Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux distributions

Linux distributions

Matty F

I have forgotten the name of the Linux distribution that a kind person
installed on a spare hard drive on my PC. The name is really quite
childish, and I can't see it in any Linux lists anywhere.
However it seemed to be very easy to use and I'd like to now use it and
to get on the the Internet.
It was not obvious to me how to connect to the Intenet. With Win98SE
I'm using ADSL via a USB port.

There are difficulties.
The Linux disk drive is currently unplugged and I'd like to turn the
power off while connecting it etc.
The Win98SE drive has hardware errors and will probably not work again
if I turn the power off.
I have backed up all my important data on to CD, which consists of text
files, JPG etc.

So my questions are:
1. What's a silly damn Linux distribution name so that I can Google it?
2. Will Linux be able to read my Win98SE backups on CD?

Ray Greene

On 29 Sep 2006 13:52:47 -0700, "Matty F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have forgotten the name of the Linux distribution that a kind person
>installed on a spare hard drive on my PC. The name is really quite
>childish, and I can't see it in any Linux lists anywhere.
>However it seemed to be very easy to use and I'd like to now use it and
>to get on the the Internet.
>It was not obvious to me how to connect to the Intenet. With Win98SE
>I'm using ADSL via a USB port.
>
>There are difficulties.
>The Linux disk drive is currently unplugged and I'd like to turn the
>power off while connecting it etc.

Excellent idea

See if you can find it on http://distrowatch.com

>2. Will Linux be able to read my Win98SE backups on CD?

Should do.

--
Ray Greene

Malcolm

On 29 Sep 2006 13:52:47 -0700
"Matty F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have forgotten the name of the Linux distribution that a kind person
> installed on a spare hard drive on my PC. The name is really quite
> childish, and I can't see it in any Linux lists anywhere.
> However it seemed to be very easy to use and I'd like to now use it
> and to get on the the Internet.
> It was not obvious to me how to connect to the Intenet. With Win98SE
> I'm using ADSL via a USB port.
>
> There are difficulties.
> The Linux disk drive is currently unplugged and I'd like to turn the
> power off while connecting it etc.
> The Win98SE drive has hardware errors and will probably not work again
> if I turn the power off.
> I have backed up all my important data on to CD, which consists of
> text files, JPG etc.
>
> So my questions are:
> 1. What's a silly damn Linux distribution name so that I can Google
> it? 2. Will Linux be able to read my Win98SE backups on CD?

Hi
Puppy or Damn Small Linux maybe;

http://www.puppyos.com/
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Have you looked here;

http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

If it's just text files and jpegs should be no problems. Puppy has
Abiword which should be ok for any word type documents.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿°
SUSE 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.13-15.10-smp

Matty F

Malcolm wrote:

> Puppy or Damn Small Linux maybe;
>
> http://www.puppyos.com/
> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
>
> Have you looked here;
>
> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

No the name is not there. Perhaps "distribution" is the wrong word.
All I can say is that there were just a few Linux systems being
installed in an instalfest in Auckland, and this was one of them and it
was called a name that would put most people off it.
i.e. it is a really really common name.

On the other hand, what piece of software allows a connection to the
Internet on a Linux system? I could not see anything, even though
almost every piece of software known in Linux is on my machine.

Earl Grey

Matty F wrote:
> Malcolm wrote:
>
>> Puppy or Damn Small Linux maybe;
>>
>> http://www.puppyos.com/
>> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
>>
>> Have you looked here;
>>
>> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

> No the name is not there. Perhaps "distribution" is the wrong word.
> All I can say is that there were just a few Linux systems being
> installed in an instalfest in Auckland, and this was one of them and it
> was called a name that would put most people off it.
> i.e. it is a really really common name.

Something as common as a window or an apple

> On the other hand, what piece of software allows a connection to the
> Internet on a Linux system? I could not see anything, even though
> almost every piece of software known in Linux is on my machine.

