Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Comments on Vista RC1....

Comments on Vista RC1....

thingy

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...868642,00.html

regards

Thing

Nathan Mercer

thingy wrote:
> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...868642,00.html
>
> regards
>
> Thing

And some other comments: after a week on the street, RC1 is garnering
its fair share of positive reviews and early looks

Testers: Vista RC1 Appears Stable
Microsoft seems to be on track to release the next version of Windows
on schedule.
By Elizabeth Montalbano
September 6, 2006
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...n/article.html

Early feedback from testers already using Windows Vista
Release Candidate 1 report that the OS is more stable than expected,
which bodes well for Microsoft's plan to have Vista out according to
its current schedule.
Another Vista tester, Andrew Brust, chief of new technology
for New York consulting firm Twentysix New York, said the latest test
release of Vista feels more "grown up," even on hardware that is not
necessarily optimized for the OS.
"Besides the fact that it's just a really nice OS, it feels
very sprightly even on hardware that wasn't designed for it," he said.

Microsoft says Vista prices same as XP
By Staff
September 5, 2006
http://www.boston.com/business/techn...es_same_as_xp/

Vista, the company's first new operating system in five
years, touts a sleeker look, improved security features, better
protection against spyware and viruses and more intuitive search tools
to help users find saved files.
"We're in the last mile for Windows Vista, and the release
candidate marks a great amount of progress and a great step toward
final release," said Shanen Boettcher, general manager of product
management for the division that includes Windows.

Microsoft releases Windows Vista RC1 to millions of testers
By Preston Gralla and Scot Finnie
September 1, 2006
http://computerworld.com/action/arti...&intsrc=kc_top

The RC1 version of Vista offers a long list of operational
and performance improvements over the Beta 2 version, including faster
performance, improved driver support, an easier-to-use networking
interface and a variety of changes to the "fit and finish" of the
operating system, said testers.

Review: Windows Vista RC 1 Is Almost Ready For Prime Time
By Preston Gralla
September 6, 2006
http://www.techweb.com/article/showA...1300005&pgno=1

The long wait for a usable version of Windows Vista is
finally over -- the newly released Release Candidate 1 (RC1) version of
Windows Vista is faster, fitter, and sports a leaner, far easier-to-use
interface. Up until now, I've been a skeptic, not convinced that
Microsoft would be able to meet its planned date of January 2007 for
consumer availability. But this most recent release has turned me into
a believer.

Vista RC1: First looks, screengrabs
By Mike Barton
September 01, 2006
http://weblog.infoworld.com/tcdaily/...rc1_first.html

Everything feels a LOT more finished and look and feel is
near final

Inside Microsoft Windows Vista Release Candidate 1
By John Clyman
September 2, 2006

Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.

thingy

Nathan Mercer wrote:
> [...]

> Windows Vista is faster, fitter, and sports a leaner, far easier-to-use
> interface. Up until now, I've been a skeptic, not convinced that
> Microsoft would be able to meet its planned date of January 2007 for
> consumer availability. But this most recent release has turned me into
> a believer.
>
> Vista RC1: First looks, screengrabs
> By Mike Barton
> September 01, 2006
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/tcdaily/...rc1_first.html
>
> Everything feels a LOT more finished and look and feel is
> near final
>
> Inside Microsoft Windows Vista Release Candidate 1
> By John Clyman
> September 2, 2006
>
> Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
> last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.

The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
for RC1....at best Beta....

regards

Thing

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:16:17 +1200, thingy
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>> Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
>> last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
>>

>The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
>for RC1....at best Beta....

There's always going to be people putting out opinion pieces on both
sides of the argument, but those comments are definately in the
minority. I would take a look at the agenda anyone making those sorts
of comments has.

Having played with it myself now, I can confirm that it is VERY nice.
Definately smooth and stable, with the only issue being drivers for a
couple of minor things, which I sorted out after a few minutes anyway.

From my own experience, it is definately of RC quality.

