Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WTB: Fan for old PC case

WTB: Fan for old PC case

Jeremy

I'm after a fan to fit a '98-vintage case housing a '06-vintage
system. The case has room for a fan at bottom front but it must either be
a '2 screw' fan or fit in a plastic cage. Pics available or perhaps
someone knows what I'm on about already...

(originally posted to nz.wanted)

EMB

Jeremy wrote:
> I'm after a fan to fit a '98-vintage case housing a '06-vintage
> system. The case has room for a fan at bottom front but it must either be
> a '2 screw' fan or fit in a plastic cage. Pics available or perhaps
> someone knows what I'm on about already...
>
> (originally posted to nz.wanted)

Dimensions?

--
EMB

Jeremy

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:48:13 +1200, EMB wrote:

> Jeremy wrote:
>> I'm after a fan to fit a '98-vintage case housing a '06-vintage
>> system. The case has room for a fan at bottom front but it must either be
>> a '2 screw' fan or fit in a plastic cage. Pics available or perhaps
>> someone knows what I'm on about already...
>>
>> (originally posted to nz.wanted)

> Dimensions?

Cage will take an 80mm x 80mm assembly (which I'm guessing means a blade
diameter of less than 80mm...). This 'clips' into the cage which then
clips onto the case.

Gordon

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:37:25 +1200, Jeremy wrote:

> Cage will take an 80mm x 80mm assembly (which I'm guessing means a blade
> diameter of less than 80mm...). This 'clips' into the cage which then
> clips onto the case.

These are still 2 a penny. The 80 by 80 by 25mm fans. You might need to
ask Heath Robinson how to phyically fix it tough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/histori...am_heath.shtml

Good grief, he was an artist! The term Heath Robinson means to me that
something is rather basic, yet functional.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/histori...am_heath.shtml
>
> Good grief, he was an artist! The term Heath Robinson means to me that
> something is rather basic, yet functional.

He was to the Brits what Rube Goldberg was to the Yanks. Rather than "basic,
yet functional", the term refers to the use of incredibly convoluted and
complicated mechanisms to perform very simple tasks.

Jeremy

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:49:50 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:

These are still 2 a penny. The 80 by 80 by 25mm fans. You might need to
ask Heath Robinson how to phyically fix it tough.

>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/histori...am_heath.shtml
>>
>> Good grief, he was an artist! The term Heath Robinson means to me that
>> something is rather basic, yet functional.

> He was to the Brits what Rube Goldberg was to the Yanks. Rather than "basic,
> yet functional", the term refers to the use of incredibly convoluted and
> complicated mechanisms to perform very simple tasks.

Disambiguation much appreciated guys... and I'm not averse to reaching for
the #8 wire... (or icosahedral carbon-ytterbium nanostructures as need be)
but I can't believe that an 'off the (dusty, probably) shelf' solution
does not exist given that the cage was presumably designed to hold
_something_ (either in existence or soon to be so)!!! And presumably hold
it with the required force...