If you have the option of connecting by ethernet to your ADSL router it
will probably easier to get working than USB

Usually just the network connections GUI applet in your system options
is sufficient if you are connecting via an ethernet connection.
Otherwise all linux distros keep their network settings in
/etc/network/interfaces
with an entry like
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

for help on this file try
man interfaces

For dialup there are configurators like kppp
I've always tried to to keep connections to linux boxes either serial
port modems or ethernet because thats all guaranteed to work.

If I was going to try connecting a USB modem I would be looking at a
distro like ubuntu which has ndiswrapper to host the windows driver
supplied with the modem.
You probably shouldn't bother with any of that if you have, or can put a
network card in your pc and use the ethernet connection if for example
you have received a Dlink DSL302 as part of your ADSL account.

Mark Robinson

Matty F wrote:
> Malcolm wrote:
>
>> Puppy or Damn Small Linux maybe;
>>
>> http://www.puppyos.com/
>> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
>>
>> Have you looked here;
>>
>> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

> No the name is not there. Perhaps "distribution" is the wrong word.
> All I can say is that there were just a few Linux systems being
> installed in an instalfest in Auckland, and this was one of them and it
> was called a name that would put most people off it.
> i.e. it is a really really common name.

here are some more lists:

> http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
> http://www.linux.org/dist/list.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._distributions

> On the other hand, what piece of software allows a connection to the
> Internet on a Linux system? I could not see anything, even though
> almost every piece of software known in Linux is on my machine.

This depends on the distribution and the installation.

Using ADSL via USB is beyond my experience, however if you were using a CAT5
ethernet interface then making sure it was configured to set it's networking
parameters using DHCP it should just work. The ifconfig command may help, or ip
if you are using a recent system.

You may wish to look at the file /etc/networking/interfaces if it exists on
your linux system.

A Ubuntu CD may be a better way to start experimenting if your system will
support it. You can sign up at the website and they will send you one free, or
I'm sure someone near you will burn you one if you can't download and burn one
yourself.

Philip

Matty F wrote:
> I have forgotten the name of the Linux distribution that a kind person
> installed on a spare hard drive on my PC. The name is really quite
> childish, and I can't see it in any Linux lists anywhere.
> However it seemed to be very easy to use and I'd like to now use it and
> to get on the the Internet.
> It was not obvious to me how to connect to the Intenet. With Win98SE
> I'm using ADSL via a USB port.
>
> There are difficulties.
> The Linux disk drive is currently unplugged and I'd like to turn the
> power off while connecting it etc.
> The Win98SE drive has hardware errors and will probably not work again
> if I turn the power off.
> I have backed up all my important data on to CD, which consists of text
> files, JPG etc.
>
> So my questions are:
> 1. What's a silly damn Linux distribution name so that I can Google it?
> 2. Will Linux be able to read my Win98SE backups on CD?

Silly is a matter of opinion - would you seriously call an oil company
Shell, a computer maker Apple, a power lines company Thus?

I suggest you get hold of an Ubuntu CD (I can send you one if you like -
e-mail your address to me at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)) and try it out. Boot
from it, check out what it does, see if it can read your backups (I
expect it will) and if you like it then install it on your machine,
either as a dual-boot or as the only OS on the hard drive.

If you are running Win 98SE you probably have a fairly limited amount of
space on the HD, like 10 GB. You can certainly run Linux on a small HD,
or you may like to consider getting a larger (120 GB) HD and installing
your new OS on that. There is nothing to stop you re-installing your
Windows 98SE or a later version of Windows if you have one, and then
installing Ubuntu beside it. You could easily use either of your
existing HDs in a USB housing, so you could access all your data without
worrying about the integrity of the OS segment.

Over the last few months I've been progressivel transferring all my
home and work computers to Ubuntu Linux, and have so far met no
insuperable problems.

Pretty much everything that runs on Windows can either be cajoled with
WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) into running on Linux or has a Linux
equivalent, including major business programs.

