Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft Open Specification Promise

Microsoft Open Specification Promise

Brett Roberts

Long time, no post. This announcement, made earlier today, may be of
interest to a number of people on this group. In a nutshell Microsoft is
making the protocols listed below freely available for use without requiring
license agreements etc. FWIW, Lawrence Rosen and Red Hat's Mark Webbink seem
to think it's a good thing.

http://www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx

WS-Addressing
WS-RM Policy
WS-AtomicTransaction
Remote Shell Web Services Protocol
WS-BusinessActivity
WS-SecureConversation
WS-Coordination
WS-Security: Kerberos Binding
WS-Discovery
WS-Security: SOAP Message Security
WSDL
WS-Security: UsernameToken Profile
WSDL 1.1 Binding Extension for SOAP 1.2
WS-Security: X.509 Certificate Token Profile
WS-Enumeration
WS-SecurityPolicy
WS-Eventing
SOAP
WS-Federation
SOAP 1.1 Binding for MTOM 1.0
WS-Federation Active Requestor Profile
SOAP MTOM / XOP
WS-Federation Passive Requestor Profile
SOAP-over-UDP
WS-Management
WS-Transfer
WS-Management Catalog
WS-Trust
WS-MetadataExchange
WS-I Basic Profile
WS-Policy
Web Single Sign-On Interoperability Profile
WS-PolicyAttachment
Web Single Sign-On Metadata Exchange Protocol
WS-ReliableMessaging

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ

Daniel

Brett Roberts wrote:
> Long time, no post. This announcement, made earlier today, may be of
> interest to a number of people on this group. In a nutshell Microsoft is
> making the protocols listed below freely available for use without
> requiring license agreements etc. FWIW, Lawrence Rosen and Red Hat's
> Mark Webbink seem to think it's a good thing.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx

<snip>

Cool.

I don't suppose there's any possibility that NTFS (I know it's not a
protocol) might be open anytime soon?

It's annoying how OEM laptop manufacturers have their hard drives
formatted with FAT32 partitions these days because the partitioning
tools don't handle NTFS properly - unless Paragon decide to open source
their NTFS code.

Allistar

Brett Roberts wrote:

> Long time, no post. This announcement, made earlier today, may be of
> interest to a number of people on this group. In a nutshell Microsoft is
> making the protocols listed below freely available for use without
> requiring license agreements etc. FWIW, Lawrence Rosen and Red Hat's Mark
> Webbink seem to think it's a good thing.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx
>
> WS-Addressing
> WS-RM Policy
> WS-AtomicTransaction
> Remote Shell Web Services Protocol
> WS-BusinessActivity
> WS-SecureConversation
> WS-Coordination
> WS-Security: Kerberos Binding
> WS-Discovery
> WS-Security: SOAP Message Security
> WSDL
> WS-Security: UsernameToken Profile
> WSDL 1.1 Binding Extension for SOAP 1.2
> WS-Security: X.509 Certificate Token Profile
> WS-Enumeration
> WS-SecurityPolicy
> WS-Eventing
> SOAP
> WS-Federation
> SOAP 1.1 Binding for MTOM 1.0
> WS-Federation Active Requestor Profile
> SOAP MTOM / XOP
> WS-Federation Passive Requestor Profile
> SOAP-over-UDP
> WS-Management
> WS-Transfer
> WS-Management Catalog
> WS-Trust
> WS-MetadataExchange
> WS-I Basic Profile
> WS-Policy
> Web Single Sign-On Interoperability Profile
> WS-PolicyAttachment
> Web Single Sign-On Metadata Exchange Protocol
> WS-ReliableMessaging
>

> Brett Roberts
> Microsoft NZ

Cool. SOAP and WSDL are already open protocols. When will SMB and the .doc
format get opened up?

Allistar.

