Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Best Linux Distro for a learner

Best Linux Distro for a learner

MarkusJNZ@gmail.com

Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
constantly fix for him.

He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).

Any other opinions about the best Linux distro for a complete novice
more than welcome. He does not have any fancy hardware but likes to
play around with imaging editing software occasionally.

TIA
Markus

Kiwis-online.com domain redirection service
http://www.kiwis-online.com

Adam

On 10 Sep 2006 03:43:24 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
>forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
>constantly fix for him.
>
>He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
>is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
>Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).
>
>Any other opinions about the best Linux distro for a complete novice
>more than welcome. He does not have any fancy hardware but likes to
>play around with imaging editing software occasionally.
>
>TIA
>Markus

As you may see from my other posts here, I've been around a bit (PC
term for "old") and am not exactly a Linux geek (or Guru).

Having had some pretty horrific experiences with Red Hat a few years
ago, I tested a few of the more popular "easy" distros (ie. ones with
nice and friendly GUIs and live CDs) about a year ago.

Ubuntu struck me as being the first one for a fair while that could
(almost) be installed and run by someone with an IQ of less than 500.

I've installed it a few times since from 5.04 to 6.06 and have had a
really good experience with it. The impression I get is that when it
works, it works *well* and is a doddle. In the odd few cases, though,
it can bite you in the bum. But then, Windows can do that to you too

The current version (6.06 - Breezy Badger) seemed to be the easiest
yet to install, yet more complained about failed installs than
previously.

The best bet is to try the live CD, which runs totally in memory and
doesn't touch the hard drive at all. If it works, detects your network
and the internet with no real hardware issues, then you stand a fair
chance of a decent install - and you can play with it for as long as
you like (at least until you turn off!) without fear of corrupting
anything.

Many of the popular distros do live CDs these days, so don't just try
Ubuntu. I liked Linspire as well, but none of the others seemed to
come close. But that was a year or so ago.

If you need a live CD, give me a shout.

Adam.

Jamie Kahn Genet

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
> forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
> constantly fix for him.
>
> He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
> is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
> Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).
>
> Any other opinions about the best Linux distro for a complete novice
> more than welcome. He does not have any fancy hardware but likes to
> play around with imaging editing software occasionally.
>
> TIA
> Markus

Then I also suggest Ubuntu. It's easy to install and try out beforehand
using the single Live/Install CD (which they'll send you free of charge
if you don't want to download and burn your own), and comes with Mozilla
Firefox and Thunderbird which are a great Web Browser and a pretty
decent email application. He can also use GIMP to edit photos. Ubuntu is
the most easy to use distro I've ever tried. You're on the right track
there, IMO.

However, I'd also suggest looking into an Apple Mac if he wants to get
into home photo and even audio and movie editing. There are essentially
no Mac viruses in the wild, or any of the other security issues that
plague Windows users. Plus Macs come with outstanding and very easy to
use photo (iPhoto), audio (Garageband) and movie editing (iMovie)
software for home users, and if later he should want to graduate to
better, more professional tools - the best are available on the Mac.

The Mac is THE platform for the creative professional. It's also even
EASIER to use than even the best Linux distros like Ubuntu. Plus the new
Intel Macs can run Windows (or Linux for that matter) on either a
separate partition using Apple's free Boot Camp software (so easy to
use!) or at the same time as Mac OS using Parallels software, so if
there's some PC only software he really wants to run (usually a game, as
many PC games are never ported to the Mac, though the best titles are
almost all there) - he can, no hassles.

Still - if he'd rather go the free software route - Ubuntu 'aint bad!
Just remember you get what you pay for...

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Peter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
> forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
> constantly fix for him.

If you want a low maintenance computer for a user who is not computer
oriented, a Mac might be the best choice.
However, if you want to increase resistance to malware while staying with
the same hardware, Linux can certainly do the job. You might find it
difficult to set up and maintain a Linux box if you are not familiar with
Linux yourself. Linux is not difficult, just very different.
I prefer Mandriva, and Ubuntu would also be a good choice.

