Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Best Linux for beginner Also

Best Linux for beginner Also

Shane

Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, steve <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote: (snip)
>>> Good thing about Xandros is you can install it over the top of Windows
>>> and it will
>>> give you the choice of keeping the Fat32 partition, and add the Windows
>>> startup option to the boot loader, giving you a dual boot system.

>>Most of the mainstream Linux distros do that.

> Does anyone know if it will it do likewise with an aging RH 9 system ? ie
> will it install side by side ... or will it want to use the same space for
> stuff and break the working RH system ?
>
> Thanks

Multi booting several linux (linices?) is trivial
Assuming you have / and /swap partitioned for RH9, find some more space on
your HDD, and point <new linux> at that new space. Creating a / partition
for <new linux> and reuse the existing /swap
Instruct the installer to install the bootloader on your new drive space
(ie. NOT in the MBR)
The tricky bit is telling grub (which was installed by RH 9) to chainload
the new bootloader
This is done by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst (on the RH 9 partition) and
adding the following lines

# linux installation on /dev/hda4.
title <funky name for new linux>
#point to the bootloader note this is zero indexed
root (hd0,3)
#point to the kernel, note the hda number
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 ro
#some important stuff
savedefault
#mmmm more important stuff
boot

--
Professor Farnsworth: Good news everyone, I'm still technically alive.

blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

BrianM

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:56:22 +1000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, steve <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote: (snip)
>>> Good thing about Xandros is you can install it over the top of Windows
>>> and it will
>>> give you the choice of keeping the Fat32 partition, and add the
>>> Windows startup option to the boot loader, giving you a dual boot
>>> system.

>>Most of the mainstream Linux distros do that.

> Does anyone know if it will it do likewise with an aging RH 9 system ?
> ie will it install side by side ... or will it want to use the same
> space for stuff and break the working RH system ?
>
> Thanks

I once installed Xandros3 over an existing dual-boot system (Mandrake9 and
Win9. Mandrake not longer worked but Win98 did !.
Ymmv on this one.

--
BrianM

steve

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>>> Good thing about Xandros is you can install it over the top of Windows and
>>> it will
>>> give you the choice of keeping the Fat32 partition, and add the Windows
>>> startup option to the boot loader, giving you a dual boot system.

>> Most of the mainstream Linux distros do that.

> Does anyone know if it will it do likewise with an aging RH 9 system ? ie
> will it install side by side ... or will it want to use the same space for
> stuff and break the working RH system ?
>
> Thanks

It should be OK....but it is best to do the manual disk config if
offered and, if offered, select the partitions you want the option of
booting from.

babumonjose1@gmail.com

Choosing best Linux distros depends upon your machine specifications,your needs and your knowledge about Linux distros.Every one has their own opinions about best linux distros.I have categorized them into various groups so that a reader can easily choose the best distro for his need.Read my articleat
http://www.bestlinuxdistros.com/2012...our-needs.html