Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ipod Shuffle

Ipod Shuffle

Shane

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Disclaimer: I've read a bit about udev rules, but I've never actually
> written one.

Theres an excellent tute at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=168221
Using that framework I wrote the following udev rule
at /etc/udev/rules.d/60-ipod.rules

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{product}=="iPod ",
KERNEL=="sd?1",NAME="ipod",SYMLINK="ipod"

The name is important, its where the ipod is mounted in /dev and /media The
bus and SYSFS{product} are for identifying the device when it plugs in. The
KERNEL is the device node (the ? gives us the flexibility you mentioned)

Finally all I had to do was plug the shuffle in, and adjust the preferences
of gtkPod to use that mount point

--
"Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to
pound in the correct screw."

By: " unknown"

blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <eg5ek4$9bm$(E-Mail Removed)>, I wrote:

> The trouble with that is "sda1" is a very generic device name. Your hard
> drive is PATA, isn't it? Because SATA (and SCSI) hard drives would
> have "sd" names as well. So if you added one of those to your machine, it
> would take over the sda1 name, then when you plugged in your iPod, it
> would become sda2.

Sorry, that "sda2" should be "sdb1".