Linux is very different, so there is quite a bit of learning involved when
you get started. Read this ...
and get along to your local LUG (if you live near one)
http://www.linux.net.nz/node/view/11

http://wiki.linux.net.nz/SelectingADistribution
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

HTH

Peter

Shane

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
> forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
> constantly fix for him.
>
> He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
> is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
> Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).
>
> Any other opinions about the best Linux distro for a complete novice
> more than welcome. He does not have any fancy hardware but likes to
> play around with imaging editing software occasionally.
>
> TIA
> Markus

The only thing I can add to the others suggestions is to ask, who has to fix
things he breaks, if thats you, install the Linux you are most familiar
with.

--
[The Pharaoh of Osiris IV has died and the priest lists things being buried
with him.]

blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

thingy

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
> forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
> constantly fix for him.
>
> He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
> is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
> Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).
>
> Any other opinions about the best Linux distro for a complete novice
> more than welcome. He does not have any fancy hardware but likes to
> play around with imaging editing software occasionally.
>
> TIA
> Markus

> Kiwis-online.com domain redirection service
> http://www.kiwis-online.com

Ubantu....but to be honest, I'd go Mac......but thta's $.

Image editing try "the gimp"

regards

Thing

Jamie Kahn Genet

Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
> > forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
> > constantly fix for him.
> >
> > He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
> > is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
> > Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).
> >
> > Any other opinions about the best Linux distro for a complete novice
> > more than welcome. He does not have any fancy hardware but likes to
> > play around with imaging editing software occasionally.
> >
> > TIA
> > Markus

> The only thing I can add to the others suggestions is to ask, who has to fix
> things he breaks, if thats you, install the Linux you are most familiar
> with.

Good point. I HATE the way my older sister and Uncle have practically
ensured my parents and grandparents have Winblows PCs. But of course
THEY don't live close enough to have to bother supporting them. Who
does? Yep - I do, the Mac and Unix user

Though that does leave aside the point that Windows machines used by
non-technical users need WAY MORE support. I loath supporting this sort
of ****.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Philip

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
> forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
> constantly fix for him.
>
> He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
> is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
> Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).
>
> Any other opinions about the best Linux distro for a complete novice
> more than welcome. He does not have any fancy hardware but likes to
> play around with imaging editing software occasionally.
>
> TIA
> Markus

> Kiwis-online.com domain redirection service
> http://www.kiwis-online.com

Assuming he doesn't want to buy another computer, my own experience
suggests installing Ubuntu Dapper Drake (currently the lastest release,
and now looking pretty stable).

On a three year old Dell Dimension, it installed perfectly the first
time. Some older computers, and earlier versions of Ubuntu and other
distros, have had problems surrounding ACPI. This time, not.

A newer version (Edgy Eft) is said to be coming out in October, which
may be even better. But it may not...

Philip

E. Scrooge

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4504647f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
>> forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
>> constantly fix for him.
>>
>> He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
>> is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
>> Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).
>>
>> Any other opinions about the best Linux distro for a complete novice
>> more than welcome. He does not have any fancy hardware but likes to
>> play around with imaging editing software occasionally.
>>
>> TIA
>> Markus

>> Kiwis-online.com domain redirection service
>> http://www.kiwis-online.com
>>

> Ubantu....but to be honest, I'd go Mac......but thta's $.
>
> Image editing try "the gimp"
>
> regards
>
> Thing

He can either make sure SP2 is installed and make the PC as secure as
possible. He just shouldn't be getting crap like that easily installed on a
secure PC, unless the guy is installing every option that he sees from every
website.

Or get an Apple like a few have suggested. He certainly needs to compare
the software a bit more than the OS, it's the actual software that will want
to be using not siting there watching his OS all day.

E. Scrooge

Earl Grey

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:24:53 +1200, thingy wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi all, my uncle has Windows XP installed on his computer and is
>> forever having problems (Read Malware, spyware etc) which I have to
>> constantly fix for him.
>>
>> He's not the most computer literate person ever and all he wants to do
>> is surf the net and check his emails so I am thinking of installing
>> Linux (Specifically Ubuntu).
>>
>> Any other opinions about the best Linux distro for a complete novice
>> more than welcome. He does not have any fancy hardware but likes to
>> play around with imaging editing software occasionally.
>>
>> TIA
>> Markus

>> Kiwis-online.com domain redirection service
>> http://www.kiwis-online.com
>>

> Ubantu....but to be honest, I'd go Mac......but thta's $.

Have a look at the prices of mac minis on trademe