Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Best Linux Distro for a learner

Best Linux Distro for a learner

Adam

The latest Knoppix really is Very good, for trying out a few things on a
live CD. Because lots of software is there, and it runs straight off.

For the future, you should consider adding a separate HDD for the Linux of
your choice, and during the Linux install allow the dual-boot option to be
configured. Keep a copy of the original boot sector on a floppy just in
case.

If the 2nd HDD is of any reasonable size, then you can try alternative Linux
distros and boot between them until you all decide which.

Windows seems to have the best sound editing software (Audition,
Soundforge), but Linux is catching up fast (Audacity is usable and being
actively developed). Linux of course has the safest mail and internet
environment.

The 2nd (separate) HDD for solely Linux, with a FAT32 common windows
interchange partition, seems the best and most flexible solution, allowing
the best of all possible worlds.

I'll just mention considering Mandriva, who seem to have a friendly and
helpful newsgroup and as an OS seems user friendly.

E. Scrooge

"Jamie Kahn Genet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1hlhoky.al3pancbxbt3N%(E-Mail Removed) .nz...
> Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:
>
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
>> > forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
>> > constantly fix for him.
>> >
>> > He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
>> > is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
>> > Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).
>> >
>> > Any other opinions about the best Linux distro for a complete novice
>> > more than welcome. He does not have any fancy hardware but likes to
>> > play around with imaging editing software occasionally.
>> >
>> > TIA
>> > Markus

>> The only thing I can add to the others suggestions is to ask, who has to
>> fix
>> things he breaks, if thats you, install the Linux you are most familiar
>> with.

> Good point. I HATE the way my older sister and Uncle have practically
> ensured my parents and grandparents have Winblows PCs. But of course
> THEY don't live close enough to have to bother supporting them. Who
> does? Yep - I do, the Mac and Unix user
>
> Though that does leave aside the point that Windows machines used by
> non-technical users need WAY MORE support. I loath supporting this sort
> of ****.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

There are many old folk who are happily using old computers running Win
95/98.
For their light demands they don't need much else.

Those older people who buy a digital camera are far better off with XP with
it's photo Wizard for those that like it real easy and simple.

E. Scrooge

Jamie Kahn Genet

E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz(*sling)> wrote:

> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1hlhoky.al3pancbxbt3N%(E-Mail Removed) .nz...
> > Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:

> >> The only thing I can add to the others suggestions is to ask, who has to
> >> fix
> >> things he breaks, if thats you, install the Linux you are most familiar
> >> with.

> > Good point. I HATE the way my older sister and Uncle have practically
> > ensured my parents and grandparents have Winblows PCs. But of course
> > THEY don't live close enough to have to bother supporting them. Who
> > does? Yep - I do, the Mac and Unix user
> >
> > Though that does leave aside the point that Windows machines used by
> > non-technical users need WAY MORE support. I loath supporting this sort
> > of ****.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet

> There are many old folk who are happily using old computers running Win
> 95/98.
> For their light demands they don't need much else.
>
> Those older people who buy a digital camera are far better off with XP with
> it's photo Wizard for those that like it real easy and simple.
>
> E. Scrooge

If you want hassle free use of a digital camera get a Mac. No drivers
needed. No installs. It just works. I'm always amused when Windows users
get flumoxed when I say "just plug your camera in" to my Mac. But that's
all they need to do.

Still, I must admit WinXP's various Wizards are not too bad these days,
if you like the hand holding style.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet

Adam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[snip]
> Windows seems to have the best sound editing software (Audition,
> Soundforge), but Linux is catching up fast (Audacity is usable and being
> actively developed). Linux of course has the safest mail and internet
> environment.

Those are some very broad generalisations you're making there, but
specifically I do not agree Windows has the best audio editing software.
What about Garageband (basically Logic LE), Logic Express and Logic Pro,
BIAS Deck LE and BIAS Deck, Pro Tools, etc, etc? All world class Mac
Audio editing software for novice to pro, and frankly better than
anything you'll find on Windows.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Ray Greene

On 10 Sep 2006 03:43:24 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
>forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
>constantly fix for him.
>
>He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
>is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
>Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).
>
>Any other opinions about the best Linux distro for a complete novice
>more than welcome. He does not have any fancy hardware but likes to
>play around with imaging editing software occasionally.

I think Xandros is the easiest Linux to use, it's very Windows-like.
The is a free Open Circulation Edition, I'm not sure what the difference is
between this and the paid for version.

--
Ray Greene

thingy

Earl Grey wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:24:53 +1200, thingy wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
>>> forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
>>> constantly fix for him.
>>>
>>> He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
>>> is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
>>> Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).
>>>
>>> Any other opinions about the best Linux distro for a complete novice
>>> more than welcome. He does not have any fancy hardware but likes to
>>> play around with imaging editing software occasionally.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Markus

>>> Kiwis-online.com domain redirection service
>>> http://www.kiwis-online.com
>>>

>> Ubantu....but to be honest, I'd go Mac......but thta's $.
>>

> Have a look at the prices of mac minis on trademe

Well with the duo intel based ones out, I'd expect them to be flogged
off. The mac mini was bearly up to anything beyond web browsing....the
dual core with 2 gig ram should run rings around them.

regards

Thing

Jamie Kahn Genet

thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Earl Grey wrote:

> >> Ubantu....but to be honest, I'd go Mac......but thta's $.
> >>

> > Have a look at the prices of mac minis on trademe

> Well with the duo intel based ones out, I'd expect them to be flogged
> off. The mac mini was bearly up to anything beyond web browsing....the
> dual core with 2 gig ram should run rings around them.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Bit unfair, I think. But yeah, the Intel dual core minis are super fast
in comparison. Still, I'd only consider the mini if you already have a
nice monitor, kb, mouse, speakers, etc. Otherwise the iMac is better
value for money, unless you really need a super large screen.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <450508a5$(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy wrote:

> Earl Grey wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:24:53 +1200, thingy wrote:
>>
>>> Ub[u]ntu....but to be honest, I'd go Mac......but th[at]'s $.

>> Have a look at the prices of mac minis on trademe

> Well with the duo intel based ones out, I'd expect them to be flogged
> off. The mac mini was bearly up to anything beyond web browsing....

They might work better with Linux installed on them. OS X has well-known
issues with multitasking, which could be having a performance impact.

steve

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
> is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
> Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).

I did exactly that (Ubuntu 6.06) for the couple across the road.....and
once they got over the login thing (they had set WinXP to not require
login) they were fine.

I sawe the guy yesterday and he says he's very ahppy with it.....and no
virus or malware hassles.

steve

Ray Greene wrote:

> I think Xandros is the easiest Linux to use, it's very Windows-like.
> The is a free Open Circulation Edition, I'm not sure what the difference is
> between this and the paid for version.

I use Xandros as my main Linux, too.....

The paid versions ("Premium") also have support for Windows apps via the
most recent version of Crossover Office (a commercial, packaged and
supported version of WINE). My wife has been running MS Office 2000 on
Xandros Linux with Crossover with ZERO hassles for several years now.
It's very stable.