Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Any Orcon USers around this am

Any Orcon USers around this am

Collector»NZ

IS Smtp working for you or have I got the problem. I cannot get a connection to
smtp.orcon.net.nz but it still pings

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

-=rjh=-

Collector»NZ wrote:
> IS Smtp working for you or have I got the problem. I cannot get a
> connection to smtp.orcon.net.nz but it still pings

smtp2 is fine.

Philip Roy

In article <44fa016b$(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Collector»NZ wrote:
> > IS Smtp working for you or have I got the problem. I cannot get a
> > connection to smtp.orcon.net.nz but it still pings

> smtp2 is fine.

I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.

Phil
--
NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
http://www.nzmac.com

Collector»NZ

Philip Roy wrote:
> In article <44fa016b$(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Collector»NZ wrote:
>>> IS Smtp working for you or have I got the problem. I cannot get a
>>> connection to smtp.orcon.net.nz but it still pings

>> smtp2 is fine.

> I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.
>
> Phil

Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I did for a
job, the response got better.
There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in order and
now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my domain address. I have a
wildcard pop box for the domain and since this morning it just black holes
messages sent from the domain to the domain.

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

EMB

Collector»NZ wrote:
> Philip Roy wrote:
>> In article <44fa016b$(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> smtp2 is fine.

>> I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.
>>
>> Phil

> Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I did
> for a job, the response got better.
> There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in
> order and now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my domain
> address. I have a wildcard pop box for the domain and since this morning
> it just black holes messages sent from the domain to the domain.

Use smtp auth

--
EMB

Enkidu

Collector»NZ wrote:
> Philip Roy wrote:
>> In article <44fa016b$(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> smtp2 is fine.

>> I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.
>>
>> Phil

> Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I did
> for a job, the response got better.
> There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in
> order and now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my domain
> address. I have a wildcard pop box for the domain and since this morning
> it just black holes messages sent from the domain to the domain.

That's an anti-SPAM measure and it is good. When I was a mail admin
anything up to 10 - 15 % of SPAM mail hitting the front door was,
apparently, from email addresses within the local domains.

If you want to get around this, try setting the sender email address to
some valid email address other than the recipients.

But local mail should not leave the local domain anyway, so why are you
sending it to the Internet facing side of the mail server anyway?

Cheers,

Cliff

Collector»NZ

EMB wrote:
> Collector»NZ wrote:
>> Philip Roy wrote:

>>> I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.
>>>
>>> Phil

>> Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I did
>> for a job, the response got better.
>> There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in
>> order and now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my domain
>> address. I have a wildcard pop box for the domain and since this
>> morning it just black holes messages sent from the domain to the domain.
>>

> Use smtp auth

Doing so already

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

Collector»NZ

Enkidu wrote:
> Collector»NZ wrote:
>> Philip Roy wrote:

>>> I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.
>>>
>>> Phil

>> Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I did
>> for a job, the response got better.
>> There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in
>> order and now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my domain
>> address. I have a wildcard pop box for the domain and since this
>> morning it just black holes messages sent from the domain to the domain.
>>

> That's an anti-SPAM measure and it is good. When I was a mail admin
> anything up to 10 - 15 % of SPAM mail hitting the front door was,
> apparently, from email addresses within the local domains.
>
> If you want to get around this, try setting the sender email address to
> some valid email address other than the recipients.
>
> But local mail should not leave the local domain anyway, so why are you
> sending it to the Internet facing side of the mail server anyway?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Because I am on the internet side of the servers. I use Orcons servers for all
my mail. Mail sent from my main computer to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) from a sender
of (E-Mail Removed) always used to work, now it black holes

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

Enkidu

Collector»NZ wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>> Collector»NZ wrote:

>>> Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I
>>> did for a job, the response got better.
>>> There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in
>>> order and now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my
>>> domain address. I have a wildcard pop box for the domain and since
>>> this morning it just black holes messages sent from the domain to the
>>> domain.
>>>

>> That's an anti-SPAM measure and it is good. When I was a mail admin
>> anything up to 10 - 15 % of SPAM mail hitting the front door was,
>> apparently, from email addresses within the local domains.
>>
>> If you want to get around this, try setting the sender email address
>> to some valid email address other than the recipients.
>>
>> But local mail should not leave the local domain anyway, so why are
>> you sending it to the Internet facing side of the mail server anyway?
>>

> Because I am on the internet side of the servers. I use Orcons servers
> for all my mail. Mail sent from my main computer to (E-Mail Removed)
> from a sender of (E-Mail Removed) always used to work, now it black
> holes

Like I said, change the sender to something else. You can leave the
Reply to: as your original Domain address.

What do you mean, you are on the Internet side of the servers? Do you
connect via some other ISP?

Cheers,

Cliff

-=rjh=-

Collector»NZ wrote:
> Philip Roy wrote:
>> In article <44fa016b$(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> smtp2 is fine.

>> I had problems earlier today but they are resolved now it seems.
>>
>> Phil

> Yep, got the run around when I rang, but once I pointed out what I did
> for a job, the response got better.

I've never had a satisfactory reply from Orcon about continual,
intermittent problems with smtp.orcon.net.nz, but somebody else had been
told to try smtp2.orcon.net.nz so I tried it as well.

Using that, I've never had a problem.

> There mail servers are starting to Pee me off, not delivering smtp in
> order and now it black holes anything I send to my myself at my domain
> address. I have a wildcard pop box for the domain and since this morning
> it just black holes messages sent from the domain to the domain.

This is really starting to **** me off, too - it seems random, and
sometimes people are kind enough to forward the error message (if they
get one). I forward mail from my own domain (kiwiwebhost/iserve) to my
account at Orcon, if the message fails, the error message sent back to
the sender reveals my true identity at Orcon, (is there anyway to avoid
this?)

The errors that I've received all indicate that the problem is
blacklisted servers, I've seen messages indicating spamhaus and other
lists. All seem to be temporary and random - maybe dependent on which
specific server is used at the time?

And for god's sake, how many lists does a company need to use! The more
they use the more likely there is to be a problem.