Brett Roberts

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Brett Roberts wrote:
>
>> Long time, no post. This announcement, made earlier today, may be of
>> interest to a number of people on this group. In a nutshell Microsoft is
>> making the protocols listed below freely available for use without
>> requiring license agreements etc. FWIW, Lawrence Rosen and Red Hat's Mark
>> Webbink seem to think it's a good thing.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx
>>
>> WS-Addressing
>> WS-RM Policy
>> WS-AtomicTransaction
>> Remote Shell Web Services Protocol
>> WS-BusinessActivity
>> WS-SecureConversation
>> WS-Coordination
>> WS-Security: Kerberos Binding
>> WS-Discovery
>> WS-Security: SOAP Message Security
>> WSDL
>> WS-Security: UsernameToken Profile
>> WSDL 1.1 Binding Extension for SOAP 1.2
>> WS-Security: X.509 Certificate Token Profile
>> WS-Enumeration
>> WS-SecurityPolicy
>> WS-Eventing
>> SOAP
>> WS-Federation
>> SOAP 1.1 Binding for MTOM 1.0
>> WS-Federation Active Requestor Profile
>> SOAP MTOM / XOP
>> WS-Federation Passive Requestor Profile
>> SOAP-over-UDP
>> WS-Management
>> WS-Transfer
>> WS-Management Catalog
>> WS-Trust
>> WS-MetadataExchange
>> WS-I Basic Profile
>> WS-Policy
>> Web Single Sign-On Interoperability Profile
>> WS-PolicyAttachment
>> Web Single Sign-On Metadata Exchange Protocol
>> WS-ReliableMessaging
>>

>> Brett Roberts
>> Microsoft NZ

> Cool. SOAP and WSDL are already open protocols. When will SMB and the .doc
> format get opened up?
>
> Allistar.

I don't know about the SMB protocol but there's info on the OpenXML Schema
licensing at:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/xml/covenant.mspx

And a 3rd party legal opinion of the above:

http://www.bakernet.com/BakerNet/Res...ns/OpenXML.htm

And some additional background info:

http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/ar...22/495876.aspx

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <ee7ag7$igp$(E-Mail Removed)>, Daniel wrote:

> I don't suppose there's any possibility that NTFS (I know it's not a
> protocol) might be open anytime soon?
>
> It's annoying how OEM laptop manufacturers have their hard drives
> formatted with FAT32 partitions these days because the partitioning
> tools don't handle NTFS properly - unless Paragon decide to open source
> their NTFS code.

I believe there is already Free Software NTFS read/write code available
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=23836054&forum_id=2697>.

MaHogany

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:46:31 +1200, Brett Roberts wrote:

> Long time, no post. This announcement, made earlier today, may be of
> interest to a number of people on this group. In a nutshell Microsoft is
> making the protocols listed below freely available for use without requiring
> license agreements etc. FWIW, Lawrence Rosen and Red Hat's Mark Webbink seem
> to think it's a good thing.

Yes - it is indeed a good thing that M$ has agreed not to sue people for
using material that M$ has included within a few software patents.

One question, however.

Why is M$ agreeing not to sue people for using Keberos? Since when did M$
"own" Keberos?

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

MaHogany

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:25:05 +1200, Brett Roberts wrote:

> I don't know about the SMB protocol but there's info on the OpenXML Schema
> licensing at:

The "OpenXML" schema does not describe the ".doc" file formats.

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

Brett Roberts

"MaHogany" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:25:05 +1200, Brett Roberts wrote:
>
>> I don't know about the SMB protocol but there's info on the OpenXML
>> Schema
>> licensing at:

> The "OpenXML" schema does not describe the ".doc" file formats.
>

> Ma Hogany
>
> --
> "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
> fries with that, if prompted."

Documentation for the .doc, .xls, .ppt and .drw formats is available under
the same "Covenant Not to Sue" licensing arrangement as the OpenXML schemas.
If anybody wants more info on this please email me directly.

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ

AD.

MaHogany wrote:
> Why is M$ agreeing not to sue people for using Keberos? Since when did M$
> "own" Keberos?

That wasn't Kerberos itself - that was just the Kerberos bindings for
their SOAP web services stack. I presume this lets SOAP clients get
authenticated using Kerberos.

--
Cheers
Anton

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>, AD.
wrote:

> MaHogany wrote:
>> Why is M$ agreeing not to sue people for using Keberos? Since when did M$
>> "own" Keberos?

> That wasn't Kerberos itself - that was just the Kerberos bindings for
> their SOAP web services stack.

Microsoft _did_ do its own mutation of Kerberos. And then tried to sue
people distributing the document it published
<http://brianlivingston.com/windowmanager/archive/articles/op/xml/00/05/29/000529oplivingston.xml.html>.