Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Best Linux Distro for a learner

Best Linux Distro for a learner

Jamie Kahn Genet

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> In message <450508a5$(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy wrote:
>
> > Earl Grey wrote:

> >> Have a look at the prices of mac minis on trademe

> > Well with the duo intel based ones out, I'd expect them to be flogged
> > off. The mac mini was bearly up to anything beyond web browsing....

> They might work better with Linux installed on them. OS X has well-known
> issues with multitasking, which could be having a performance impact.

You're joking, right? OSX has some VERY MINOR performance issues, but
NOTHING that would seriously impact the OPs Uncle, or 99.9% of Mac
users. All _I_ get is blazing speed in multiple apps running in multiple
threads on multiple CPU cores.

Frankly I'm tempted to label you a troll. What you said is THAT
laughable.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Robert Cooze

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz(*sling)> wrote:
>
>> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:1hlhoky.al3pancbxbt3N%(E-Mail Removed) .nz...

>>> Good point. I HATE the way my older sister and Uncle have practically
>>> ensured my parents and grandparents have Winblows PCs. But of course
>>> THEY don't live close enough to have to bother supporting them. Who
>>> does? Yep - I do, the Mac and Unix user
>>>
>>> Though that does leave aside the point that Windows machines used by
>>> non-technical users need WAY MORE support. I loath supporting this sort
>>> of ****.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Jamie Kahn Genet

>> There are many old folk who are happily using old computers running Win
>> 95/98.
>> For their light demands they don't need much else.
>>
>> Those older people who buy a digital camera are far better off with XP with
>> it's photo Wizard for those that like it real easy and simple.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> If you want hassle free use of a digital camera get a Mac. No drivers
> needed. No installs. It just works. I'm always amused when Windows users
> get flumoxed when I say "just plug your camera in" to my Mac. But that's
> all they need to do.
>
> Still, I must admit WinXP's various Wizards are not too bad these days,
> if you like the hand holding style.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

Windows seems to be the easiest for the lowest ability to get up and
running and then contently into trouble.

The camera thing! most are usb mass storage devices, little need to
install software from the disk from the manufacture.... BUT there are
dire warnings in the manual of the camera you must install and the
problems will be many and nasty. IMHO windows explorer actually does a
good job here followed by the camera and scanner wizard (winXP). My
farther in law and brother in law have relay gone to town on farther in
law's machine there is olympus software (no olympus cameras) two
versions of unlead photoshop and acrobat I once heard them say use
acrobat to download the photos .... the farther in law is very confused
they have lost many photos in there confusion. I do not help them any
more as they wont use the simple tools or cant under stand file
management create file on hard drive and put photos in it when getting
big burn a disk of photos!

E. Scrooge

"Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4505b34d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>> E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz(*sling)> wrote:
>>
>>> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:1hlhoky.al3pancbxbt3N%(E-Mail Removed) .nz...

>>> There are many old folk who are happily using old computers running Win
>>> 95/98.
>>> For their light demands they don't need much else.
>>>
>>> Those older people who buy a digital camera are far better off with XP
>>> with
>>> it's photo Wizard for those that like it real easy and simple.
>>>
>>> E. Scrooge

>> If you want hassle free use of a digital camera get a Mac. No drivers
>> needed. No installs. It just works. I'm always amused when Windows users
>> get flumoxed when I say "just plug your camera in" to my Mac. But that's
>> all they need to do.
>>
>> Still, I must admit WinXP's various Wizards are not too bad these days,
>> if you like the hand holding style.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jamie Kahn Genet

> Windows seems to be the easiest for the lowest ability to get up and
> running and then contently into trouble.
>
> The camera thing! most are usb mass storage devices, little need to
> install software from the disk from the manufacture.... BUT there are
> dire warnings in the manual of the camera you must install and the
> problems will be many and nasty. IMHO windows explorer actually does a
> good job here followed by the camera and scanner wizard (winXP). My
> farther in law and brother in law have relay gone to town on farther in
> law's machine there is olympus software (no olympus cameras) two
> versions of unlead photoshop and acrobat I once heard them say use
> acrobat to download the photos .... the farther in law is very confused
> they have lost many photos in there confusion. I do not help them any
> more as they wont use the simple tools or cant under stand file
> management create file on hard drive and put photos in it when getting
> big burn a disk of photos!

That's a real shame. Some people should just use what's easiest while still
getting the good results they want out of it.

