Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Unlimited Data Boardband From Xtra For $49 A Month.

Reply
Thread Tools

New Unlimited Data Boardband From Xtra For $49 A Month.

 
 
Sue Bilstein
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2006
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:26:45 +1200, steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>E. Scrooge wrote:
>> According to TV3 News.
>>
>> Guess what the complaints are now?
>> ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want something
>> done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of NZ.
>>
>> By being super competitive with a realistic plan Xtra has seen the light at
>> long last, and should do very well out of it by getting an even bigger share
>> of the market out of it.
>>
>> If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
>> benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
>> matter.

>
>You have a lot of catching up to do.


Yeah, reeducation camp for you, Scrooge. You have to understand that
when xtra broadband is too expensive, that means Telecom should be
nationalised, and when xtra broadband is too cheap, that means Telecom
should be nationalised.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
E. Scrooge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2006

"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:efapgb$rfd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <1159258090.558602@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:
>
>>
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> news:efakpt$idf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In message <1159252721.231824@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:
>>>
>>>> Guess what the complaints are now?
>>>> ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want
>>>> something
>>>> done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of
>>>> NZ.
>>>
>>> Yah! The Gummint should keep its meddling hands out of business! Leave
>>> Telecom and its monopoly alone.

>>
>> Whatever is best for the consumer.

>
> Who decides?


The consumer of course.

That's why more people shop at dairies instead of supermarkets, and why more
people buy BMWs instead of Toyotas.

People enjoy paying more than they need to for things.

How much is boardband overseas?
Are people in the US restricted to as much data as 200MB a month for $20
(US)?

E. Scrooge


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
E. Scrooge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2006

"Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4518f410$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> news:efakpt$idf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In message <1159252721.231824@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:
>>>
>>>> Guess what the complaints are now?
>>>> ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want
>>>> something
>>>> done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of
>>>> NZ.
>>> Yah! The Gummint should keep its meddling hands out of business! Leave
>>> Telecom and its monopoly alone.

>>
>> Whatever is best for the consumer.
>>
>> No one is grizzling because SKY TV has Pay TV all to themselves.

>
> Jeeze Scroogie I thought you had as few more clues that this.
>
> Apart from where TC have their own cable, access to faster-than-dialup
> internet is through Telecom. At present we have a choice of ISP providers
> because Telecom in the past have chosen to make what amounts to 'last
> mile' ADSL services available to non-telecom ISPs at a rate that allows
> them to compete profitably with Xtra (Telecom's ISP service). Until
> unbundling is fully implemented, other ISPs are dependent on being able to
> compete with Xtra while paying Telecom to connect their ADSL customers.
>
> So ISPs cannot compete with Xtra with the new plans - not because Xtra are
> ultra-competitive but because the last-mile Telecom charges for ADSL
> connections does not allow ISPs to operate profitably while matching Xtras
> pricing. So either Xtra pricing is too low (Telecom subsidising Xtra) or
> Telecom pricing to Xtra is way lower than for external ISPs (typical
> monopolistic practice).
>
> Now when you can only get full-speed ADSL through Xtra just how long do
> you think the existing pricing will last?
>
> In case you cant see where this is headed, if Foodstuffs undercut all
> their rivals and put them out of business, when the last non-Foodstuffs
> supermarket closes its doors what would you expect to happen to the goods
> they have to sell (given that without competition they can charge what
> they like)? Why would Telecom/Xtra act any differently?
>
> This is the situation if I understand things correctly.
>
> Where do you get the impression that everyone is happy with Sky TV?
>
> Crash.


Thousands of people use SKY TV, if they weren't happy they wouldn't be using
it.

AOL most likely have good value plans. No reason why NZ shouldn't have as
well.

E. Scrooge


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Lim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2006
Sue Bilstein wrote:
> Yeah, reeducation camp for you, Scrooge. You have to understand that
> when xtra broadband is too expensive, that means Telecom should be
> nationalised, and when xtra broadband is too cheap, that means Telecom
> should be nationalised.


Surely the complaint is about Telecom's wholesale rates to Xtra versus
other ISP's, rather than Xtra's retail packages. But hasn't this
already been dealt with before? Have Telecom found a loophole that they
are now exploiting? Or, God forbid, are Xtra just offering a better
deal and making less profit in order to win back customers? (I know,
I'm so naive...)

