Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Device drivers

Device drivers

Shane

Anyone ever written one from the ground up.
Am keen to learn how to write one for the pc, either windows or linux
drivers (seems there are more linux tutes on the subject available though)

Im also keen to see how its done in mobile devices

Language not an issue (ie. Im more familiar with c ish syntax, but if it
takes asm or machine code, or <gulp> java Im keen)

Any help appreciated
--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

Shane

Shane wrote:

> Anyone ever written one from the ground up.
> Am keen to learn how to write one for the pc, either windows or linux
> drivers (seems there are more linux tutes on the subject available though)
>
> Im also keen to see how its done in mobile devices
>
> Language not an issue (ie. Im more familiar with c ish syntax, but if it
> takes asm or machine code, or <gulp> java Im keen)
>
> Any help appreciated

bah, as always as soon as I ask I finally summon up the search string for
google that gives me the start I was after

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

jasen

On 2006-08-15, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:
> Anyone ever written one from the ground up.

I partially implemented a value-added serial driver for dos
once aka "FOSSIL" C/asm.

> Am keen to learn how to write one for the pc, either windows or linux
> drivers (seems there are more linux tutes on the subject available though)
>
> Im also keen to see how its done in mobile devices

Did embedded polyphonic sound synthesis code once too 100% asm.

other than hacking at the early (0.9x) linux serial driver so it'd recognise my
modem I haven't done anything with linux drivers.

Bye.
Jasen

Shane

jasen wrote:

> On 2006-08-15, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:
>> Anyone ever written one from the ground up.

> I partially implemented a value-added serial driver for dos
> once aka "FOSSIL" C/asm.
>
>> Am keen to learn how to write one for the pc, either windows or linux
>> drivers (seems there are more linux tutes on the subject available
>> though)
>>
>> Im also keen to see how its done in mobile devices

> Did embedded polyphonic sound synthesis code once too 100% asm.
>
> other than hacking at the early (0.9x) linux serial driver so it'd
> recognise my modem I haven't done anything with linux drivers.
>
> Bye.
> Jasen

Im downloading a kit from microsoft (Drivers Development Kit) to have a look
From the things Ive read, it seems C will be a good option as well and
theres a lot of bitwise operation, and memory allocation.

The only asm I know is.. jmp so if I find a register to jump to I'll be a
happy man
--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

Steven H

Hello Shane,

this came thru my rss reader; could be intresting for you, also if you have
the cap to spare - check out the video.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.as...=226116#226116

----------------
the madGeek

> Anyone ever written one from the ground up.
> Am keen to learn how to write one for the pc, either windows or linux
> drivers (seems there are more linux tutes on the subject available
> though)
> Im also keen to see how its done in mobile devices
>
> Language not an issue (ie. Im more familiar with c ish syntax, but if
> it takes asm or machine code, or <gulp> java Im keen)
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

Shane

Steven H wrote:

> Hello Shane,
>
> this came thru my rss reader; could be intresting for you, also if you
> have the cap to spare - check out the video.
>
> http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.as...=226116#226116
>
> ----------------
> the madGeek

Thanks steven
Looks like something that I can gain from, but will have to wait till later
in the monthly cycle (that sounds ew) before I bring it down.
I have downloaded and installed the DDK kit from Microsoft, and will go over
that as soon as I can.
Ive realised that my driver is supposed to provide all the answers to the
questions I have/had
ie.
How do I find the device
How do I talk to it (clearly my driver tells the os these things)
Im assuming my device is assigned a memory address, and of course the device
has its own instruction-set, and I tell the OS.. oi at 0x176AF45 you can
send it this list of commands.
In my research I have found that windows seperates the application from the
driver.
ie. my application talks to the os, which then talks to the driver which
then tells the os how to talk to the metal
SO I have the basic theory sorted (I think) but I have still got a lot of
ground to cover

(I should really get a hobby!)

--
Rule 6: There is no rule 6

Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <ebsed2$jit$(E-Mail Removed)>, jasen wrote:

> On 2006-08-15, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:
>> Anyone ever written one from the ground up.

> I partially implemented a value-added serial driver for dos
> once aka "FOSSIL" C/asm.
>
>> Am keen to learn how to write one for the pc, either windows or linux
>> drivers (seems there are more linux tutes on the subject available
>> though)
>>
>> Im also keen to see how its done in mobile devices

> Did embedded polyphonic sound synthesis code once too 100% asm.
>
> other than hacking at the early (0.9x) linux serial driver so it'd
> recognise my modem I haven't done anything with linux drivers.

Just a note that, if it's a USB device, you can access it under Linux from
an ordinary userland program, no need for a kernel-mode driver at all.