Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Adding wireless to aDSL router

Adding wireless to aDSL router

Sam

This may be similar to many other topics out there, but a few details
are different.

I am trying to set up wireless access using an existing internet
connection via an aDSL router. The aDSL router is configured correctly
to provide access to a single computer and uses a static IP. The
problem is, I do not know the password to check or change the settings
on the router (it is not mine).

I figure I should be able to set up a wireless connection by simply
connecting the wireless router to the aDSL modem/router. I've played
around with the settings of the wireless router but have not been able
to access the internet through it.

If the aDSL modem/router is configured with a fixed IP, then how should
I configure the wireless router?

The ISP has given me two IPs:
An IP for WAN, and an IP for the LAN.

I assume these are already configured in the modem and I shouldn't have
to hard code the IPs in the wireless router. Is this correct? When
the single computer is connected to the aDSL modem, it's TCP/IP
settings are configured to obtain an IP automatically. This is why I
figure I shouldn't have to configure the wireless router with the IPs
from the ISP.

Thanks for the help.

Sam

steve

Sam wrote:

> I am trying to set up wireless access using an existing internet
> connection via an aDSL router. The aDSL router is configured correctly
> to provide access to a single computer and uses a static IP. The
> problem is, I do not know the password to check or change the settings
> on the router (it is not mine).

If it isn't yours, do you have permission to access it?

If not....end of story.

If no one knows the settings then you should be able to reset to factory
defaults and reconfig using default user / password.

Alan

Hi Sam,

See inline:

"Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> This may be similar to many other topics out there, but a few
> details
> are different.
>
> I am trying to set up wireless access using an existing internet
> connection via an aDSL router. The aDSL router is configured
> correctly
> to provide access to a single computer and uses a static IP. The
> problem is, I do not know the password to check or change the
> settings
> on the router (it is not mine).

If you don't know the password, you can always reset to factory
settings and change it to something you do know. Read the manual.

> I figure I should be able to set up a wireless connection by simply
> connecting the wireless router to the aDSL modem/router. I've
> played
> around with the settings of the wireless router but have not been
> able
> to access the internet through it.

Does the ADSL router have two (or more) LAN connections?

If not, you could plug into, say, a switch to handle that, and then
plug the Wireless router into the switch I guess.

It is also possible to setup a machine with two NICs and have it
function as a firewall and / or proxy behind which your wireless
router (and its clients) sit. Unusual in a home environment, but
possible.

> If the aDSL modem/router is configured with a fixed IP, then how
> should I configure the wireless router?

Should be irrelavent to the wireless router - it is in your LAN and
nothing to do with your external IP or ISP for that matter.

> The ISP has given me two IPs:
> An IP for WAN, and an IP for the LAN.

You can setup your internal LAN any way you want - it is not your ISP
that decides this.

Also, you may just be using easy language, but your LAN won't have an
IP (but it will have a subnet mask). Maybe you mean the LAN side of
the router has an IP (which it will)?

For example, if your LAN is a ten-dot network, then you might have the
following:

Machine1 = 10.0.0.1
Router = 10.0.0.254 (Default Gateway)
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

If you add another machine to that mix, it might be 10.0.0.2 (say).
You'd have to check the wireless router manual to see exactly how to
set it up to work with your network configuration, but it probably
needs to know the IP of the default gateway (10.0.0.254 in the above
example).

> I assume these are already configured in the modem and I shouldn't
> have to hard code the IPs in the wireless router. Is this correct?

ADSL modem? Could be, but you'd have to check - back to resetting the
password I guess.

> When
> the single computer is connected to the aDSL modem, it's TCP/IP
> settings are configured to obtain an IP automatically.

Do you mean that your ADSL modem provides the IPs on your network
using DHCP?

That would be relatively unusual in a home setting, but not
impossible. You'd have to check the ADSL modem's settings to see
that - back to the top again!

> This is why I
> figure I shouldn't have to configure the wireless router with the
> IPs
> from the ISP.

Correct I think. The wireless router and the machines on your LAN
shouldn't care what your external IP is - the ADSL router should be
taking care of the NAT side of things.

> Thanks for the help.
>
> Sam

Hope that helps! E&OE!!

If you are really stuck with this stuff, it would probably not cost a
lot to get a professional to set it up for you - I would guess less
than $100 but you'd have to get quotes as I haven't ever tried that.

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Gordon

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:34:56 +1200, Alan wrote:

>> I figure I should be able to set up a wireless connection by simply
>> connecting the wireless router to the aDSL modem/router. I've
>> played
>> around with the settings of the wireless router but have not been
>> able
>> to access the internet through it.
>>

> Does the ADSL router have two (or more) LAN connections?
>
> If not, you could plug into, say, a switch to handle that, and then
> plug the Wireless router into the switch I guess.

Is it a router or just an ADSL modem? It is setup for just one PC.

Alan

news(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is it a router or just an ADSL modem?

Can't be certain. You should ask the OP.

>It is setup for just one PC.

If you say so.

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

jasen

On 2006-09-25, Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This may be similar to many other topics out there, but a few details
> are different.
>
> I am trying to set up wireless access using an existing internet
> connection via an aDSL router. The aDSL router is configured correctly
> to provide access to a single computer and uses a static IP. The
> problem is, I do not know the password to check or change the settings
> on the router (it is not mine).

DYM a static lan address?

> I figure I should be able to set up a wireless connection by simply
> connecting the wireless router to the aDSL modem/router. I've played
> around with the settings of the wireless router but have not been able
> to access the internet through it.

I guess you've got to set the default gateway on the router to point io the
ADSL router. (are you sure it's a runnibng as a router)

> If the aDSL modem/router is configured with a fixed IP, then how should
> I configure the wireless router?

unless the ADSL router is providing DHCP using a different, fixed, IP address
is probably the easiest.

> The ISP has given me two IPs:
> An IP for WAN, and an IP for the LAN.

they may be significant.

> I assume these are already configured in the modem and I shouldn't have
> to hard code the IPs in the wireless router. Is this correct?
> When the single computer is connected to the aDSL modem, it's TCP/IP
> settings are configured to obtain an IP automatically.

this means the modem is doing DHCP, and probably running as a router
(but if you see PPPOE running on the PC it's not)

> This is why I
> figure I shouldn't have to configure the wireless router with the IPs
> from the ISP.

yeah, setting it to*use DHCP should be enough.

Bye.
Jasen

adsl router to adsl router czar Cisco 2 05-01-2007 05:42 AM
Sweex ADSL Annex-A wired ADSL Router Switch Alex Clarke Computer Support 2 10-15-2005 11:34 PM
ADSL router as ATA without ADSL bit? Adam Aglionby UK VOIP 2 08-24-2005 12:07 AM
Connecting an ADSL Router to a Wireless Router 1470 Computer Support 3 12-04-2003 06:29 PM

Advertisments