Brett Roberts

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:16:17 +1200, thingy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>>> Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
>>> last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
>>>

>>The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
>>for RC1....at best Beta....

> There's always going to be people putting out opinion pieces on both
> sides of the argument, but those comments are definately in the
> minority. I would take a look at the agenda anyone making those sorts
> of comments has.
>
> Having played with it myself now, I can confirm that it is VERY nice.
> Definately smooth and stable, with the only issue being drivers for a
> couple of minor things, which I sorted out after a few minutes anyway.
>
> From my own experience, it is definately of RC quality.

I may be slightly biased but I have to agree with Fred on this one. Windows
Vista RC1 is a huge improvement on the 3 or 4 betas I've trialled so far
especially with regard to performance and reliability. I'm running Vista
Ultimate on a Toshiba Tecra M4 and it's as fast as Windows XP Pro was on the
same machine and it's been rock solid since I installed it a week or so
back.

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:16:17 +1200, thingy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
> >> Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
> >> last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
> >>

> >The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
> >for RC1....at best Beta....

> There's always going to be people putting out opinion pieces on both
> sides of the argument, but those comments are definately in the
> minority. I would take a look at the agenda anyone making those sorts
> of comments has.
>
> Having played with it myself now, I can confirm that it is VERY nice.
> Definately smooth and stable, with the only issue being drivers for a
> couple of minor things, which I sorted out after a few minutes anyway.
>
> From my own experience, it is definately of RC quality.

I would agree. I like it a lot.

--
Duncan

Judges 13:18

thingy wrote:

>> Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
>> last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
>>

> The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
> for RC1....at best Beta....

A colleague from work has given it a go and thinks the same.
The installation is not very straightforward, according to him,
nor without need for quite a bit of expertise. Certain things
that used to be possible (motherboard servicing??) with XP,
are now not possible, and certain drivers had to be hunted
down. Plus, again according to that colleague, the user interface
is far from intuitive. And, the colleague is a lifelong
DOS/Windows user, and is not and never has been anywhere near Linux.
So, the comments are genuine concerned user's comments.

Earl Grey

Brett Roberts wrote:
> "Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:16:17 +1200, thingy
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>>> The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
>>> for RC1....at best Beta....

>> There's always going to be people putting out opinion pieces on both
>> sides of the argument, but those comments are definately in the
>> minority. I would take a look at the agenda anyone making those sorts
>> of comments has.
>>
>> Having played with it myself now, I can confirm that it is VERY nice.
>> Definately smooth and stable, with the only issue being drivers for a
>> couple of minor things, which I sorted out after a few minutes anyway.
>>
>> From my own experience, it is definately of RC quality.

> I may be slightly biased but I have to agree with Fred on this one.
> Windows Vista RC1 is a huge improvement on the 3 or 4 betas I've
> trialled so far especially with regard to performance and reliability.
> I'm running Vista Ultimate on a Toshiba Tecra M4 and it's as fast as
> Windows XP Pro was on the same machine and it's been rock solid since I
> installed it a week or so back.
>
> Brett Roberts
> Microsoft NZ

Me toooooooooooo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:48:31 +1200, "Judges 13:18"
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>thingy wrote:
>>>
>>> Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
>>> last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
>>>

>> The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
>> for RC1....at best Beta....
>>

>A colleague from work has given it a go and thinks the same.
>The installation is not very straightforward, according to him,
>nor without need for quite a bit of expertise. Certain things
>that used to be possible (motherboard servicing??) with XP,
>are now not possible, and certain drivers had to be hunted
>down. Plus, again according to that colleague, the user interface
>is far from intuitive. And, the colleague is a lifelong
>DOS/Windows user, and is not and never has been anywhere near Linux.
>So, the comments are genuine concerned user's comments.

When did he say all this, though?

It's quite possible he was using one of the Betas.

MaHogany

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:02:15 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> · Early feedback from testers already using Windows Vista
> Release Candidate 1 report that the OS is more stable than expected,

All that means is that they expected it to be a total dog, whereas it's
only somewhat a dog.

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."