Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Do you Rearly need VISTA...??

Do you Rearly need VISTA...??

Phil

MaHogany wrote, On 7/10/06 11.18 a:
> And how would *you* know what is inside M$ Software?

Because they publish it:
<http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/9/5b97017b-e28a-4bae-ba48-174cf47d23cd/CPA131_WH06.ppt>

-Phil

MaHogany

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 22:52:29 +1300, Phil wrote:

>> And how would *you* know what is inside M$ Software?

> Because they publish it:

Do you seriously believe ANYTHING M$ publishes?

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

MaHogany

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:55:25 +1300, Peter Huebner wrote:

>> My Linux based network firewall/router has a current uptime of 161 days.
>>

>> Ma Hogany
>>

> Not many lightening strikes in your area? <g>

Not many that I am aware of.

I do shut down my network when there is a thunder storm.

Hasn't been a thunder storm for quite a while now.

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Some more figures <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061010-7954.html>
on installed bases of earlier versions of Windows: 19% of businesses
surveyed still use NT 4 Workstation, 50% still running Windows 2000 on the
desktop, and the latter figure "has not declined in recent years".

Even when old hardware fails, an older operating system environment will
still often be preferred for custom applications that would otherwise
need extensive retesting.

I wonder why things are so prone to break when moving to newer versions of
Windows...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Report on licensing restrictions
<http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35057>: upgrades to your
hardware, like replacing the motherboard, mean you'll have to buy a fresh
copy; also the cheaper editions cannot be installed on a virtual machine
(how will they tell?).

Rob

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Report on licensing restrictions
> <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35057>: upgrades to your
> hardware, like replacing the motherboard, mean you'll have to buy a fresh
> copy; also the cheaper editions cannot be installed on a virtual machine
> (how will they tell?).

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=157

<Under the current XP license, a virtual machine is a separate computer
and needs a separate license, with a separate product key and product
activation. The new terms in the license for Windows Vista Home Basic
and Home Premium continue that policy and make it crystal clear:

You may not use the software installed on the licensed device
within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system. [emphasis added]

The qualifier is crucial. Does the clause quoted above say you can't run
any copy of Vista Home Basic or Home Premium in a VM? No. It says you
cannot reuse the copy installed on your physical computer within a
virtual machine on the same computer. That's no different from the way
XP works today. If you want to run a second copy of your Windows
operating system in a VM, you need a separate license.

Doesn't explain how MS will know, but clarifies on whether you can run
home versions in VM.
--
Rob

http://grumpyalien.blogspot.com/

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog. (Peter Steiner)