Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft's Masterpiece of FUD

Microsoft's Masterpiece of FUD

MaHogany

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 21:36:49 +1300, Earl Grey wrote:

> You admit there is a probability of error therefore you will have to
> assume that there are errors so that you can check for them.
>
> Therefore you have NOT produced guaranteed bug free code.

I didn't say you can "guarantee" bug free code.

What I say is that if you use a quality assurance (rather than a quality
control) process then you will have a much better chance of producing
bug-free code, under budget and on time.

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, MaHogany <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 23:07:56 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>>>Why make something that is broken simply so you can fix it?
>>>
>>>Why not make something that is not broken in the first place?

>> because you can't guarantee to do so.

>You can't guarantee anything - not even that you'll continue to breathe!
>
>That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to attain excellence first time around.
>
>"Do it right, do it once."

You appear to be getting the point and then ignoring it. <shrug>

MaHogany

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 23:35:01 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>>You can't guarantee anything - not even that you'll continue to breathe!
>>
>>That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to attain excellence first time around.
>>
>>"Do it right, do it once."

> You appear to be getting the point and then ignoring it. <shrug>

Why should software be released when it has bugs?

Why should a development process be used when it is known to result in
cost and time overruns and in more bugs than otherwise?

Why should developer ignore even the most basic of memory management
techniques?

As I said - do it right. Do it once.

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

Earl Grey

MaHogany wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 23:35:01 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>>> You can't guarantee anything - not even that you'll continue to breathe!
>>>
>>> That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to attain excellence first time around.
>>>
>>> "Do it right, do it once."

>> You appear to be getting the point and then ignoring it. <shrug>

> Why should software be released when it has bugs?

How do you ever know that it doesn't have any ?

MaHogany

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 18:23:33 +1300, Earl Grey wrote:

>> Why should software be released when it has bugs?
>>

> How do you ever know that it doesn't have any ?

You can't prove a negative assertion; but you can actively put in place
processes that minimise the likelihood of bugs occurring in the first
place, and you can maximise the likelihood of you finding, at each stage
of the development process, those bugs that may inadvertantly occur.

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, MaHogany <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 18:23:33 +1300, Earl Grey wrote:
>
>>> Why should software be released when it has bugs?
>>>

>> How do you ever know that it doesn't have any ?

>You can't prove a negative assertion; but you can actively put in place
>processes that minimise the likelihood of bugs occurring in the first
>place, and you can maximise the likelihood of you finding, at each stage
>of the development process, those bugs that may inadvertantly occur.

Sure ... but until you can prove that you have removed that last error and
get your probability of zero errors to exactly 1, you are still saying the
same thing ... it can't be done.

That's reality..

MaHogany

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 23:18:24 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> Sure ... but until you can prove that you have removed that last error and
> get your probability of zero errors to exactly 1, you are still saying the
> same thing ... it can't be done.

Incorrect.

Stating that you cannot prove a negative is not the same as stating that
you can actively work towards having no bugs present at the conclusion of
each and every stage of the design process.

Lets face it - even one bug at the business analysis stage will have a
massive impact on the development of the software.

The actual coding is the last stage - and the least important.

Ma Hogany