Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > RFI HD/Blue Ray DVD's

Reply
Thread Tools

RFI HD/Blue Ray DVD's

 
 
Jack Hammond
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2006



How bad can the world get, only when the US tries to run it..


A new region code tracking chip to fight piracy?

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13962

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-fights-piracy


Take the fact that its been reported that the take up of HD DVD's and players are very low, due
to the Very high prices and 2 Standards, this will only make the price go higher..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/...e/high_def_dvd
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Philip
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2006
Jack Hammond wrote:
>
>
> How bad can the world get, only when the US tries to run it..
>
>
> A new region code tracking chip to fight piracy?
>
> http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13962
>
> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-fights-piracy
>
>
> Take the fact that its been reported that the take up of HD DVD's and players are very low, due
> to the Very high prices and 2 Standards, this will only make the price go higher..
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/...e/high_def_dvd

Region codes are a scam to allow content companies to hike their prices.
They claim it's about piracy, it's not, and never has been. It's about
control. Thouse the MPAA oikes to include playing a disk outside the
region code area as "oiracy", even when you bougzt it with your money
and are watching it in your home on your player.

There's quite strong evidence that region codes are against the TRIPS
agreement that governs copyright in WIPO member nations.

Fortunately, here in New Zealand region codes are routinely ignored, and
most DVD players sold are programnmed to ignore them. Our copyright law
doesn't enforce region codes, and neither does the law in Australia.

For those with a player that isn't already region code free, I recommend
a visit to www.slysoft.com, www.dvdidle.com or www.videohelp.com.

It's ludicrous that you should have to go to these lengths, and possibly
spend good money, to watch something you've legitimately bought. When
will the content companies realise that their region codes, compulsory
threats and unskippable trailers are a huge incentive to people to copy
their products so they don't have to put up with all the bullshit?

Philip
http://puriri.blogspot.com/






..

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Earl Grey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2006
Philip wrote:
> Jack Hammond wrote:
>>
>>
>> How bad can the world get, only when the US tries to run it..
>>
>>
>> A new region code tracking chip to fight piracy?
>>
>> http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13962
>>
>> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-fights-piracy
>>
>>
>> Take the fact that its been reported that the take up of HD DVD's
>> and players are very low, due
>> to the Very high prices and 2 Standards, this will only make the
>> price go higher..
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/...e/high_def_dvd

> Region codes are a scam to allow content companies to hike their prices.
> They claim it's about piracy, it's not, and never has been. It's about
> control. Thouse the MPAA oikes to include playing a disk outside the
> region code area as "oiracy", even when you bougzt it with your money
> and are watching it in your home on your player.
>
> There's quite strong evidence that region codes are against the TRIPS
> agreement that governs copyright in WIPO member nations.
>
> Fortunately, here in New Zealand region codes are routinely ignored, and
> most DVD players sold are programnmed to ignore them. Our copyright law
> doesn't enforce region codes, and neither does the law in Australia.
>
> For those with a player that isn't already region code free, I recommend
> a visit to www.slysoft.com, www.dvdidle.com or www.videohelp.com.
>
> It's ludicrous that you should have to go to these lengths, and possibly
> spend good money, to watch something you've legitimately bought. When
> will the content companies realise that their region codes, compulsory
> threats and unskippable trailers are a huge incentive to people to copy
> their products so they don't have to put up with all the bullshit?
>
> Philip
> http://puriri.blogspot.com/
>


Here's another nice piece of RIANZ puke making bullshite
If you go to pay a ppnz levy for playing music on your commercial
premises via the online form
http://www.rianz.org.nz/rianz/ppnz_f...celicenses.asp
you are invited to fill in the details via a series of dropdown boxes
which include own cd/dvd, own ipod/hd, own jukebox, 3rd party jukebox,
3rd party ipod/hd.
If you go to the FAQ you will find the following
<quote>
Can I use my iPod or computer in a commercial environment?

Transferring digital copies of sound recordings onto a hard drive or
portable device such as an iPod for use in a commercial environment is
illegal. Only original sound recordings (e.g. CDs), radio/TV or digital
music players sourced from licensed CSPs (see Compilation Service
Provider link at left) can be used.
</quote>

Its not an option on the online form, its entrapment, a pondscum lowlife
gotcha !

They are wankers, and to cooperate with them in any way only serves to
encourage this sort of disrespect for their customers.
Copyright royalties are used to fund these jerks, not to pay the artists

</rant>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mad.Mutt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2006
Philip wrote:

>
> Region codes are a scam to allow content companies to hike their prices.
> They claim it's about piracy, it's not, and never has been. It's about
> control.


