Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ISP reaction to Xtra's new plans.

ISP reaction to Xtra's new plans.

EMB

MarkH wrote:

> Oops, I meant that Crash provided the link for.

Or maybe that I provided the link for

--
EMB

thingy

Adam wrote:

8><----

> 4pm to midnight? Peak hours for business users? Hmmm ... I don't think
> so.
>
> Unless it means that, in reality, our Internet is being swamped by the
> greedy P2P home user.
>
> Adam.

When a plan is marketed as un-limited and as high speed as you can get
etc etc, the ISP should expect it is going to attract a decent % of
customers who want that high usage, FFS that is why you buy such a
plan....to use it.....

eg. While most people buy a 4wd drive to do shopping and ponce about
town in, I bought mine to use off road, such enthusiasts use their 4wds
to the limits, even to the point of breaking them........

This is where I think marketing have got the better of too many
companies, they allow their marketeers to oversell a product then leave
the operations/maintenance/techies to sort out the mess and the
hype....result annoyed customers...

regards

Thing

PS P2P and the way the RIAA and MPAA rant over it is a bit of a
joke.......funny how people rave about it yet Usenet has had such stuff
for years.....just get a monthly plan off a US provider....and download
anything you want....
PPS And no I dont have such an account and dont downlaod such infringing
material.

Earl Grey

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 00:35:45 +1300, Adam wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:48:08 +1300, EMB wrote:
>
>>Crash wrote:
>>> Greetings all,
>>>
>>> Maybe I missed something here - have any other ISPs made announcements
>>> about competing products to the new (full speed) plans announced by Xtra
>>> at http://www.xtraplans.co.nz/unleashed ?

>>Maxnet -
>>http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2571FD006F8F74

> Hmmmm ...
>
> Firstly, Maxnet agree that only 75% of their customers are business
> users:
>
> "Maxnet is targetting the business market more than residential users,
> Herkt says. Only a quarter of customers are residential users,
> according to Herkt, which means Maxnet's customers don't go through as
> much data as those of other ISPs."
>
> But then ...
>
> ""Managed" is per Telecom's Fair Use Policy: this allows for a maximum
> of 700MB traffic per day between the hours of 4pm and midnight. Users
> that go over that limit will be put into a pool in which they share a
> limited amount of bandwith with others deemed high volume users. "
>
> 4pm to midnight? Peak hours for business users? Hmmm ... I don't think
> so.
>
> Unless it means that, in reality, our Internet is being swamped by the
> greedy P2P home user.
>
> Adam.

Its being oversold many times over by a greedy telco.
What do they call it when you sell something you can't deliver ?
Fraud isn't it ?

Blue

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 00:35:45 +1300, Adam wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:48:08 +1300, EMB wrote:
>
>>Crash wrote:
>>> Greetings all,
>>>
>>> Maybe I missed something here - have any other ISPs made announcements
>>> about competing products to the new (full speed) plans announced by Xtra
>>> at http://www.xtraplans.co.nz/unleashed ?

>>Maxnet -
>>http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2571FD006F8F74

> Hmmmm ...
>
> Firstly, Maxnet agree that only 75% of their customers are business
> users:
>
> "Maxnet is targetting the business market more than residential users,
> Herkt says. Only a quarter of customers are residential users,
> according to Herkt, which means Maxnet's customers don't go through as
> much data as those of other ISPs."
>
> But then ...
>
> ""Managed" is per Telecom's Fair Use Policy: this allows for a maximum
> of 700MB traffic per day between the hours of 4pm and midnight. Users
> that go over that limit will be put into a pool in which they share a
> limited amount of bandwith with others deemed high volume users. "
>
> 4pm to midnight? Peak hours for business users? Hmmm ... I don't think
> so.
>
> Unless it means that, in reality, our Internet is being swamped by the
> greedy P2P home user.

FFS, broadband should be about building the intrastructure and then one
pays the cost of using it. Think of roads, there is a "tax" on the fuel we
use as we use the highways of this country. Travel further and you pay
more and use it more.

Blue

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 11:46:52 +1300, thingy wrote:

> eg. While most people buy a 4wd drive to do shopping and ponce about
> town in, I bought mine to use off road, such enthusiasts use their 4wds
> to the limits, even to the point of breaking them........
>
> This is where I think marketing have got the better of too many
> companies, they allow their marketeers to oversell a product then leave
> the operations/maintenance/techies to sort out the mess and the
> hype....result annoyed customers...

> This is where I think marketing have got the better of too many
> companies,

Typo, too many consumers, not companies.

Blue

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 18:35:21 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> Dear Customer,
>
> Actrix has some great news regarding your CyberJet plan, and I thought
> you would like to know.
>
> Later this year your CyberJet connection speed will be upgraded, and
> best of all you won't be paying any more for that speed upgrade!
>
> Those of you on our 3.5Mb / 128Kb service will go to full speed down /
> 128Kb up, whist those on 3.5Mb / 512Kb will go to full speed in both
> directions.

Psst, let us see if we do go faster.

MarkH

EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eg6hf3$70f$(E-Mail Removed):

> MarkH wrote:
>>
>> Oops, I meant that Crash provided the link for.

> Or maybe that I provided the link for

Sorry, you're right. Oops for my wrong oops.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Rupert Boleyn

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 20:24:52 +1300, "Vista" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Other ISPs are always moaning. The fact is that the new plans are good for
>their customers with faster speeds.

*******s. The new plans suck, offering higher speeds (potentially) but
with pretty minimal volumes.
--
Rupert Boleyn <(E-Mail Removed)>

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rupert Boleyn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 20:24:52 +1300, "Vista" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Other ISPs are always moaning. The fact is that the new plans are good for
>>their customers with faster speeds.

>*******s. The new plans suck, offering higher speeds (potentially) but
>with pretty minimal volumes.

Idle questiosn ...
As with current plans, if they offer higher speeds and then don't deliver,
is there anything you can do about it ? I have seen many whinges about
paying for speed x, getting speed x/2, complainging and being told "tough".
Is this likely to chenge ? ... will there be any guarantees of service level
?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <egc1or$3cu$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rupert Boleyn
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 20:24:52 +1300, "Vista" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Other ISPs are always moaning. The fact is that the new plans are good
>>>for their customers with faster speeds.

>>*******s. The new plans suck, offering higher speeds (potentially) but
>>with pretty minimal volumes.

> Idle questiosn ...
> As with current plans, if they offer higher speeds and then don't deliver,
> is there anything you can do about it ?

I suppose if sufficient numbers of customers felt they were not getting what
was promised, they could complain to the Commerce Commission. That has many
successful prosecutions under its belt of companies who have committed
things like misleading advertising, hidden charges and the like.