I have an Olympus at first I used the software to download the pictures, but
I haven't used the Olympus software in ages. Even though it does have a few
good features.
I mainly downlowd any pictures I want to keep and edit directly into PSP9.
I have an older friend who's fairly new to computers, easiest way for him is
to use XP's Wizard to download any pictures he wants from his camera, then
load them from from his Canon Photos folder into PSP for editing.

Casio cameras are poorly designed as the USB can be connected to the camera
either way round even though it will only work when connected the right way.
Most real cameras have the connector shaped so that it will only fit the
right way into the camera. Fortunately the person who briefly had Casio
that wouldn't connect more often than the few it times it would to a PCs
whether they were using XP or Linux now has much better Canon camera.

E. Scrooge

Jamie Kahn Genet

Robert Cooze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> > E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz(*sling)> wrote:
> >
> >> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:1hlhoky.al3pancbxbt3N%(E-Mail Removed) .nz...

> >> There are many old folk who are happily using old computers running Win
> >> 95/98.
> >> For their light demands they don't need much else.
> >>
> >> Those older people who buy a digital camera are far better off with XP with
> >> it's photo Wizard for those that like it real easy and simple.
> >>
> >> E. Scrooge

> > If you want hassle free use of a digital camera get a Mac. No drivers
> > needed. No installs. It just works. I'm always amused when Windows users
> > get flummoxed when I say "just plug your camera in" to my Mac. But that's
> > all they need to do.
> >
> > Still, I must admit WinXP's various Wizards are not too bad these days,
> > if you like the hand holding style.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet

> Windows seems to be the easiest for the lowest ability to get up and
> running and then contentedly into trouble.
>
> The camera thing! most are usb mass storage devices, little need to
> install software from the disk from the manufacture.... BUT there are
> dire warnings in the manual of the camera you must install and the
> problems will be many and nasty. IMHO windows explorer actually does a
> good job here followed by the camera and scanner wizard (winXP). My
> farther in law and brother in law have relay gone to town on farther in
> law's machine there is olympus software (no olympus cameras) two
> versions of unlead photoshop and acrobat I once heard them say use
> acrobat to download the photos .... the farther in law is very confused
> they have lost many photos in there confusion. I do not help them any
> more as they wont use the simple tools or cant under stand file
> management create file on hard drive and put photos in it when getting
> big burn a disk of photos!

I totally agree. I don't even bother with iPhoto on my Mac (but then I'm
not a big photo taker anyway). I just import them using GraphicConverter
(which I've set as the default photo importing app instead of iPhoto),
batch correct levels, rotate those that are the wrong way up, and save
to my Photos folder in an appropriately named folder.

I've TRIED to get my Grandmother to use the same simple system, but no -
she insists on using the photo cataloguing software that came with the
camera, and she just WON'T learn how to navigate the file system, so she
doesn't know how to save files into a folder, or how to create a new
folder, or even how to find that folder later unless it's in 'My
Documents' or 'My Photos' or one of the other default places. *sighs*
I've made slightly more progress with my Mum, but none at all with my
stepfather.

I've pretty much had to give up with my Grandmother - it's been six
years and she still cannot be bothered getting to grips with the file
system. It's not like she hasn't learnt other stuff of equal complexity.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

P.S. That "use acrobat to download the photos" quote is a classic It
would be even funnier if it didn't hit so close to home for me. I listen
to the blind leading the blind and some of the computer advice I hear my
family giving each other... god help us all...

MarkH

(E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in
news:1hlijgq.f4l190tjg2agN%(E-Mail Removed) .nz:

> If you want hassle free use of a digital camera get a Mac. No drivers
> needed. No installs. It just works. I'm always amused when Windows
> users get flumoxed when I say "just plug your camera in" to my Mac.
> But that's all they need to do.

I have set up my mother's old (Win9 PC for my step-fathers digital
camera. I have given her written instructions which amount to: Plug camera
in, on the window that pops up click on copy to PC - done.

On my WinXP box I plug the card from my camera into the card reader built
into my LCD, then I use Xplorer2 to copy the files into a folder I created.

On Linux I plug the card into a USB2 card reader and use whatever pops up
to copy the files to the HDD.

I find it strange that so many people have problems using whatever OS to do
such a simple thing. In my experience this is easy no matter what OS you
use.

