Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Changing to "sort by date" permanently

Changing to "sort by date" permanently

geopelia

When I click a Google group, the left hand column always comes up as
"sort by reply"
I have to click to "sort by date".

I want to have "sort by date" appearing when I first click on the
group.

Can this be done? I can't find it in Google Help.

Thank you
Geopelia

~misfit~

geopelia wrote:
> When I click a Google group, the left hand column always comes up as
> "sort by reply"
> I have to click to "sort by date".
>
> I want to have "sort by date" appearing when I first click on the
> group.
>
> Can this be done? I can't find it in Google Help.
>
> Thank you
> Geopelia

Hvae you tried looking in 'your preferences' (or however they word it) on
Google?
--
Shaun.

Matty F

~misfit~ wrote:
> geopelia wrote:
> > When I click a Google group, the left hand column always comes up as
> > "sort by reply"
> > I have to click to "sort by date".
> >
> > I want to have "sort by date" appearing when I first click on the
> > group.
> >
> > Can this be done? I can't find it in Google Help.

> Hvae you tried looking in 'your preferences' (or however they word it) on
> Google?

I've looked everywhere in Google "preferences" and I can't see anything
like that.
Google also has the default "Sort by relevance" instead of "Sort by
date" when searching groups. I don't think "Sort by date" can be
changed to be the default.
Memo to System programmers: Always allow defaults to be changed easily.
Your defaults are usually stupid!

geopelia

Matty F wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > geopelia wrote:
> > > When I click a Google group, the left hand column always comes up as
> > > "sort by reply"
> > > I have to click to "sort by date".
> > >
> > > I want to have "sort by date" appearing when I first click on the
> > > group.
> > >
> > > Can this be done? I can't find it in Google Help.

> > Hvae you tried looking in 'your preferences' (or however they word it) on
> > Google?

> I've looked everywhere in Google "preferences" and I can't see anything
> like that.
> Google also has the default "Sort by relevance" instead of "Sort by
> date" when searching groups. I don't think "Sort by date" can be
> changed to be the default.
> Memo to System programmers: Always allow defaults to be changed easily.
> Your defaults are usually stupid!

Thank you. I'll browse around a bit but it looks like I've got to
change it every time!

Geopelia

Matty F

geopelia wrote:
> Matty F wrote:

> > I've looked everywhere in Google "preferences" and I can't see anything
> > like that.
> > Google also has the default "Sort by relevance" instead of "Sort by
> > date" when searching groups. I don't think "Sort by date" can be
> > changed to be the default.
> > Memo to System programmers: Always allow defaults to be changed easily.
> > Your defaults are usually stupid!

> Thank you. I'll browse around a bit but it looks like I've got to
> change it every time!

I have suggested to Google that they change the default or allow "sort
by date" to be set via preferences. A number of other people have
suggested a similar thing. I'll see if they are listening

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, Matty F
wrote:

> Google also has the default "Sort by relevance" instead of "Sort by
> date" when searching groups. I don't think "Sort by date" can be
> changed to be the default.

That annoys me too. I wouldn't mind it so much if it were quicker to change
the setting. I think radio buttons would work better for this than a pop-up
menu.

But then, of course, this kind of thing is easy enough to change yourself,
by creating your own custom form for submitting to Google's page...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>, geopelia
wrote:

> When I click a Google group, the left hand column always comes up as
> "sort by reply"
> I have to click to "sort by date".
>
> I want to have "sort by date" appearing when I first click on the
> group.
>
> Can this be done? I can't find it in Google Help.

Would it be possible to script a solution to this using Greasemonkey
<http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/>?

geopelia

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>, geopelia
> wrote:
>
> > When I click a Google group, the left hand column always comes up as
> > "sort by reply"
> > I have to click to "sort by date".
> >
> > I want to have "sort by date" appearing when I first click on the
> > group.
> >
> > Can this be done? I can't find it in Google Help.

> Would it be possible to script a solution to this using Greasemonkey
> <http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/>?

Thank you.
Sounds interesting, but I wouldn't know enough to do it. Google is
complicated enough already, for me.

Geopelia

Permanently 'acquiring network address' =?Utf-8?B?R3JycnJycg==?= Wireless Networking 9 06-16-2010 02:13 AM
Changing from Manual selection mode to automatic mode PERMANENTLY. =?Utf-8?B?U3RhY3kgSmFuaWNlIEVsdG9u?= Wireless Networking 0 08-09-2006 05:01 AM
Deleting Data Permanently... Gopi MCSE 9 11-02-2005 08:26 AM
Permanently changing Stylesheet using Javascript Jacqueline Javascript 6 01-29-2004 09:25 AM
How to change console baud rate permanently? Ramon F Herrera Cisco 1 11-30-2003 06:45 AM

Advertisments