Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How can I stop the AutoPlay monster?

How can I stop the AutoPlay monster?

aka Bob

I've purchased the new computer system, upgraded from W2Kpro to WXPpro
and I'm on a steep learning curve. Lots of problems, but this is one
that's driving me bonkers.

I have gone into My Computer and right clicked on the DVD-RW drive,
opened properties and chosen to "Take No Action" for all of the
"AutoPlay" options.

Nevertheless, software CD's still execute autorun & install whenever
they're put in the drive. I was able to easily disable autoplay my old
computer, but WXPpro is obviously different.

Please ... how can I stop the AutoPlay monster? b

GraB

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:06:08 +1200, aka Bob
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've purchased the new computer system, upgraded from W2Kpro to WXPpro
>and I'm on a steep learning curve. Lots of problems, but this is one
>that's driving me bonkers.
>
>I have gone into My Computer and right clicked on the DVD-RW drive,
>opened properties and chosen to "Take No Action" for all of the
>"AutoPlay" options.
>
>Nevertheless, software CD's still execute autorun & install whenever
>they're put in the drive. I was able to easily disable autoplay my old
>computer, but WXPpro is obviously different.
>
>Please ... how can I stop the AutoPlay monster? b

http://features.engadget.com/2004/06...un-on-windows/

or

Open Registry and navigate to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\policies\Explorer]
and look for key "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" and set its value to 185
(decimal). This would stop autoplay.

Phil

aka Bob wrote, On 9/09/06 10.06 p:
> Please ... how can I stop the AutoPlay monster? b

If you don't want to fiddle around in the registry, it's configurable in
TweakUI -
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx>,
along with a few hundred other little OS config tweaks.

-Phil

Jack Hammond

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 23:13:15 +1200, Phil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>aka Bob wrote, On 9/09/06 10.06 p:
>> Please ... how can I stop the AutoPlay monster? b

>If you don't want to fiddle around in the registry, it's configurable in
>TweakUI -
><http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx>,
>along with a few hundred other little OS config tweaks.
>
>-Phil

No just use this tool.

http://www.xpantispy.org/

Phil

Jack Hammond wrote, On 10/09/06 12.31 p:
> No just use this tool.
>
> http://www.xpantispy.org/

My humble apologies kind sir, please forgive my oversight and gross
negligence.

</sarcasm>

-Phil

aka Bob

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 23:13:15 +1200, Phil <(E-Mail Removed)>
magnanimously proffered:

>aka Bob wrote, On 9/09/06 10.06 p:
>> Please ... how can I stop the AutoPlay monster? b

>If you don't want to fiddle around in the registry, it's configurable in
>TweakUI -
><http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx>,
>along with a few hundred other little OS config tweaks.
>
>-Phil

Thanks. But when I try to install, I get an error message telling me
that the downloaded file "isn't a valid Win32 application." Any way
around that? Thanks, bob

Jack Hammond

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:40:05 +1200, Phil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jack Hammond wrote, On 10/09/06 12.31 p:
>> No just use this tool.
>>
>> http://www.xpantispy.org/

>My humble apologies kind sir, please forgive my oversight and gross
>negligence.
>
></sarcasm>
>
>-Phil

Sorry I thought every one new about XPantispy. -

Phil

aka Bob wrote, On 10/09/06 3.06 p:
> Thanks. But when I try to install, I get an error message telling me
> that the downloaded file "isn't a valid Win32 application." Any way
> around that? Thanks, bob

Are you sure you downloaded the correct one (and not the one for IA64
systems -- unless you have an Itanium system that is)?

Try:
<http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe>

-Phil

aka Bob

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:54:34 +1200, Phil <(E-Mail Removed)>
magnanimously proffered:

>aka Bob wrote, On 10/09/06 3.06 p:
>> Thanks. But when I try to install, I get an error message telling me
>> that the downloaded file "isn't a valid Win32 application." Any way
>> around that? Thanks, bob

>Are you sure you downloaded the correct one (and not the one for IA64
>systems -- unless you have an Itanium system that is)?
>
>Try:
><http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe>
>
>-Phil

Thanks, Phil. I did download and attempt to install the wrong version.
bob

Bruce Knox

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've purchased the new computer system, upgraded from W2Kpro to WXPpro
>and I'm on a steep learning curve. Lots of problems, but this is one
>that's driving me bonkers.
>
>I have gone into My Computer and right clicked on the DVD-RW drive,
>opened properties and chosen to "Take No Action" for all of the
>"AutoPlay" options.
>
>Nevertheless, software CD's still execute autorun & install whenever
>they're put in the drive. I was able to easily disable autoplay my old
>computer, but WXPpro is obviously different.
>
>Please ... how can I stop the AutoPlay monster? b

Holding down the left shift when you insert a CD works but can become
annoying.
Bruce.
Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
http://physio.otago.ac.nz