Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Removing messages from Google groups archive

Reply
Thread Tools

Removing messages from Google groups archive

 
 
Mister X
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:44ecdd18$(E-Mail Removed):

> Using this form here (I think):-
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/msgs_remove
>
> I noticed a certain infamous ng user using it (assuming it is
> actually him - see below).
>
> The main question I have is how does Google know that some
> malicious user isn't going about requesting the removal of posts
> that don't belong to them?
>
> It seems like a manual process as well (one request per post at
> a time).


When I removed one, I had to declare under oath that I was the person
(using language they provide), and give my physical name and address
(IIRC).

(Also, just in case you are not aware, posters can set
X-No-Archive in their headers, and google will not archive their
posts; no need for them to have them removed afterwards.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
Using this form here (I think):-
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/msgs_remove

I noticed a certain infamous ng user using it (assuming it is actually
him - see below).

The main question I have is how does Google know that some malicious
user isn't going about requesting the removal of posts that don't belong
to them?

It seems like a manual process as well (one request per post at a time).
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mister X
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is it possible to set "X-No-Archive" with OE (using quotefix)?
> Not that I'm sure I want to do it, mainly curious. Anyone know?


http://groups.google.com/support/bin...py?answer=7918

Oooh...

| Any post that contains the text "X-No-Archive:" either in the
| message headers of their post or as the very first text in the
| first line of the message body will be displayed on Google
| Groups for only seven days and wonít be searchable after itís
| removed.

So it WILL be displayed for seven days.
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
Mister X wrote:
> Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:44ecdd18$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Using this form here (I think):-
> > http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/msgs_remove
> >
> > I noticed a certain infamous ng user using it (assuming it is
> > actually him - see below).
> >
> > The main question I have is how does Google know that some
> > malicious user isn't going about requesting the removal of posts
> > that don't belong to them?
> >
> > It seems like a manual process as well (one request per post at
> > a time).

>
> When I removed one, I had to declare under oath that I was the person
> (using language they provide), and give my physical name and address
> (IIRC).
>
> (Also, just in case you are not aware, posters can set
> X-No-Archive in their headers, and google will not archive their
> posts; no need for them to have them removed afterwards.)


Is it possible to set "X-No-Archive" with OE (using quotefix)? Not that I'm
sure I want to do it, mainly curious. Anyone know?

Cheers,
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2006
Mister X wrote:
>
> When I removed one, I had to declare under oath that I was the person
> (using language they provide), and give my physical name and address
> (IIRC).
>

Yeah, I saw the declaration bit. Didn't get as far as the name and
address stuff.
However, that being the case I doubt Google will have either the time or
inclination to actually check those details. My guess is that stuff
gives them some degree of indemnity against any possible legal fallout
and maybe then they actually follow up those details.
So, it does appear that I can remove posts from being "archived" if I so
choose (whether or not Google completely removes those posts from their
databases is another question).
Usenet anonymity has its upsides and downsides.


> (Also, just in case you are not aware, posters can set
> X-No-Archive in their headers, and google will not archive their
> posts; no need for them to have them removed afterwards.)


Ah, that's good to know.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2006
Mister X wrote:

> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Is it possible to set "X-No-Archive" with OE (using quotefix)?
>> Not that I'm sure I want to do it, mainly curious. Anyone know?

>
> http://groups.google.com/support/bin...py?answer=7918
>
> Oooh...
>
> | Any post that contains the text "X-No-Archive:" either in the
> | message headers of their post or as the very first text in the
> | first line of the message body will be displayed on Google
> | Groups for only seven days and wonít be searchable after itís
> | removed.
>
> So it WILL be displayed for seven days.



Remembering of course that the x-no-archive header is a request, and isnt
complied with by many isp's, nor many people running their own nntp server.
The posts are still held, intact, and can be fetched should a need arise
(If, of course, you know what you are doing )


--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
Matty F
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2006
Daniel wrote:

> So, it does appear that I can remove posts from being "archived" if I so
> choose (whether or not Google completely removes those posts from their
> databases is another question).
> Usenet anonymity has its upsides and downsides.


I think that all posts remain in the Google database, for use by US
authorities. You can tell that because if you search for a mostly
non-archiving person in date order, there is a long delay before it
decides to say there are no messages (even when there are a few old
ones that *are* archived. Searching not in date order brings up the
archived ones immediately.

 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2006
Mister X wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Is it possible to set "X-No-Archive" with OE (using quotefix)?
> > Not that I'm sure I want to do it, mainly curious. Anyone know?

>
> http://groups.google.com/support/bin...py?answer=7918


Thanks. I knew I could manually (or otherwise) put it as the first line in
the body of the post. However, I know that some newsreader clients have the
option to insert it into the headers (so it's not in your face when you read
the post) and I wondered if OE was compliant in this respect.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006
In message <44ecdac9$0$15875$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, Mister X
wrote:

> (Also, just in case you are not aware, posters can set
> X-No-Archive in their headers, and google will not archive their
> posts; no need for them to have them removed afterwards.)


Which is very simple for somebody else to defeat. I have seen certain
regular noisegroup trolls try to use X-No-Archive to try to keep their
traces from coming back to haunt them later, and what others do is simply
quote those postings in their entirety.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Matty F
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <44ecdac9$0$15875$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, Mister X
> wrote:
>
> > (Also, just in case you are not aware, posters can set
> > X-No-Archive in their headers, and google will not archive their
> > posts; no need for them to have them removed afterwards.)

>
> Which is very simple for somebody else to defeat. I have seen certain
> regular noisegroup trolls try to use X-No-Archive to try to keep their
> traces from coming back to haunt them later, and what others do is simply
> quote those postings in their entirety.


And these are a few of the archives that completely ignore X-No-Archive
and show posts that Google pretends to not keep:

http://www.newsfeeds.com/archive/tal.../msg00030.html
http://www.usenet.com/newsgroups/tal.../msg00025.html
http://www.usenetarchive.org/dir29/File779.html
http://www6.allusenet.org/pages/8538.html
http://www4.all-usenet-archive.com/File.asp?service=166
http://usenet.best-buy-online.com/Dir10/File437.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing or deleting archived google groups. swkamburis C++ 0 03-25-2012 07:19 PM
Suggestion For Useful Script -- Google Groups Search and Archive EdwardATeller Perl Misc 2 09-06-2008 03:30 PM
getting values from URL such as http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=parameters+url+asp.net&start=10&hl=en&lr=& anonymous ASP .Net 1 05-08-2005 03:58 PM
Removing post from Google's archive FGH4 Computer Support 3 11-08-2004 01:35 PM
Google groups posting newsgroups messages problem Pauline Johnson Computer Support 8 12-13-2003 11:46 PM



Advertisments