Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Really basic video cards?

Really basic video cards?

AD.

Does anyone still sell basic low power video cards?

I speccing out a few 3U rack mount servers and a couple of mobo options
I'm investigating don't have either onboard video or serial access to
the bios.

I've got basic old AGP cards lying around, but these mobos only have
PCI or PCI-E slots.

It just seems like a waste to have 128MB video cards with TV out and
all this 3D stuff on them to run a text only terminal interface.

A PCI-E VGA only card with a few megs of RAM would be ideal, but I
suspect that doesn't exist right?

--
Cheers
Anton

Jack Hammond

On 14 Sep 2006 23:26:53 -0700, "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone still sell basic low power video cards?
>
>I speccing out a few 3U rack mount servers and a couple of mobo options
>I'm investigating don't have either onboard video or serial access to
>the bios.
>
>I've got basic old AGP cards lying around, but these mobos only have
>PCI or PCI-E slots.
>
>It just seems like a waste to have 128MB video cards with TV out and
>all this 3D stuff on them to run a text only terminal interface.
>
>A PCI-E VGA only card with a few megs of RAM would be ideal, but I
>suspect that doesn't exist right?

Correct, you should have got MoBo's with on board Video, there are plenty around..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>, AD.
wrote:

> It just seems like a waste to have 128MB video cards with TV out and
> all this 3D stuff on them to run a text only terminal interface.

But then, if you can get one cheap, what does it matter.

~misfit~

Jack Hammond wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2006 23:26:53 -0700, "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone still sell basic low power video cards?
> >
> > I speccing out a few 3U rack mount servers and a couple of mobo
> > options I'm investigating don't have either onboard video or serial
> > access to the bios.
> >
> > I've got basic old AGP cards lying around, but these mobos only have
> > PCI or PCI-E slots.
> >
> > It just seems like a waste to have 128MB video cards with TV out and
> > all this 3D stuff on them to run a text only terminal interface.
> >
> > A PCI-E VGA only card with a few megs of RAM would be ideal, but I
> > suspect that doesn't exist right?

> Correct, you should have got MoBo's with on board Video, there are
> plenty around..

Or grab a few circa 1995 PCI graphics cards....
--
Shaun.

AD.

Jack Hammond wrote:
> Correct, you should have got MoBo's with on board Video, there are plenty around..

I'm working up both cheap and expensive options for a large storage
server that doesn't need much CPU grunt.

For the cheap options I need 8 SATA II ports onboard and dual Gb/s
ethernet ports. Finding a board with those and onboard video is much
trickier - they tend to be geared up for high end video.

For the expensive options I need a least one PCI-X slot at 133MHz for a
SATA RAID controller and either onboard SCSI or a second fast PCI slot
for SCSI. The expensive options are fine, dual Xeon or Opteron server
mobos usually fit the bill.

--
Cheers
Anton

AD.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>, AD.
> wrote:
>
> > It just seems like a waste to have 128MB video cards with TV out and
> > all this 3D stuff on them to run a text only terminal interface.

> But then, if you can get one cheap, what does it matter.

Well, that is my obvious fallback position. I was just wondering if I
had any alternative.

I assume all that extra functionality doesn't draw any extra power
unless it is used?

--
Cheers
Anton

wrote:

> I assume all that extra functionality doesn't draw any extra power
> unless it is used?

Good question. I think that would depend on whether the card was designed to
save power or not. I believe Nvidia's GeForce models with "Go" in the name
are designed with power-saving features, just as an example, not sure about
others.

AD.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>, AD.
> wrote:
>
> > I assume all that extra functionality doesn't draw any extra power
> > unless it is used?

> Good question. I think that would depend on whether the card was designed to
> save power or not. I believe Nvidia's GeForce models with "Go" in the name
> are designed with power-saving features, just as an example, not sure about
> others.

I found some figures here:

9W at idle isn't too bad. I could live with that

The practically universal DVI these days might be annoying though,
server KVMs are usually VGA and I suspect a DVI-VGA adapter might get
in the way a little in a rack.

--
Cheers
Anton