
>
> A speed test agrees:
> Your line speed is approximately 3609.6 Kbps or 442.3 K bytes/sec
>
> When are they supposed to be unthrottling our lines? Have they already
> begun?

I presume you are on a 3.5M connection so the results you are
getting are correct. Also a lot of apple's webpages are Akamaied so
you are probably getting it nationally off an Akamai Cache.

Thanks
Craig

Mark Robinson

David wrote:
> iTunes complained to me that it wanted to be updated. I reluctantly
> agreed, the 35mb file downloaded at a speed exceeding 440kB/s for the
> entire transfer (I sat and watched; I wasn't watching for long).
>
> A speed test agrees:
> Your line speed is approximately 3609.6 Kbps or 442.3 K bytes/sec
>
> When are they supposed to be unthrottling our lines? Have they already
> begun?

It appears that both Telecom and TelstraClear have provisioned more capacity
(internationally and in at least TC's case nationally) in the face of legal
trouble.

Peter Huebner

In article <eg7j7d$fph$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> iTunes complained to me that it wanted to be updated. I reluctantly
> agreed, the 35mb file downloaded at a speed exceeding 440kB/s for the
> entire transfer (I sat and watched; I wasn't watching for long).
>
> A speed test agrees:
> Your line speed is approximately 3609.6 Kbps or 442.3 K bytes/sec
>
> When are they supposed to be unthrottling our lines? Have they already
> begun?

Except in my case, I suddenly have been throttled from 2 Mbit to 256 kbits.
Jeez, suddenly everything crawls. I am NOT a happy camper, been noticing for a
few days, today I got around to tracking it down and it's actually the adsl
speed that's so low (and here I was blaming servers). Yukk.

-P.

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed)ess says...

> Except in my case, I suddenly have been throttled from 2 Mbit to 256 kbits.
> Jeez, suddenly everything crawls. I am NOT a happy camper, been noticing for a
> few days, today I got around to tracking it down and it's actually the adsl
> speed that's so low (and here I was blaming servers). Yukk.
>
> -P.

Heh, looks to have been a [faulty] splitter. I replaced the d-link with a
dynalink and suddenly the adsl connect is reported at 2532 kbits. Much better

-P.

David Empson

Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> David wrote:
> > iTunes complained to me that it wanted to be updated. I reluctantly
> > agreed, the 35mb file downloaded at a speed exceeding 440kB/s for the
> > entire transfer (I sat and watched; I wasn't watching for long).
> >
> > A speed test agrees:
> > Your line speed is approximately 3609.6 Kbps or 442.3 K bytes/sec
> >
> > When are they supposed to be unthrottling our lines? Have they already
> > begun?

> Looks to be the case.
>
> Out of curiosity do any Telecom ADSL accounts still have a cost
> for excess data over the account cap?

The cheapest and most expensive plans have excess data charges.

Looking at the new plans (late October):

The cheapest plans (Basic) has a 200 MB monthly cap (which could be
reached in about four minutes at uncapped ADSL speeds).

The three most expensive plans (Pro, Pro Advanced and Pro Ultra) have
15, 30 and 50 GB caps.

All four of these plans cost 2c per MB for data over the cap.

Two of the plans (Go and Go Express) slow down when they reach their cap
(1 GB and 2 GB respectively).

The Go Large plan doesn't have a cap or slow down but has a fair use
policy and traffic management. The fair use policy basically tries to
enforce a 700 MB daily limit during peak hours (4 pm to midnight).
Traffic management tries to constrain file sharing protocols.

> Anyone with an account like that would need to be quite careful they
> didn't excitedly download too much stuff...Telecom would not be
> complaining if they did I would imagine, and that may be Telecoms desire
> all along...

You don't say. That Basic plan is a rather major worry for naive users.

Assuming a download of a mere 100 KB per second (something like a
reasonable quality video feed) running 24 hours a day they could chew
through 8.6 GB per day, or up to 267 GB per month. That's over $5000.
The theoretical limit is almost 1 MB per second, which is a potential
$50,000 monthly bill, and I haven't even allowed for upload traffic.

I hope Telecom has some safety checks, like proactively warning anyone
if they seem to be going significantly over the limit of their plan (and
no, an e-mail is not sufficient).

It isn't as bad at the moment, because the Basic plan is speed capped at
256 kbps, which limits the amount of damage you can do.
--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)