Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Open Source package's security "insufficient" and "vulnerable to many potential malware attacks"

Open Source package's security "insufficient" and "vulnerable to many potential malware attacks"

Fred Dagg

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:31:57 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>I don't know why I left you out of the bozo-bin when I reinstalled this damn
>Windows OS a month ago. You obviously belong there, something that I'll
>rectify momentarilly.

That'd be good, thanks. Your bullshit is getting quite old.

Fred Dagg

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 06:10:23 +1200, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:43:19 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
>[snip]
>
>> They can't win! They don't strengthen their OS and apps, they get
>> abused for having insecure software. They do, and they get abused
>> because other programs stop working....

>What goes around, comes around.

Huh?

Max Burke

> ~misfit~ scribbled:

>> Fred Dagg wrote:

> Ahh, a partial answer. Don't you just love those?

> I don't see any denial that you make a living off of servicing
> Microsoft software. (The MS food chain) The absence of a denial to
> that part of the statement is pretty much a confirmation.
> As my grandfather would say, you can learn more about a person
> from what they don't say than from what they *do* say.

>> Sure, as with about 99% of people in the industry, part of my job is
>> working with Microsoft products. However, I also work with Linux
>> servers, Borland products, PHP products, and software from a great
>> range of other companies.

> The percentages would be interesting. *True* percentages that is.
> Going by your posts the vast majority of your work would appear to me
> MS-related.

>> But enough about me. Why not play the ball rather than the person
>> for a change?

> Your involvement with MS products for a living *is* "the ball" in this
> instance. You've made it so by being so rabidly pro-Microsoft ad
> infinitum in NZ comp. (Goes to motivation your honour.)

OK let's try playing this 'ball game'....

What, IYO, is it about either working for Microsoft or or being an
'independant supporter' of Microsoft products and services that makes
anyones participation in nz.comp less 'legitimate' than anyone else's
participation in this forum?

Sometimes you (and others) make it sound like it's a bad think to work for
Microsoft, or have a 'career' in suporting Microsoft products and
services....

Found Images

~misfit~

Max Burke wrote:
> > ~misfit~ scribbled:

> > > Fred Dagg wrote:

> > Ahh, a partial answer. Don't you just love those?

> > I don't see any denial that you make a living off of servicing
> > Microsoft software. (The MS food chain) The absence of a denial to
> > that part of the statement is pretty much a confirmation.
> > As my grandfather would say, you can learn more about a person
> > from what they don't say than from what they *do* say.

> > > Sure, as with about 99% of people in the industry, part of my job
> > > is working with Microsoft products. However, I also work with
> > > Linux servers, Borland products, PHP products, and software from
> > > a great range of other companies.

> > The percentages would be interesting. *True* percentages that is.
> > Going by your posts the vast majority of your work would appear to
> > me MS-related.

> > > But enough about me. Why not play the ball rather than the person
> > > for a change?

> > Your involvement with MS products for a living *is* "the ball" in
> > this instance. You've made it so by being so rabidly pro-Microsoft
> > ad infinitum in NZ comp. (Goes to motivation your honour.)

> OK let's try playing this 'ball game'....
>
> What, IYO, is it about either working for Microsoft or or being an
> 'independant supporter' of Microsoft products and services that makes
> anyones participation in nz.comp less 'legitimate' than anyone else's
> participation in this forum?
>
> Sometimes you (and others) make it sound like it's a bad think to
> work for Microsoft, or have a 'career' in suporting Microsoft
> products and services....

Not at all. Or at least that is not my intention, I though I was expressing
my views more clearly than that. However, when someone is supporting MS
products zealously, to the point of blind fanaticism, and then it turns out
is making a significant slice of their income from servicing MS products it
does seem a little self-serving to be pushing them. Don't you think?

Take a timely 'for instance'. If I had a business replacing capacitors in
motherboards, then aggressively expressed my endorsement of certain boards
that I knew were probably going to have capacitor problems in the future
that would be wrong no? Essentailly increasing my potential customer-base
for the future with scant regard for whether my recommendations actually
suited the needs of the user. That is my take on the current situation.

I call it a vested interest, which taints the comments made with a touch of
'spammage'.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.