Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > [News] Apple Recalls 1.8M Laptop Batteries

[News] Apple Recalls 1.8M Laptop Batteries

Malcolm

The latest recall covers 1.1 million rechargeable batteries in the
12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4 laptops
sold in the United States from October 2003 through August 2006. The
recall also covers an additional 700,000 batteries in laptops sold
abroad, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Full Story;
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1894909.shtml

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿°
SUSE 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.13-15.10-smp

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Malcolm wrote:
> The latest recall covers 1.1 million rechargeable batteries in the
> 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4
> laptops sold in the United States from October 2003 through August
> 2006. The recall also covers an additional 700,000 batteries in
> laptops sold abroad, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
> Commission.
>
> Full Story;
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1894909.shtml

Score! I've just bought a used iBook G4 battery. Fingers crossed that
when it gets here it will be one of the recalled ones so I can exchange
it for a brand new one.

--
* Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
* PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

Nathan Mercer

Malcolm wrote:
> The latest recall covers 1.1 million rechargeable batteries in the
> 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4 laptops
> sold in the United States from October 2003 through August 2006. The
> recall also covers an additional 700,000 batteries in laptops sold
> abroad, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
>
> Full Story;
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1894909.shtml

You do have to wonder when/if this is going to hit Sony's bottom line

Sony has sold exploding batteries to their competitors like Apple and
Dell but notice how the Sony Vaio Laptops don't have this problem?

Colinco

Nathan Mercer wrote:

> You do have to wonder when/if this is going to hit Sony's bottom line
>
> Sony has sold exploding batteries to their competitors like Apple and
> Dell but notice how the Sony Vaio Laptops don't have this problem?

Another recent Sony recall involved faulty CCDs in many brands of
camera, not as dramatic but also would have cost millions.

Max Burke

Nathan Mercer scribbled:
> Malcolm wrote:
> > The latest recall covers 1.1 million rechargeable batteries in the
> > 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4
> > laptops sold in the United States from October 2003 through August
> > 2006. The recall also covers an additional 700,000 batteries in
> > laptops sold abroad, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
> > Commission.
> >
> > Full Story;
> > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1894909.shtml

> You do have to wonder when/if this is going to hit Sony's bottom line
>
> Sony has sold exploding batteries to their competitors like Apple and
> Dell but notice how the Sony Vaio Laptops don't have this problem?

Yet...

Found Images

Max Burke

Colinco scribbled:
> Nathan Mercer wrote:
>
> > You do have to wonder when/if this is going to hit Sony's bottom
> > line
> >
> > Sony has sold exploding batteries to their competitors like Apple
> > and Dell but notice how the Sony Vaio Laptops don't have this
> > problem?

> Another recent Sony recall involved faulty CCDs in many brands of
> camera, not as dramatic but also would have cost millions.

Had to get my F717 re-done with a new CCD because of this problem....
It took 6 weeks through Harvey Norman (the retailer I bought the camera
from) and Sony having to get the replacement CCD shipped from Singapore,
sent to Australia, then finally to NZ...

Sony have a World wide free CCD replacement program to fix the faulty
cameras DVD/Video cameras, etc, including the US. But the lawyers in the US
still bought a class action law suite against Sony.
There were several other major manufacturers had the problem as well because
they used the faulty Sony CCD's in their products.

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Found Images

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed) .com> Nathan
Mercer wrote:
> Malcolm wrote:
>> The latest recall covers 1.1 million rechargeable batteries in the
>> 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4
>> laptops sold in the United States from October 2003 through August
>> 2006. The recall also covers an additional 700,000 batteries in
>> laptops sold abroad, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
>> Commission.
>>
>> Full Story;
>> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1894909.shtml

> You do have to wonder when/if this is going to hit Sony's bottom line

from http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/25/sonybattery/

"Sony expects the Apple and Dell recalls to cost between ?20 billion and
?30 billion (US$172 million to $258 million)."

"That could put a dent in Sony's full-year financial results. The
company currently forecasts both its operating profit and its net profit
to be ?130 billion for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2007."