Personally whenever I see a Mac I cringe - to many design ideas that I
hate. There are too many Macs available that build the PC into the screen,
I find that a horrible idea. It may look stylish and simple to have a
screen with a keyboard and mouse plugged into it and nothing else, but if
my screen failed/got damaged/developed bad pixels/whatever - then I know
that I can plug in another screen and carry on. All in one TV/VCR units
never really caught on and the PC/Monitor is just as bad an idea. I don't
like the rubbish Apple mouse that usually comes with the system, but at
least you can connect any USB mouse you like and it will work fine. I also
hate the GUI, just not to my tastes I suppose.

For the simple stuff like Web browsing/E-Mail/Word Processing/Digital
Camera/Solitaire you can't beat a computer running whatever works. My
WinXP PC doesn't get viruses or spyware or adware, it runs for months
without crashing and it plays the latest games. My Linux boxes also run
for months without crashing and do everything I need them to.

One simple thing to try for the OP is to install Firefox, this should
reduce the adware/spyware dramatically. On my mother's PC I have removed
the links to IE and just have Firefox shortcuts on the desktop and start
menu. A good AV + not using IE and the problems seem to be few and far
between. If that doesn't work then running Linux could be worth trying.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Jamie Kahn Genet

MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[snip]
> One simple thing to try for the OP is to install Firefox, this should
> reduce the adware/spyware dramatically. On my mother's PC I have removed
> the links to IE and just have Firefox shortcuts on the desktop and start
> menu. A good AV + not using IE and the problems seem to be few and far
> between. If that doesn't work then running Linux could be worth trying.

Absolutely! Ditch IE for Firefox and replace OE with Thunderbird. You
close many of Window's nastiest security holes just by doing that and
using Windows Update on automatic.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Robert Cooze

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4505b34d$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

>>> If you want hassle free use of a digital camera get a Mac. No drivers
>>> needed. No installs. It just works. I'm always amused when Windows users
>>> get flumoxed when I say "just plug your camera in" to my Mac. But that's
>>> all they need to do.
>>>
>>> Still, I must admit WinXP's various Wizards are not too bad these days,
>>> if you like the hand holding style.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Jamie Kahn Genet

>> Windows seems to be the easiest for the lowest ability to get up and
>> running and then contently into trouble.
>>
>> The camera thing! most are usb mass storage devices, little need to
>> install software from the disk from the manufacture.... BUT there are
>> dire warnings in the manual of the camera you must install and the
>> problems will be many and nasty. IMHO windows explorer actually does a
>> good job here followed by the camera and scanner wizard (winXP). My
>> farther in law and brother in law have relay gone to town on farther in
>> law's machine there is olympus software (no olympus cameras) two
>> versions of unlead photoshop and acrobat I once heard them say use
>> acrobat to download the photos .... the farther in law is very confused
>> they have lost many photos in there confusion. I do not help them any
>> more as they wont use the simple tools or cant under stand file
>> management create file on hard drive and put photos in it when getting
>> big burn a disk of photos!

> That's a real shame. Some people should just use what's easiest while still
> getting the good results they want out of it.
>
> I have an Olympus at first I used the software to download the pictures, but
> I haven't used the Olympus software in ages. Even though it does have a few
> good features.
> I mainly downlowd any pictures I want to keep and edit directly into PSP9.
> I have an older friend who's fairly new to computers, easiest way for him is
> to use XP's Wizard to download any pictures he wants from his camera, then
> load them from from his Canon Photos folder into PSP for editing.
>
> Casio cameras are poorly designed as the USB can be connected to the camera
> either way round even though it will only work when connected the right way.
> Most real cameras have the connector shaped so that it will only fit the
> right way into the camera. Fortunately the person who briefly had Casio
> that wouldn't connect more often than the few it times it would to a PCs
> whether they were using XP or Linux now has much better Canon camera.
>
> E. Scrooge

As I have played around with some of the software which can supplement
the software with the computer if you are using say something like win98
but I think XP is well enough endowed to handle the basics.

But as I digress As for Linux the Best Linux Distro for a learner would
be a hard one to pick. I started with win 311 then to win95 palyed
arround with slackware then win98 2K and XP. gave up windows for the
main stay desktop for the last 3 months. been using Gentoo with gnome as
the desktop been pretty happy but I like KDE for setting things up.
And the way time has become playing around with differing distros is a
thing of the past I would safely say SlackWare and Gentoo would not be
beginner choices, But Ubunto and Kbunto don't really teach you
Linux/Unix but let you get on with the job of computing.

