Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Do you Rearly need VISTA...??

Do you Rearly need VISTA...??

Jack Hammond

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 22:03:55 +1000, Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Jack Hammond wrote:
>>
>> Its seems that XP can do most of the things that Vista can
>>
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...ta_xp_apps.asp

>I just installed a Vista scheme on my XP Home install on my
>2nd box. It looks very close to the screenshots I've seen of
>Vista, and uses less system resources to boot! I actually
>wonder if Vista itself is little more than a gloss-over of
>the XP gui elements...in practice it probably isn't!

I do think you should read this, as you are way way off.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/10945

>I still think my customised KDE 3.5.4 on my SUSE 10.1 main
>box looks more coherent...

Jack Hammond

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 02:12:14 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 19:47:55 +1300, TomC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>MaHogany wrote:

>>Win 98 is no longer supported with critical updates....Any
>>security minded person would not use it on the net.
>>

>I installed 98SE with 98Lite, dumping some of the extras, did not
>install OE, IE and Windows Scripting Host. Installed latest possible
>version of IE for the occasional time you need it, which is rare, and
>latest version of Sun Java. I have run the unofficial 98SE service
>pack from http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html and have a number of
>spyware progs and three anti-virus progs (only one running) and latest
>version of ZoneAlarm, (6.1.744.001 - the last version to be compatible
>with 9. I only use Thunderbird for e-mail and Firefox for browsing.
>For anything requiring particular security I use Opera 9, latest
>version, which according to the www.secunia.com site is the only
>browser with no holes. I have never had a virus or trojan infection.

And how to you use Active X...?

GraB

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:55:32 +1300, Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com
wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 02:12:14 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Win 98 is no longer supported with critical updates....Any
>>>security minded person would not use it on the net.
>>>

>>I installed 98SE with 98Lite, dumping some of the extras, did not
>>install OE, IE and Windows Scripting Host. Installed latest possible
>>version of IE for the occasional time you need it, which is rare, and
>>latest version of Sun Java. I have run the unofficial 98SE service
>>pack from http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html and have a number of
>>spyware progs and three anti-virus progs (only one running) and latest
>>version of ZoneAlarm, (6.1.744.001 - the last version to be compatible
>>with 9. I only use Thunderbird for e-mail and Firefox for browsing.
>>For anything requiring particular security I use Opera 9, latest
>>version, which according to the www.secunia.com site is the only
>>browser with no holes. I have never had a virus or trojan infection.
>>

>And how to you use Active X...?

I don't.

Jack Hammond

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:54:15 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:55:32 +1300, Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com
>wrote:

>>>I installed 98SE with 98Lite, dumping some of the extras, did not
>>>install OE, IE and Windows Scripting Host. Installed latest possible
>>>version of IE for the occasional time you need it, which is rare, and
>>>latest version of Sun Java. I have run the unofficial 98SE service
>>>pack from http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html and have a number of
>>>spyware progs and three anti-virus progs (only one running) and latest
>>>version of ZoneAlarm, (6.1.744.001 - the last version to be compatible
>>>with 9. I only use Thunderbird for e-mail and Firefox for browsing.
>>>For anything requiring particular security I use Opera 9, latest
>>>version, which according to the www.secunia.com site is the only
>>>browser with no holes. I have never had a virus or trojan infection.
>>>

>>And how to you use Active X...?
>>

>I don't.

Yes but some sites you have to..

GraB

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:02:29 +1300, Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com
wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:54:15 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:55:32 +1300, Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com
>>wrote:

>>>And how to you use Active X...?
>>>

>>I don't.

>Yes but some sites you have to..

I don't seem to. I have no ActiveX plugins for Opera or Firefox.

Jack Hammond

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:54:36 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:02:29 +1300, Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:54:15 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I don't.

>>Yes but some sites you have to..
>>

>I don't seem to. I have no ActiveX plugins for Opera or Firefox.

Then you do not Use the Creatives web site...

They use ActiveX for Auto updates..

Phil

Waylon Kenning wrote, On 6/10/06 9.24 a:
> T'was the Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:23:48 +1300 when I remembered Phil
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>> Vista's memory management is a *huge* shift from XP. And I've had some
>> catastrophic memory management WTFs from Linux (FC4, at least).

> Really? I haven't looked into it with any kind of detail, but I
> thought XP was pretty good on the whole not-locking-up-anymore issue
> these days. So if Vista's an improvement, bring it on.

This big improvement is in caching. Vista now uses as much physical
memory as possible to cache data you might use. XP does something like
this, but on a much smaller scale.

-Phil

Phil

GraB wrote, On 6/10/06 2.14 a:
> I have always found that if Explorer falls over, rare, it restarts
> itself.

It usually does, but sometimes you have to force it (especially if you
have any other explorer processes running).

-Phil

Phil

Jack Hammond wrote, On 6/10/06 8.24 p:
> Then you do not Use the Creatives web site...
>
> They use ActiveX for Auto updates..

And there's no manual download?! What sort of brain-dead business
decision is that?

There's a courier company in NZ (can't remember the name) who requires
ActiveX for their package tracking, and all it does is fill a textbox.

-Phil

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Plus, with the stricter antipiracy checks, you can also expect screwups like
this
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/04/microsoft_wga-validation_snafu/>
to become more common...