Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > If I wanted to try Fedora?

If I wanted to try Fedora?

Chris Hope

Joy wrote:

> Where is the best place to download it from? How is best installed on
> an xp home machine to dual boot?

If you're going to download it rather than buy it (as suggested by a
couple of others here) then you may want to wait a week until the next
version is released (Fedora Core 6).

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Core/Schedule for more details about
when it's due to be released. At the current time it's due to be
released on October 11th.

If you do want to get FC5 now and download it, Wicks will be the best
bet as it's located in NZ so should generally be faster than overseas
mirrors:

for 32 bit systems:
ftp://ftp.wicks.co.nz/pub/linux/dist/fedora/5/i386/iso

for 64 bit systems:
ftp://ftp.wicks.co.nz/pub/linux/dist...a/5/x86_64/iso

Shane

Joy wrote:

> "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
> news:eg0thn$j5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Waylon Kenning wrote:
>>
>>> T'was the Wed, 4 Oct 2006 22:00:44 +1300 when I remembered "Joy"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>> Two possible problems with that scenario.
>> If the Windows partition is marked as Hidden FAT32 0x1B 0x1C or NTFS
>> hidden
>> 0x17 Then the windows partition may become unbootable after the install
>> (Its easy to fix, just fire up cfdisk and change the Type for the windows
>> partition to 0x0B 0x0C or (NTFS) 0x07 but its more than your average
>> beginner can grok)
>> Another problem with Partition magic, and more likely, is the map to
>> ntoskrnl will change, and its a prick to find it with the boot.ini for
>> the experienced, let alone a beginner
>>
>> In light of these issues, I suggest Joy finds the local Linux User Group,
>> go
>> to a meeting with her computer and someone will help her out
>> </muddying the water>
>> --
>> Zapp Brannigan: The key to victory is dicipline, and that means a well
>> made
>> bed. You will practice until you can make your bed in your sleep.
>> Fry: You mean while I'm sleeping in it?
>> Zapp Brannigan: You won't have time for sleeping soldier, not with all
>> the bed making you'll be doing.

> I have not got a copy of partition magic. The pc in question is a new
> one,
> home built and I formated both partitions on the 280g hard disk to ntfs,
> the one containing windows is 30g. The second partition has 160g still
> free. I use it mainly for video editing which requires lots of space. The
> dvd fedora image downloaded overnight, I notice that it's a winRAR
> archive, so I guess it needs to be unpacked before writing to dvd. So you
> think installing
> it is beyond this old lady? It quite possibly is. What a shame, the last
> time I tried to install a type of linux, years ago, it was a disaster.
> Since then I've been practising installing various windows os's on various
> machines and I've got more confidence. But now, to be on the safe side,
> I'll have to find someone to help me.
> Joy

My only thoughts are, I have no idea on your abilities.
If you can dual boot windows, you have the *basic* concepts for dual booting
any operating systems. ie. prepare some space, load your shiny new OS into
that space, install a boot loader
Linux is trivial to install with graphic installers on most distros, and
warnings of dire consequences in the appropriate places

Having said that having experienced hands watch over a first go is always a
good idea. What city are you in?
There are LUGs in most larger citys, and if not theres always a linux
enthusiast floating around

--
Planet Express Ship: Oh honey, look! The Tapirs! It says here that the
babies lose their pyjama-like coat after their first year. Isn't that

blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

Joy

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eg12mt$amp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joy wrote:
>
>> I have not got a copy of partition magic. The pc in question is a new
>> one, home built and I formated both partitions on the 280g hard disk to
>> ntfs, the one containing windows is 30g. The second partition has 160g
>> still free. I use it mainly for video editing which requires lots of
>> space. The dvd fedora image downloaded overnight, I notice that it's a
>> winRAR archive, so I guess it needs to be unpacked before writing to dvd.
>> So you think installing it is beyond this old lady? It quite possibly
>> is. What a shame, the last time I tried to install a type of linux, years
>> ago, it was a disaster. Since then I've been practising installing
>> various windows os's on various machines and I've got more confidence.
>> But now, to be on the safe side, I'll have to find someone to help me.

> Any particular reason for choosing Fedora as opposed to Ubuntu (or
> something else a bit more newbie friendly)?

It's on the pc's at school and I'm at least a little familiar with it. I was
lucky to access a linux guru today in the flesh! He advised me to install
VMware server and gave me dvd of Fedora 4 to try as a virtual machine. I
think thats great, I'm sure I'll be able to manage that on my own.
Joy

Joy

Thanks for all your comments.
Joy

Nicholas Lee

Try is a broad term.

My suggestion is Ubuntu instead of Fedora. Better for new users. Plus
you can get a LiveCD, which gives you the option of installing if you
like it. Should be able to resize a Windows partition to make space.

You can get a free CD here: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Or download it from here:
http://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu-releases/6.06/

"The desktop CD allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer
at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. This type
of CD is what most people will want to use. You will need at least
192MB of RAM to install from this CD."

You probably want:
http://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu-rel...sktop-i386.iso

The Fedora install process is a pain. If you must 'try' Fedora I
suggest getting vmware player and download an Fedora vmware image.
Best place for that is: http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/

Nicholas

Gordon

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 08:02:01 +1300, Joy wrote:

> So you think installing
> it is beyond this old lady? It quite possibly is. What a shame, the last
> time I tried to install a type of linux, years ago, it was a disaster.

Ms Penguin here. Years ago you say? Look the installers have bcome so
swish these days its almost boring. The Linux people have put alot of
effort into the installers in the last few years.

Ubuntu, just click on install after loading the live CD. Have a cup of
coffee, answer a few questions and do the *only* reboot required into the
installed system.

How about putting in another HD? Then you can install Linux to that disk.
Just a thought.

Also, you will have gain an experience and understanding of PCs by doing
installations

Gordon

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 22:31:40 +1300, MaHogany wrote:

> 7/ Learn how to use the VI text editor - it's the best of the
> terminal/Konsole based textfile editors - you may end up needing it when
> you don't have a GUI to use.

Easy now, while vi is there when all else may not be, could I suggest that
the learning of it be done when one is a) interested in doing so and
b)when one is calm.

vi is command line on steriods, and eccentic as well.

Do learn it though, at least in part for it will be there when you need it.

steve

Joy wrote:

> "MaHogany" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>> 7/ Learn how to use the VI text editor - it's the best of the
>> terminal/Konsole based textfile editors - you may end up needing it when
>> you don't have a GUI to use.

> Thanks for your advice.
> Joy

vi is a pain for folks used to GUIs.

Better is "nano".

It's text-based, not-GUI, but it is not a line editor from the 1960s...which
is what vi is.....or was last time I looked at it.

MaHogany

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:57:48 +1300, steve wrote:

> It's text-based, not-GUI, but it is not a line editor from the 1960s...which
> is what vi is.....or was last time I looked at it.

VI is not a "line editor".

Emacs is a "line editor".

Do not use "Emacs".

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

MaHogany

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 17:11:15 +1300, Gordon wrote:

> vi is command line on steriods, and eccentic as well.

VI is the most powerful console based plain text editor there is.

It is trivially easy to use once you've learned the commands.

Arguably as easy to learn as what Wordstar under CPM was.

Ma Hogany