Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Email Store folder location

Email Store folder location

PeeCee

Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their email
store folders where they do.

Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?

Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long path
to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.

Paul.

E. Scrooge

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their email
> store folders where they do.
>
> Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
> Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?
>
> Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long
> path to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.
>
> Paul.

To keep nosey people out of them.

E. Scrooge

-=rjh=-

PeeCee wrote:
> Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their email
> store folders where they do.
>
> Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
> Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?

I don't think so. My Documents shouldn't be cluttered up with files that
are only ever accessed or viewable through a particular application;
almost certainly some users would think they weren't necessary and
delete them.

In the default location, Thunderbird mail gets backed up when you back
up all of the Documents and Settings folder, which seems sensible to me.
Why would you want to deal with mail separately - it all needs backing
up, surely?

And it is a hell of a lot better than the original braindead location
that OE used to store its files.

> Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long path
> to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.

Once it is set up and automated, surely it doesn't matter? The client
will never have to deal with it.

~misfit~

PeeCee wrote:
> Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their
> email store folders where they do.
>
> Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
> Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?
>
> Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the
> long path to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.

I always change the path on installation to a folder that I regularly back
up as I have saved messages that go back years which I like to keep.
--
Shaun.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- wrote:

> My Documents shouldn't be cluttered up with files that
> are only ever accessed or viewable through a particular application...

You mean, like Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <1159743379.406046@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:

> "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long
>> path to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.

> To keep nosey people out of them.

Security through convolution??

-=rjh=-

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- wrote:
>
>> My Documents shouldn't be cluttered up with files that
>> are only ever accessed or viewable through a particular application...

> You mean, like Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents?

No, I don't.

Those documents (user-created data) are viewable by multiple
applications as bare, standalone files, and often managed by the user
directly using Windows Explorer. At the time documents are generated,
the user is given the choice of where to save them, so they can use My
Documents (which is the first-run default for some filetypes) if they wish.

They are quite different to something like an email store (which is
application data), which is set up for the application at installation,
never seen by the user, and difficult to view or manage using any other
application than the one that generated it. Likewise, there is no need
for the user to ever be aware of the huge amount of clutter behind
something like their Firefox profile, having this in My Documents would
be confusing.

NZ School Tech

In article <1159743379.406046@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

> "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their email
> > store folders where they do.
> >
> > Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
> > Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?
> >
> > Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long
> > path to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.
> >
> > Paul.

> To keep nosey people out of them.
>
> E. Scrooge

The location for Mozilla is in the user's profile. On a networked
computer this means the files will be uploaded back to the server if
roaming profiles are enabled. The Application Data folder can also be
redirected seamlessly to a network location. These measures ensure files
are always backed up.

TomC

NZ School Tech wrote:
> In article <1159743379.406046@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
>> "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their email
>>> store folders where they do.
>>>
>>> Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
>>> Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?
>>>
>>> Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long
>>> path to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.
>>>
>>> Paul.

>> To keep nosey people out of them.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> The location for Mozilla is in the user's profile. On a networked
> computer this means the files will be uploaded back to the server if
> roaming profiles are enabled. The Application Data folder can also be
> redirected seamlessly to a network location. These measures ensure files
> are always backed up.

copy the store folder to where you want, then go
to Account Settings > Server Settings &
change all the Local Directories to the new location

cheers Tom
--
* Thankfully this message was not scanned by AVG
Free *

wogers nemesis

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:58:55 +1300, PeeCee wrote:

> Can anyone give me a reason why OE, Thunderbird .... etc park their email
> store folders where they do.
>
> Would it not be more logical for them to be in (say) a folder like My
> Documents rather than buried in the locations they are?
>
> Just reviewing data backup procedures for a client and though the long path
> to the email store folder was er 'difficult'.
>
> Paul.

Hmmm, on OS X they do for Eudora and Entourage stroage folders in the
Documents folder, and from time to time some users move them ... and end up
with a nice clean and empty mail folder.