Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Bootable Flash Drive

Bootable Flash Drive

Jack Barrack

Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
up?

Dave Taylor

Jack Barrack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
> the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
> up?

Look in the bios for "Enable Legacy USB Support"

--
Ciao, Dave

Jack Barrack

On 29 Aug 2006 19:55:40 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

> Jack Barrack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
>> the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
>> up?
>>

> Look in the bios for "Enable Legacy USB Support"

This was already enabled, what's my next move?

Shank

Jack Barrack wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2006 19:55:40 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:
>
>> Jack Barrack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
>>> the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
>>> up?
>>>

>> Look in the bios for "Enable Legacy USB Support"

> This was already enabled, what's my next move?

Most modern motherboards support boot from usb. If your m/b doesn't have
it as an option in the boot sequence in the bios, check the
manufacturer's site for bios updates. You may get lucky.

Rob

--
But I've always wanted to know how to draw my own motion paths in
powerpoint, haven't you?

Enkidu

Jack Barrack wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2006 19:55:40 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:
>
>> Jack Barrack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
>>> the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
>>> up?
>>>

>> Look in the bios for "Enable Legacy USB Support"

> This was already enabled, what's my next move?

Google. There are any number of tiny Linux distros that supposedly will
boot from a flash/pen drive. I don't know of any Windows ones, but maybe
Barts' PE will do it.

Cheers,

Cliff

Nicholas Sherlock

Jack Barrack wrote:
> Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
> the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
> up?

Note that not all flash drives support this. Mine specifically says in
the documentation that it does not support booting.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

--
http://www.sherlocksoftware.org

Jack Barrack

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:42:03 +1200, Shank wrote:

> Jack Barrack wrote:
>> On 29 Aug 2006 19:55:40 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> Jack Barrack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Look in the bios for "Enable Legacy USB Support"

>> This was already enabled, what's my next move?

> Most modern motherboards support boot from usb. If your m/b doesn't have
> it as an option in the boot sequence in the bios, check the
> manufacturer's site for bios updates. You may get lucky.

First, thanks to everyone that replied with a suggestion.

I have no problem making a the flash drive bootable. What I wanted
(and I'm now reasonable sure it can't be done, is to make the flash
drive appear as a floppy drive.
Example: I have a programme which works below the Windows operating
system to provide restoring when Windows is not accessible. This
allows a number of actions, one being to allow boot up from a floppy
drive (only a floppy drive no other drive options are available).
The more I think about this the more i think it's impossible, if only
because the A: is assessed.

zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:47:31 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jack Barrack wrote:
>> Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
>> the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
>> up?

>Note that not all flash drives support this. Mine specifically says in
>the documentation that it does not support booting.
>
>Cheers,
>Nicholas Sherlock

I usually depends on the MoBo bios..

Steve

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:38:23 +1200, Jack Barrack wrote:

> Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
> the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
> up?

If I leave my ipod plugged in, my pc tries to boot from it.

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

It is possible to boot USB from DOS.

Computing.Net - USB driver for DOS = USBASPI.SYS

Check out :

http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/15568.html

Lindsay Rollo, Wellington, New Zealand