Robert Cooze

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Robert Cooze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

>>> If you want hassle free use of a digital camera get a Mac. No drivers
>>> needed. No installs. It just works. I'm always amused when Windows users
>>> get flummoxed when I say "just plug your camera in" to my Mac. But that's
>>> all they need to do.
>>>
>>> Still, I must admit WinXP's various Wizards are not too bad these days,
>>> if you like the hand holding style.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Jamie Kahn Genet

>> Windows seems to be the easiest for the lowest ability to get up and
>> running and then contentedly into trouble.
>>
>> The camera thing! most are usb mass storage devices, little need to
>> install software from the disk from the manufacture.... BUT there are
>> dire warnings in the manual of the camera you must install and the
>> problems will be many and nasty. IMHO windows explorer actually does a
>> good job here followed by the camera and scanner wizard (winXP). My
>> farther in law and brother in law have relay gone to town on farther in
>> law's machine there is olympus software (no olympus cameras) two
>> versions of unlead photoshop and acrobat I once heard them say use
>> acrobat to download the photos .... the farther in law is very confused
>> they have lost many photos in there confusion. I do not help them any
>> more as they wont use the simple tools or cant under stand file
>> management create file on hard drive and put photos in it when getting
>> big burn a disk of photos!

> I totally agree. I don't even bother with iPhoto on my Mac (but then I'm
> not a big photo taker anyway). I just import them using GraphicConverter
> (which I've set as the default photo importing app instead of iPhoto),
> batch correct levels, rotate those that are the wrong way up, and save
> to my Photos folder in an appropriately named folder.
>
> I've TRIED to get my Grandmother to use the same simple system, but no -
> she insists on using the photo cataloguing software that came with the
> camera, and she just WON'T learn how to navigate the file system, so she
> doesn't know how to save files into a folder, or how to create a new
> folder, or even how to find that folder later unless it's in 'My
> Documents' or 'My Photos' or one of the other default places. *sighs*
> I've made slightly more progress with my Mum, but none at all with my
> stepfather.
>
> I've pretty much had to give up with my Grandmother - it's been six
> years and she still cannot be bothered getting to grips with the file
> system. It's not like she hasn't learnt other stuff of equal complexity.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet
>
> P.S. That "use acrobat to download the photos" quote is a classic It
> would be even funnier if it didn't hit so close to home for me. I listen
> to the blind leading the blind and some of the computer advice I hear my
> family giving each other... god help us all...

You can choose your friends but you are stuck with relatives. To qoute
balckadderII relatives that's evidence of sex and sex is a sin

So I wonder is this payback on sex? or getting the comeuppances on yore
off spring?

I have seen the desktop with over 100++ files saved there and the trash
can as a storage device for when the desk top filled up! none of my
rellies have been that bad yet!

But they say I need to upgrade my msn now, as I cant use there latest
smyley sets of Icons! Hell they need to upgrade as they cant do MSN
Yahoo and ICQ with lots of different ID's at the same time

MarkusJNZ@gmail.com

Thanks for everyones help. This has given me more than few options
Thanks again
Markusj

Kiwis-online.com domain redirection service
http://www.kiwis-online.com
Free kiwis-online subdomain

steve wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
> > is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
> > Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).

> I did exactly that (Ubuntu 6.06) for the couple across the road.....and
> once they got over the login thing (they had set WinXP to not require
> login) they were fine.
>
> I sawe the guy yesterday and he says he's very ahppy with it.....and no
> virus or malware hassles.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <1hlj3xa.12mn1xp198rfw4N%(E-Mail Removed) z>, Jamie Kahn
Genet wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>> > Well with the duo intel based ones out, I'd expect them to be flogged
>> > off. The mac mini was bearly up to anything beyond web browsing....

>> They might work better with Linux installed on them. OS X has well-known
>> issues with multitasking, which could be having a performance impact.

> You're joking, right? OSX has some VERY MINOR performance issues, but
> NOTHING that would seriously impact the OPs Uncle, or 99.9% of Mac
> users. All _I_ get is blazing speed in multiple apps running in multiple
> threads on multiple CPU cores.
>
> Frankly I'm tempted to label you a troll. What you said is THAT
> laughable.

I'll be kind and assume you're just ignorant
<http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2520&p=2>. But Apple has known
about threading performance issues for the last 5 years
<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2028.html>, and they've never
been fixed.