That is totally and utterly CORRECT!

It's about extracting as many dollars as each econmic region will allow,
and about preventing the free trade of legitimate discs from poorer
economies to wealthier ones.

They could sell discs globally for a dollar or two, and in so doing
eliminate any advantage or desire to pirate content, but no, they jack
up their prices to the maximum the market will tolerate, and then they
bitch about piracy and attempt to limit our other freedoms to stop piracy.

There was talk some time back of embedding content protection firmware
on hard disc drives, so that every damned file trasfer you make gets
inspected and either approved or denied according to some code the
mega-corporates have embedded into your system.

Incredible as it seems, blank CDs already have a built in surcharge of
about NZ$0.10 which goes straight to the record companies simply on the
assumption that all people (pirates or not) must pay to compensate them
for the piracy that goes on.

Should book publishers get a cut on all blank paper sold?
Should printers and copiers / inks and toners all be jacked up to
support copyright of others?

Should cameras and photographic films be taxed because they can
duplicate other works?

My pen can violate copyright too - add a few more dollars to the cost of
a box of pens or pencils!

The RIAA, and it's associated groups are all just a bunch of thieves who
are massaging the laws to suit their own endless demands, and their
greed knows no end.
 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2006
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 15:35:46 +1200, "Mad.Mutt"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Philip wrote:
>
>>
>> Region codes are a scam to allow content companies to hike their prices.
>> They claim it's about piracy, it's not, and never has been. It's about
>> control.

>
>That is totally and utterly CORRECT!
>
>It's about extracting as many dollars as each econmic region will allow,
>and about preventing the free trade of legitimate discs from poorer
>economies to wealthier ones.
>
>They could sell discs globally for a dollar or two, and in so doing
>eliminate any advantage or desire to pirate content, but no, they jack
>up their prices to the maximum the market will tolerate, and then they
>bitch about piracy and attempt to limit our other freedoms to stop piracy.


Spot on. In China, Warner Brothers dropped the price of their DVDs to
$1.50 each to combat piracy. http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13335 . It
has long been my contention that they should do that worldwide. They
don't need to drop it that far, even cutting prices to a third of
present prices would be a huge step in the right direction. Off
course they would have to ramp up production at least fourfold and
would sell heaps more, won't have to spend a fortune on encryption and
other anti-piracy measures, and still make lots of money, but they
don't seem able to understand that.

They should also stop the questionable tactics of releasing some
titles for limited seasons only, such as the new version of Blade
Runner, which was to go on sale for four months only. I lost the link
to that story, but some studios release only limited numbers of some
titles, especially older titles, which can be very hard to get though
the market is there if they would make them available in sufficient
quantities.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-17-2006
"Mad.Mutt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eefrgn$dr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> They could sell discs globally for a dollar or two, and in so doing
> eliminate any advantage or desire to pirate content, but no, they jack
> up their prices to the maximum the market will tolerate, and then they
> bitch about piracy and attempt to limit our other freedoms to stop piracy.
>
> Incredible as it seems, blank CDs already have a built in surcharge of
> about NZ$0.10 which goes straight to the record companies simply on the
> assumption that all people (pirates or not) must pay to compensate them
> for the piracy that goes on.
>

A bit of history: at one time there was a proposal to put a surcharge on all
blank cassette tapes, on the knowledge that most would be used for breaching
copyright. Until one manufacturer announced his plans to prerecord all his
tapes during manufacturing with a tune already out of copyright.

Another bit: the DVD players on the ISS were originally compliant with the
regional coding. But with astro-/cosmo-/taikonauts from all over the place
they bough a bypass kit from Tottenham Court Rd and fitted it.

Michael


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M$ against Blu-ray, M$ for Blu-ray, M$ against Blu-ray, M$ forBlu-ray, ...... Blig Merk DVD Video 66 04-27-2008 04:46 AM
RFI HD/Blue Ray DVD's Jack Hammond NZ Computing 0 09-15-2006 11:41 PM
Resolved EMI RFI interference from PC stew Computer Support 0 09-28-2005 05:35 AM
Filter RFI EMI noise from PC? Stew Computer Support 12 09-27-2005 07:57 AM
RFI Prob on LAN Gary Danaher Computer Support 12 07-31-2003 09:33 PM



Advertisments