Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Telecom ADSL Plans

New Telecom ADSL Plans

whome

Anyone have a link to the new plans?

The following link seems to have forgotten to publish the most important
information..

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2571F1000C8C5E

whome

"whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone have a link to the new plans?
>
> The following link seems to have forgotten to publish the most important
> information..
>
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2571F1000C8C5E

ah, they fixed up the article now.

very minor improvements to todays plans.

Fred Dagg

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:19:12 +1200, "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>"whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone have a link to the new plans?
>>
>> The following link seems to have forgotten to publish the most important
>> information..
>>
>> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2571F1000C8C5E
>>

>ah, they fixed up the article now.
>
>very minor improvements to todays plans.

"Very minor" improvements?!?

2-3x the speed is "very minor"??!

whome

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:19:12 +1200, "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>

>>"whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Anyone have a link to the new plans?
>>>
>>> The following link seems to have forgotten to publish the most important
>>> information..
>>>
>>> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2571F1000C8C5E
>>>

>>ah, they fixed up the article now.
>>
>>very minor improvements to todays plans.
>>

> "Very minor" improvements?!?
>
> 2-3x the speed is "very minor"??!

Very few people will get full speed due to various reasons such as exchange
distance, contention ratios and so on.

There is still no plan with Full speed upload where the cap is throttled on
exceeding the threshold.

The 'managed' plan will be really slow cos all the file sharers will be
going for that one.

Detailed analysis of these plans shows in some ways the new plans are
actually worse.

Richard

Fred Dagg wrote:

> "Very minor" improvements?!?
>
> 2-3x the speed is "very minor"??!

Since 3.5 meg came out, I dont think anyone has had a complaint about
the official downstream speed.

The fact that loads of people are unable to get anywhere near that speed
for most of the day, and that the caps are so damn low is what is the
problem to a majority of internet users.

Add to that, that with the crapness of telecoms network there will be
loads of crosstalk on the higher frequancies that the higher rates need
to work, it will most likley have a minimal speed increse for loads of
people. Theres a hell of a lot more people on ADSL now compared with the
old jetstart/jetstream days which is the last time most people had the
physical layer speed unrestricted.

Lets all just watch the network turn to ****. Hell, at the moment its
impossible to watch a youtube video at peak times for a lot of people,
and thats supposed to be under 512k. I for a while thought that we were
capped in some way here, no, just crappy performance.

Gordon

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:26:26 +1200, Richard wrote:

> Fred Dagg wrote:
>
>> "Very minor" improvements?!?
>>
>> 2-3x the speed is "very minor"??!

> Since 3.5 meg came out, I dont think anyone has had a complaint about
> the official downstream speed.

Ping your newgroup reading and memory. All ack lost.

> The fact that loads of people are unable to get anywhere near that speed
> for most of the day, and that the caps are so damn low is what is the
> problem to a majority of internet users.

Speed is one thing caps another. Both being high is good.

ADSL right from the outset was a factor of how good the physical
connection was. It was "invented" to compete with cable TV.

TyphoonTycoon

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:19:23 +1200, whome wrote:

> Very few people will get full speed due to various reasons such as exchange
> distance, contention ratios and so on.
>
> There is still no plan with Full speed upload where the cap is throttled on
> exceeding the threshold.
>
> The 'managed' plan will be really slow cos all the file sharers will be
> going for that one.
>
> Detailed analysis of these plans shows in some ways the new plans are
> actually worse.

Ever since the 3.5Mbit plans come out, the overall quality of my
connection started to decline and has since continued to become slower and
slower. Sometimes my International access speeds drop to as low as the sub
100kb/s in the evenings and browsing also becomes somewhat inconsistent.

In the 2Mbit days, I use to get Fullspeed 2Mbit National access speed most
of the time, as well as 1.25 Mbit and higher International access speeds
most times.
Now I struggle to see National Access speed raise above 2Mbit
and International Access only seldoms goes above 1Mbit, outside of peak it
hovers around 700-1Mbit whilst in the evening it's mostly averaging around
150-350.

Also, where are our data cap increases? I noticed that our household
usage has gone from 1.5GB 2003 3GB 2004 6GB 2005 and now 12GB, and 80% of
the traffic is Surfing and browsing alone. As strange as it may seem, I
ended up blowing about 1GB searching for Real Estage Investment related
Material this weekend. Guess extensively investigating neighbourhoods
using Google Maps isn't a particularly good idea, nor regularly
accesing photo intensive Real Estate sites and I guess the increasing use
of Macromedia flash on sites doesn't help either

In short these FS plans mean absolute squat to me. My rhetorical question
is obviously... Where is the improvement?

whome

"TyphoonTycoon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:19:23 +1200, whome wrote:
>
>> Very few people will get full speed due to various reasons such as
>> exchange
>> distance, contention ratios and so on.
>>
>> There is still no plan with Full speed upload where the cap is throttled
>> on
>> exceeding the threshold.
>>
>> The 'managed' plan will be really slow cos all the file sharers will be
>> going for that one.
>>
>> Detailed analysis of these plans shows in some ways the new plans are
>> actually worse.

> Ever since the 3.5Mbit plans come out, the overall quality of my
> connection started to decline and has since continued to become slower and
> slower. Sometimes my International access speeds drop to as low as the sub
> 100kb/s in the evenings and browsing also becomes somewhat inconsistent.
>
> In the 2Mbit days, I use to get Fullspeed 2Mbit National access speed most
> of the time, as well as 1.25 Mbit and higher International access speeds
> most times.
> Now I struggle to see National Access speed raise above 2Mbit
> and International Access only seldoms goes above 1Mbit, outside of peak it
> hovers around 700-1Mbit whilst in the evening it's mostly averaging around
> 150-350.
>
> Also, where are our data cap increases? I noticed that our household
> usage has gone from 1.5GB 2003 3GB 2004 6GB 2005 and now 12GB, and 80% of
> the traffic is Surfing and browsing alone. As strange as it may seem, I
> ended up blowing about 1GB searching for Real Estage Investment related
> Material this weekend. Guess extensively investigating neighbourhoods
> using Google Maps isn't a particularly good idea, nor regularly
> accesing photo intensive Real Estate sites and I guess the increasing use
> of Macromedia flash on sites doesn't help either
>
> In short these FS plans mean absolute squat to me. My rhetorical question
> is obviously... Where is the improvement?

Agreed, the caps are not really getting much larger for the price. I'd
rather they increase caps than speed for precisely the reasons you outline.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <45174db1$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> Lets all just watch the network turn to ****.

"Imminent death of the net predicted."

whome

news:ef81bn$rej$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <45174db1$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:
>
>> Lets all just watch the network turn to ****.

> "Imminent death of the net predicted."

The more I look at this, the more I hate the new plans.

I am on 10gig capped plan right now where speed is throttled. I want to
stay on this plan, since it will not be 'managed' and I have the 10gig cap
and don't have to worry if I exceed the cap.

But, the closest of the new plans where my speed is guaranteed is the pro
advanced plan but that is 20 bucks more than I pay today.

Dirty scumbag money grubbing telecom turds.