Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't connect to workgroup computer

Can't connect to workgroup computer

=?Utf-8?B?VHJpcw==?=

Ive just installed a new computer to my wireless network.
'Network connections' shows that I have a good connection to my SSID.
I am connected to the internet through this SSID on a netgear DG834G
Wireless Router.
All my other computers are also using this router which also allows them
acces to shared folders on the 'main' computer and access to the printer
connected this 'main' computer. All this was achieved using the WindowsXP
networking wizards (all the computers have XP as does the new one). I have
used the default workgroup name of 'Mshome' throughout.
I have run the home network wizard on the new computer, but no computers
show up in 'netwwork places' and when I click on 'View workgroup computers' I
get the error: "Mshome is not accessible, the list of servers is not curently
available, consult your network administrator"
If I try to make contact from my main computer I can see the name of the new
computer in the MSHOME workgroup but when I click on it I get a similar error
message to the one above.
Any suggestions please
--
Tris

=?Utf-8?B?VHJpcw==?=

Problem solved - I hadn't noticed that the new computer came with a newer
version of Norton than I'm used to which had a 'personal firewall' included
which I hadn't allowed for.
--
Tris

"Tris" wrote:

> Ive just installed a new computer to my wireless network.
> 'Network connections' shows that I have a good connection to my SSID.
> I am connected to the internet through this SSID on a netgear DG834G
> Wireless Router.
> All my other computers are also using this router which also allows them
> acces to shared folders on the 'main' computer and access to the printer
> connected this 'main' computer. All this was achieved using the WindowsXP
> networking wizards (all the computers have XP as does the new one). I have
> used the default workgroup name of 'Mshome' throughout.
> I have run the home network wizard on the new computer, but no computers
> show up in 'netwwork places' and when I click on 'View workgroup computers' I
> get the error: "Mshome is not accessible, the list of servers is not curently
> available, consult your network administrator"
> If I try to make contact from my main computer I can see the name of the new
> computer in the MSHOME workgroup but when I click on it I get a similar error
> message to the one above.
> Any suggestions please
> --
> Tris

=?Utf-8?B?ZW55?=

Same situation happened to me, until I read your post and turned off McAfee
Security Center I was able to connect to my desktop from my laptop, I was at
a loss because I was able to connect from the desktop to the laptop. Thanks!!!