 
Reply With Quote
 
E. Scrooge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2006

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:42:29 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
> (*sling)> wrote:
>
>>According to TV3 News.
>>
>>Guess what the complaints are now?
>>ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want something
>>done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of NZ.
>>
>>By being super competitive with a realistic plan Xtra has seen the light
>>at
>>long last, and should do very well out of it by getting an even bigger
>>share
>>of the market out of it.
>>
>>If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
>>benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
>>matter.
>>

> Story on Teletext says Commerce Commision have confirmed they are
> looking at the latest plans after receiving complaints.


Big deal.
Going through the motions of looking at and actually doing something are 2
different things.
When compared to what's offered overseas the plans are fair ones, not
complete giveaways.

E. Scrooge


 
Reply With Quote
 
MaHogany
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2006
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:42:29 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:

> If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
> benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
> matter.


Remember - Xtra *IS* Telecom, separated by an accounting line.


Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

 
Reply With Quote
 
WD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2006

MaHogany wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:42:29 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:
>
> > If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
> > benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
> > matter.

>
> Remember - Xtra *IS* Telecom, separated by an accounting line.


As I recall Telecom was privatised. Thus, shouldn't it exist for the
sake of its shareholders rather than for the sake of the general
public?


Weihana.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Vista
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2006

"WD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> MaHogany wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:42:29 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:
>>
>> > If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for
>> > the
>> > benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for
>> > that
>> > matter.

>>
>> Remember - Xtra *IS* Telecom, separated by an accounting line.

>
> As I recall Telecom was privatised. Thus, shouldn't it exist for the
> sake of its shareholders rather than for the sake of the general
> public?
>
>
> Weihana.
>
>


Yeap, and if they don't do what is in the best interest of the
shareholder(eg. to make the best return possible for the investment) they
will be breaching their constitution.


 
Reply With Quote
 
NilEinne@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2006
E. Scrooge (*sling) wrote:
> According to TV3 News.
>
> Guess what the complaints are now?
> ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want something
> done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of NZ.
>
> By being super competitive with a realistic plan Xtra has seen the light at
> long last, and should do very well out of it by getting an even bigger share
> of the market out of it.
>
> If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
> benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
> matter.


No but as a company operating in NZ, they are required to operate under
our laws. Our laws forbid monopolies from abusing their positions.
Telecom has been required to allow ISPs access to their network under
certain wholesale terms, in accordance to our laws. If they fail to do
so, they are breaking the law.

BTW, AFAIK the biggest issue ISPs have is not with with 'unlimited'
(which isn't really unlimited) plan but with the lower end plans.
Telecom have tried to use the CC in defense of their prices. However
the wholesale prices were set by the CC according to Telecom's retail
prices at the time. If Telecom's retail prices have changed, then so do
the wholesale prices. Idiots on this newsgroup may fail to recognise
that but I don't think Telecom will be able to fool the CC this time.

In any case, this issue was first raised in the media on Friday if not
before

 
Reply With Quote
 
NilEinne@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2006
Sue Bilstein wrote:
> Yeah, reeducation camp for you, Scrooge. You have to understand that
> when xtra broadband is too expensive, that means Telecom should be
> nationalised, and when xtra broadband is too cheap, that means Telecom
> should be nationalised.


Personally I believe Telecom should be re-nationalised but this is very
unlikely to happen.

In any case, if you understood the issue at all, you would have
realised the issue is that Telecom is abusing their position as a
monopoly. Originally, they kept prices high because no one could
compete anyway.

Slowly as they were forced to allow others to compete they began to
reduce their prices. Now that the **** has hit the fan, and they're
going to have to really allow ISPs to compete, they've decided just to
go all out and try and destroy their competitors with low pricing. But
make no mistake, the only reason we got where we are today is because
of regulation. If it were not for regulation, we would probably still
be paying $100 or so for 10gb or 256/128k or something of that sort.

However I guess such matters are too difficult for you to understand...

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unlimited calling to 21 countries including the United States:Unlimited World Plan: $19.95 mo priyank shah UK VOIP 0 03-13-2007 08:58 AM
Unlimited Calls Packags: Update(d)! - There or nearly there!? - 2/3 per month unlimited price range News Reader UK VOIP 13 03-03-2007 05:02 PM
Business Numbers For Your New Business Only $7.95 Unlimited Voip Expert VOIP 0 12-21-2006 12:47 AM
Partial display of xml data and unlimited drill down tedqn@yahoo.com XML 0 08-29-2006 05:54 PM



Advertisments