The advantages of Ubuntu Linux over MS Windows:

It's stable, pretty well virus-free, and costs you nothing.
It's inherently secure - malware has much less chance to get into your
system and do harm, and the criminal filth that write and distribute
harmful programs tend not to try to attack Linux.
There are no EULA contracts to sign
There are no licensing issues in a business environment (can you really
prove to FAST & the BSA that you have valid licences for everything on
your computer, and show them the purchase invoices & receipts?)
The OS does not limit what you can do with your computer, nor does it
'call home' unless you tell it to.
Upgrades are just that - they don't try to take rights and potential
away from you
Linux, like the Unix that is in its ancestry, is inherently a networking
system. Ubuntu can run very well on its own, but is also designed to
make the most of being online, and will, if you agree, configure itself
to any network it finds.
You can get in touch directly with the people that write the program,
and with countless online experts who will help you.
You won't have to get involved with the restrictive DRM-laden Windows Vista

The advantages of MS Windows over Ubuntu Linux

There's more overt support and hand-holding in magazines and books
You can buy support direct from the Microsoft company, even for Win98 SE
if you are a big enough corporate, but you really shouldn't be running
that in a business environment. You'd be better off with Win 2K, which
is solid, stable and still has residual corporate support.
Most people you know are running MS Windows
Virtually any hardware you have is supported by its manufacturer for MS
Windows
Nobody in a Windows support forum will sneer at you for being a n00b
(newbie) and not knowing something.

For me the choice is clear.

Philip

Gordon

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:40:34 +1200, Philip wrote:

> The advantages of MS Windows over Ubuntu Linux

[snip]

> Nobody in a Windows support forum will sneer at you for being a n00b
> (newbie) and not knowing something.

Huh? The Linux support groups are friendly, with the odd grump.

Shane

Matty F wrote:

> Malcolm wrote:
>
>> Puppy or Damn Small Linux maybe;
>>
>> http://www.puppyos.com/
>> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
>>
>> Have you looked here;
>>
>> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

> No the name is not there. Perhaps "distribution" is the wrong word.
> All I can say is that there were just a few Linux systems being
> installed in an instalfest in Auckland, and this was one of them and it
> was called a name that would put most people off it.
> i.e. it is a really really common name.

Have you, um, thought about asking the Auckland Lug?
They run a mailing list somewhere

> On the other hand, what piece of software allows a connection to the
> Internet on a Linux system? I could not see anything, even though
> almost every piece of software known in Linux is on my machine.

--
Ndnd:[reading a candy heart] What is this emotion you call 'wuv'?
Lrrr: Surely it says 'love'!

blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

Philip

Gordon wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:40:34 +1200, Philip wrote:
>
>> The advantages of MS Windows over Ubuntu Linux
>>

> [snip]
>
>> Nobody in a Windows support forum will sneer at you for being a n00b
>> (newbie) and not knowing something.

> Huh? The Linux support groups are friendly, with the odd grump.

Indeed, most are, particularly the Ubuntu groups, but I've seen some
absolute classics of teen testosterone strutting in several of the
geberal Linux discussions.

It's usually centred around "my OS / computer / willy is bigger / better
/ cooler than anything you would have in the rat-infested dungheap you
call home" shouting matches.

A bit like Apple Mac fanboys only with more bad language and l33t-speak.

Philip

Best Linux Distributions, Software for Photo Processing? john.valceanu@gmail.com Digital Photography 77 09-07-2009 11:07 AM
Perl performance difference between Linux distributions Markus Kuhn Perl Misc 10 08-21-2007 03:09 PM
Linux Distributions Timetable Philip Charles NZ Computing 0 10-19-2006 05:00 AM
Statistical distributions noshit XML 1 02-07-2005 09:16 PM
Building .jar distributions Tim Java 16 12-05-2003 09:58 PM

Advertisments