Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > FTP port open on Cisco 1841

FTP port open on Cisco 1841

syn_NOSPAM_uw

Hello,

I've got a brand new Cisco 1841 router for our SHDSL leased line, basic
configured with nothing currently running behind it. Now I wanted to see
what nmap (a unix scanning port tool) detects and surprisingly it
detects that port 21 (FTP) is open as you can see here below:

% sudo nmap <IP>

Starting nmap 3.81 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-04-11 23:35
CEST
Interesting ports on <hostname> (<IP>):
(The 1662 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT STATE SERVICE
21/tcp open ftp

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 11.328 seconds

Somehow port 21 on our router's IP adresse answers but is not functional
(no FTP service). Now haven't seen any FTP service in the router's
configuration itself, I am wondering from where does this come and why
is that ??? And how can I disable this without configuring an ACL ?

Many thanks

Regards

Merv

what does "show ip sockets" display ?

syn_NOSPAM_uw

Merv wrote:
> what does "show ip sockets" display ?

Here is the output of "show ip sockets":

router#show ip sockets
Proto Remote Port Local Port In Out Stat TTY OutputIF
17 0.0.0.0 0 <external_IP> 67 0 0 2211 0
17 --listen-- --any-- 123 0 0 1 0

Merv

since this will be an Internet facing router, i would suggest that you
implment the IOS firewall feature.

see
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...080458321.html