Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telstra bandwidth

Telstra bandwidth

Waylon Kenning

T'was the 8 Sep 2006 19:25:24 +1200 when I remembered Dave Taylor

>In conclusion, I want to be able to have Actrix type plans, but keep my TC
>Phone Line. Monthly caps and having to keep an eye on usage and all that
>garbage is crap. Why can't I just go to www.researchchannel.org and learn.

In Canada, was all the data you accessed from Canada or the United
States? Caps on international traffic I understand (it's a bit like
saying why does it cost more to fly from here to the US compared to
say Mexico to the US), but I don't understand caps on national
traffic. Are we running out of national bandwidth or something?
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Kent Smith

"mario" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44ff73f8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> bob the builder wrote:
>> Anyone on the TelstraClear cable getting the 4Mbps yet?

> My download speed is up, it's just my u/l speed which hasn't changed.
>
> http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml
>
> Download Speed: 3683 kbps (460.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
> Upload Speed: 1106 kbps (138.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

My upload's always been pretty good. Wonder if you have a prob.

Download Speed: 3518 kbps (439.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1847 kbps (230.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

-KENT

Dave Taylor

Waylon Kenning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Are we running out of national bandwidth or something?

No, just being told we are.

--
Ciao, Dave

Dave Taylor

Waylon Kenning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In Canada, was all the data you accessed from Canada or the United
> States?

Mostly in Canada and USA due to speed issues only. A fat pipe from node to
node, or some narrow one, which mirror would you pick?
No penalty, just slower, ok time for me to completion penalty...

Caps on international traffic I understand (it's a bit like
> saying why does it cost more to fly from here to the US compared to
> say Mexico to the US)

A bit, a teeny bit. I pay my money for Internet, is that national only at
the speed I paid? Come on, 4 Mbps SHOULD mean best effort to destination,
not just to national or NZ only!
www.researchchannel.org

Are we running out of national bandwidth or something?

I don't think so, the Uni's just put together a big international video and
data exchange using the same crossing we as consumers use. What is
different is the QoS and the gateways. Many middle men and bandwidth
management infrastructure was bypassed to make it faster.

I could very likely be wrong since I don't work in the industry, but I have
put a few read articles together in my head to come to these conclusions.

REANNZ Network Launch
http://www.r2.co.nz/20060831/karen.asx

--
Ciao, Dave

Waylon Kenning

T'was the 9 Sep 2006 00:47:58 +1200 when I remembered Dave Taylor

>A bit, a teeny bit. I pay my money for Internet, is that national only at
>the speed I paid? Come on, 4 Mbps SHOULD mean best effort to destination,
>not just to national or NZ only!
>www.researchchannel.org

Dude, awesome website, thanks for the link. Like youtube, but with
interesting content.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Stu Fleming

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9839825B65BCdaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37 .6...
> Waylon Kenning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
> Are we running out of national bandwidth or something?
>>

> I don't think so, the Uni's just put together a big international video
> and
> data exchange using the same crossing we as consumers use. What is
> different is the QoS and the gateways. Many middle men and bandwidth
> management infrastructure was bypassed to make it faster.

Which brings us back to TelstraClear bandwidth again

Dave Taylor

"Stu Fleming" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4501dea6$1
@news2.actrix.gen.nz:

> Which brings us back to TelstraClear bandwidth again

When you talk to the help desk, they blame their upstream provider.

--
Ciao, Dave