Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Given up on Orcon

Given up on Orcon

Steve

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:34:07 +1200, Gordon wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 17:45:51 +1200, Steve wrote:
>
>> Hey Jamie,
>>
>> I'd get yourself a domain name, and use freeparking or the like. That way
>> you're free from UDAI for the rest of your life!

> I must be missing something. A UDAI goes with a domain name. I have both.
> Each year my web hosting company sends me an e-mail saying what the UDAI
> is and please do not lose it, for it is important.

DNS controls where to look for your content. You can ftp that content
wherever you want. If you use a service like free parking, then you'll
never need an UDAI, for you're in control of your dns, not a web hosting
company.

Steve

Jamie Kahn Genet

Craig Whitmore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Stu Fleming" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44fa8a88$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Look, you should have a copy of your UDAI at all times. It is important,
> >> it is the key/password to your domain.
> >>

> > Quite often, they expire/become unusable.

> A UDAI does not expire, but changes when it moves between registrars or a
> registrar can ask for a new one to be made at anytime.
>
> And getting back to the orginal problem. If you log into your account at
> Orcon, you can get your UDIA online quite easily for your domain.
>
> Thanks
> Craig
> Myself

I could not find how to get or generate a UDAI from within my account
pages. It must be VERY well hidden. Also I was told, when I phoned
support after wasting 10 minutes looking on Orcon's website, that the
only way I could obtain my UDAI was to phone Orcon's Domain support on
0800 55 2000 - opt 2. I asked if instead it could be emailed to me. I
was told no. The ONLY way was by phoning that number within business
hours

Are you NOW telling me the support people were feeding me a line?

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet

~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> > After months of having my ADSL connection drop between telecom's
> > exchange and Orcon randomly for a few minutes (sometimes even longer)
> > every night (when there's no helpdesk ) and even sometimes during
> > the day, I have given up.
> >
> > Based on the good reports in past threads here I've moved to Actrix.

> [snip]
>
> That's exactly what I did months ago Jamie and I've never looked back.
> Actrix are a fresh breeze compared to Orcon's fetid stench.

LOL. I would not have put it quite that way, but certainly Orcon really
seems to have dropped the ball. THEY used to be _the_ ISP I'd recommend
to friends wanting better service (usually people fleeing Xtra). Now I
wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

> Welcome to an ISP that actually cares about it's customers. They fixed my
> Telecom problem (that Orcon refused to acknowledge) within a week of being
> with them. On the very same day I reported it to Actrix, (having decided
> that 7 days was enough to prove I was getting drop-outs) less than 24 hours
> later the Telecom tech had changed ports at the local exchange and I was up
> and running again. No more 50+ dropouts a month.

Tell you what - I've been VERY impressed with Actrix's speedy setup and
that every tech I've spoken with so far knows _exactly_ what I'm talking
about. It is very distressing when I have to explain things to a support
tech, and it seemed to happen all too frequently at Orcon. Now and again
I'd come across knowledgeable Orcon tech, but I still never got my issue
of dropouts between Telecom and them sorted.

Also - Actrix tells me the order for switching my ADSL over to them
should happen TOMORROW I almost cannot believe it and am waiting to
see if Telecom ACTUALLY actions this before I get too excited. I will
report back, but if I really do get my Actrix ADSL up and running
tomorrow I will be delighted. Could it be that Telecom (I realise the
holdups in this matter are mainly down to Telecom, not the ISP) is
actually getting off their arses or is it just a quiet patch for ADSL
installs at the exchange? THREE days from setting up my account to ADSL
up and running - if it happens I will be impressed. How long have other
switchers been waiting of late?

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Craig Whitmore

> I could not find how to get or generate a UDAI from within my account
> pages. It must be VERY well hidden.

My Orcon (login)
My Services - Domains
Click on Your Domain
Get Password (on Right)

Thanks
Craig
Talking for Myself

David Empson

Jamie Kahn Genet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Also - Actrix tells me the order for switching my ADSL over to them
> should happen TOMORROW I almost cannot believe it and am waiting to
> see if Telecom ACTUALLY actions this before I get too excited. I will
> report back, but if I really do get my Actrix ADSL up and running
> tomorrow I will be delighted. Could it be that Telecom (I realise the
> holdups in this matter are mainly down to Telecom, not the ISP) is
> actually getting off their arses or is it just a quiet patch for ADSL
> installs at the exchange? THREE days from setting up my account to ADSL
> up and running - if it happens I will be impressed. How long have other
> switchers been waiting of late?

My initial installation of ADSL (with Actrix) in March took two or three
days.

I then moved house (on the same exchange) and that took more like five
days. Actrix put me back on dial-up for the transition period.

I've been very happy with Actrix (been using them on dial-up since about
1992, now up to 5 months on ADSL).

Occasional problems with my ADSL reliability (random disconnects, mostly
around noon or in the wee small hours) are almost certainly Telecom's
fault.

--
David Empson

Jamie Kahn Genet

David Empson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jamie Kahn Genet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Also - Actrix tells me the order for switching my ADSL over to them
> > should happen TOMORROW I almost cannot believe it and am waiting to
> > see if Telecom ACTUALLY actions this before I get too excited. I will
> > report back, but if I really do get my Actrix ADSL up and running
> > tomorrow I will be delighted. Could it be that Telecom (I realise the
> > holdups in this matter are mainly down to Telecom, not the ISP) is
> > actually getting off their arses or is it just a quiet patch for ADSL
> > installs at the exchange? THREE days from setting up my account to ADSL
> > up and running - if it happens I will be impressed. How long have other
> > switchers been waiting of late?

> My initial installation of ADSL (with Actrix) in March took two or three
> days.
>
> I then moved house (on the same exchange) and that took more like five
> days. Actrix put me back on dial-up for the transition period.
>
> I've been very happy with Actrix (been using them on dial-up since about
> 1992, now up to 5 months on ADSL).
>
> Occasional problems with my ADSL reliability (random disconnects, mostly
> around noon or in the wee small hours) are almost certainly Telecom's
> fault.

Well - they were as good as their word I'm now up and running with
Actrix's 1GB per day plan, and once again they answered their phones
quick smart when I called to activate my ADSL account. I'm one happy
refugee from Orcon.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet

Craig Whitmore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I could not find how to get or generate a UDAI from within my account
> > pages. It must be VERY well hidden.

> My Orcon (login)
> My Services - Domains
> Click on Your Domain
> Get Password (on Right)
>
> Thanks
> Craig
> Talking for Myself

Thanks, but too late now. I wish Orcon's tech support had advised me of
that...

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet