Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google Earth for Linux: Cool!

Google Earth for Linux: Cool!

steve

Had the time tonight to download Google Earth for Linux....and myself
and the kids had some fun flying around the world checking out the homes
of friends and relations.

Works well on a 256MB system with: Xandros 4.0 Linux, Athlon 2200+ CPU
and aging nVidia GF4-MX440 video adapter.

Peter

steve wrote:
> Had the time tonight to download Google Earth for Linux....and myself
> and the kids had some fun flying around the world checking out the homes
> of friends and relations.
>
> Works well on a 256MB system with: Xandros 4.0 Linux, Athlon 2200+ CPU
> and aging nVidia GF4-MX440 video adapter.

Where is this available from?
I had a look a few weeks back, and found only Windos and Mac versions.
http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

TIA

Peter

Mackin_NZ

Peter wrote:

> steve wrote:
>> Had the time tonight to download Google Earth for Linux....and myself
>> and the kids had some fun flying around the world checking out the homes
>> of friends and relations.
>>
>> Works well on a 256MB system with: Xandros 4.0 Linux, Athlon 2200+ CPU
>> and aging nVidia GF4-MX440 video adapter.

> Where is this available from?
> I had a look a few weeks back, and found only Windos and Mac versions.
> http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html
>
> TIA
>
> Peter

It's right there on the very page you linked to. Beta version 4 for Linux,
Windows 2000/XP or Mac OS X

Flintstone

Peter wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> Had the time tonight to download Google Earth for Linux....and myself
>> and the kids had some fun flying around the world checking out the homes
>> of friends and relations.
>>
>> Works well on a 256MB system with: Xandros 4.0 Linux, Athlon 2200+ CPU
>> and aging nVidia GF4-MX440 video adapter.

> Where is this available from?
> I had a look a few weeks back, and found only Windos and Mac versions.
> http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html
>
> TIA
>
> Peter

Same address as you, but its only a beta at this stage.

Allistar

steve wrote:

> Had the time tonight to download Google Earth for Linux....and myself
> and the kids had some fun flying around the world checking out the homes
> of friends and relations.
>
> Works well on a 256MB system with: Xandros 4.0 Linux, Athlon 2200+ CPU
> and aging nVidia GF4-MX440 video adapter.

I've had it installed for a couple of months now (Gentoo Linux). It's an
amazing piece of software, and a great way to gobble up free time.

Allistar.

miguellint@yahoo.com

steve wrote:

> Had the time tonight to download Google Earth for Linux....and myself
> and the kids had some fun flying around the world checking out the homes
> of friends and relations.
>
> Works well on a 256MB system with: Xandros 4.0 Linux, Athlon 2200+ CPU
> and aging nVidia GF4-MX440 video adapter.

Speaking of google earth.........

Is anyone able to get a decent view of Hamilton. My sister lives there
and I was trying to get a decent screenshot for her but it was nothing
but a blur.

Regards
Miguel

PS Just thought I'd say that Ubuntu is the Clayton's
Linux.....absolutely superb piece of kit

Mackin_NZ

> Speaking of google earth.........
>
> Is anyone able to get a decent view of Hamilton. My sister lives there
> and I was trying to get a decent screenshot for her but it was nothing
> but a blur.

It's not out of focus, that's what Hamilton looks like in real life.

Mackin

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <4508dfe8$0$19609$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mackin_NZ wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Speaking of google earth.........
>>
>> Is anyone able to get a decent view of Hamilton. My sister lives there
>> and I was trying to get a decent screenshot for her but it was nothing
>> but a blur.

> It's not out of focus, that's what Hamilton looks like in real life.

I'll overlook your lack of a smiley, because "Lonely Planet" describes us as
the "Capital of Nice".

Though we got transplanted to southern France, I have no idea ...

Peter

Mackin_NZ wrote:
> It's right there on the very page you linked to. Beta version 4 for
> Linux, Windows 2000/XP or Mac OS X

thanks - I hadn't read that far - just looked at the stable version
(oops)