Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Do you Rearly need VISTA...??

Do you Rearly need VISTA...??

Phil

MaHogany wrote, On 5/10/06 11.51 p:
> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 22:31:36 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:
>
>> Not from a memory management point of view. I like the idea of not
>> having to restart my computer when an application kills Explorer.

> So you'll very much like Linux - it's got superior memory management -
> especially when compared with anything produced by Micro$oft.

Really? And you know this with your internal knowledge of the Windows
memory management algorithms? Or, some quantitative research done on the
topic?
</sarcasm>

Vista's memory management is a *huge* shift from XP. And I've had some
catastrophic memory management WTFs from Linux (FC4, at least).

-Phil

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Jack Hammond wrote:

> Its seems that XP can do most of the things that Vista can
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...ta_xp_apps.asp

I just installed a Vista scheme on my XP Home install on my
2nd box. It looks very close to the screenshots I've seen of
Vista, and uses less system resources to boot! I actually
wonder if Vista itself is little more than a gloss-over of
the XP gui elements...in practice it probably isn't!

I still think my customised KDE 3.5.4 on my SUSE 10.1 main
box looks more coherent...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

GraB

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 10:39:03 +1300, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Jack Hammond" <jm@yah***.com> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>

>> Its seems that XP can do most of the things that Vista can
>>

>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...ta_xp_apps.asp
>>

>And 98 can do most of the things XP can.
>So whyd we upgrade ?
>Because we're consumers and we fall for MS's BS

Still running 98SE here. It does everything I want. The only time I
would consider upgrading (and only to XP) is if I get a dual-core
setup.

GraB

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:34:40 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
wrote:

>Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:46:38 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>For the average user maybe. As a power user, I couldn't go back to 98.
>>>Lacking too much functionality. I imagine Vista will be the same after
>>>I've had it for a while, though it won't be because of any of the apps
>>>mentioned above, it will just be the overall improvements to the
>>>underlying OS.
>>>

>> Plus all the Added DRM and now ALL versions require validation..
>>
>> No you can keep it..
>>
>> Its has cost me a small fortune to keep up with the mad MS Race to rip
>> every one off.

>Ever thought of giving lunix a go

I reckon that, with good stuff coming along in Linux, more will turn
to it rather than to Vista.

GraB

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 19:47:55 +1300, TomC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>MaHogany wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:46:38 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>>
>>> For the average user maybe. As a power user, I couldn't go back to 98.
>>> Lacking too much functionality. I imagine Vista will be the same after I've
>>> had it for a while, though it won't be because of any of the apps mentioned
>>> above, it will just be the overall improvements to the underlying OS

>Win 98 is no longer supported with critical updates....Any
>security minded person would not use it on the net.

I installed 98SE with 98Lite, dumping some of the extras, did not
install OE, IE and Windows Scripting Host. Installed latest possible
version of IE for the occasional time you need it, which is rare, and
latest version of Sun Java. I have run the unofficial 98SE service
pack from http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html and have a number of
spyware progs and three anti-virus progs (only one running) and latest
version of ZoneAlarm, (6.1.744.001 - the last version to be compatible
with 9. I only use Thunderbird for e-mail and Firefox for browsing.
For anything requiring particular security I use Opera 9, latest
version, which according to the www.secunia.com site is the only
browser with no holes. I have never had a virus or trojan infection.

GraB

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>T'was the Thu, 5 Oct 2006 22:02:41 +1300 when I remembered Peter
>Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>You got that back to front: win98 does not have a number of the vulnerabilities
>>that were introduced by XP. With some simple free 3rd party software like
>>Sygate firewall and AVG antivir it's just as bombproof if not more so as XP at
>>the latest patch level.

>Not from a memory management point of view. I like the idea of not
>having to restart my computer when an application kills Explorer.

I have always found that if Explorer falls over, rare, it restarts
itself.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:23:48 +1300 when I remembered Phil

>Vista's memory management is a *huge* shift from XP. And I've had some
>catastrophic memory management WTFs from Linux (FC4, at least).

Really? I haven't looked into it with any kind of detail, but I
thought XP was pretty good on the whole not-locking-up-anymore issue
these days. So if Vista's an improvement, bring it on.

One thing that always did grate on me, and hopefully is somewhat
rectified, is the need to constantly restart to do things. I know you
don't have to do it with video card drivers anymore which is good.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Rupert Boleyn

wrote:

>Ever thought of giving lunix a go

That's what I'm going back to. In fact, I'll be installing Kbuntu on
my home desktop later today, now that I've got my hands on a new hard
drive.
--
Rupert Boleyn <(E-Mail Removed)>

Rupert Boleyn

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not from a memory management point of view. I like the idea of not
>having to restart my computer when an application kills Explorer.

It's memory management is also much faster than Win98's, so apps start
and load data into memory faster.
--
Rupert Boleyn <(E-Mail Removed)>

Rupert Boleyn

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 00:15:36 +1300, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Point taken. Then again, I used to run '98 for a week and more at a time
>without reboots becoming necessary. And XP pro still goes fubar on me every
>month or three with corrupted memory ... it's gotten much better though, as you
>say.

I ran XP continuously for 16 days before rebooot recently. It was
getting screwy by the end of that period, but it didn't fall over. I
was a little surprised, as I've never had a home windows install stay
up that long before.
--
Rupert Boleyn <(E-Mail Removed)>