Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > iinet Australia has made it's move and now got what it's been after

iinet Australia has made it's move and now got what it's been after

E. Scrooge

iinet has taken over ihug's share of Australian users - ihug NZ is no longer
needed as it was only part of the deal when ihug was sold to them.
iinet now appears on ihug's Australian website with plans to drop the ihug
brand name completely. It's what iinet has been after all along it only
bought ihug to help quickly make it Australian user base an even larger one.

From the iinet/ihug website (about):

"You probably already know that ihug merged with iiNet a while ago. Well,
we're now taking the next step by moving forward with one unified name:
iiNet.
While the ihug name has been around for ages with some great achievements,
email and Internet isn't the only thing we do. For more than 12 years iiNet
has stood for technical innovation and value for money products - this is
the direction we're headed in.

Of course, we're more than happy for you to keep your ihug email address."

http://www.ihug.com.au/

*****

As you can see the ihug brand name will no longer exist in Australia for
much longer, it will only remain in some email addresses for the time being.

What's left of ihug is now much smaller than it once was - just the NZ dial
up and (Telecom NZ) broadband services - iinet dumped Ultra long ago and now
ihug Australia is about to be completely swallowed up by iinet, which hardly
all that unexpected.

Thanks to the take over of ihug Australia iinet Australia is now bigger than
ever. ihug NZ users have been shafted - especially those who were once on
ihug Ultra a few years back.

Now would be a real good time and last chance for NZ Post to have the sense
to get into the NZ internet business by buying up ihug NZ from iinet.
Emailing is just an advanced hi tech postal service.

E. Scrooge

Vista

> iinet has taken over ihug's share of Australian users - ihug NZ is no
> longer needed as it was only part of the deal when ihug was sold to them.
> iinet now appears on ihug's Australian website with plans to drop the ihug
> brand name completely. It's what iinet has been after all along it only
> bought ihug to help quickly make it Australian user base an even larger
> one.
>
> From the iinet/ihug website (about):
>
> "You probably already know that ihug merged with iiNet a while ago. Well,
> we're now taking the next step by moving forward with one unified name:
> iiNet.
> While the ihug name has been around for ages with some great achievements,
> email and Internet isn't the only thing we do. For more than 12 years
> iiNet has stood for technical innovation and value for money products -
> this is the direction we're headed in.
>
> Of course, we're more than happy for you to keep your ihug email address."
>
> http://www.ihug.com.au/
>
> *****
>
> As you can see the ihug brand name will no longer exist in Australia for
> much longer, it will only remain in some email addresses for the time
> being.
>
> What's left of ihug is now much smaller than it once was - just the NZ
> dial up and (Telecom NZ) broadband services - iinet dumped Ultra long ago
> and now ihug Australia is about to be completely swallowed up by iinet,
> which hardly all that unexpected.
>
> Thanks to the take over of ihug Australia iinet Australia is now bigger
> than ever. ihug NZ users have been shafted - especially those who were
> once on ihug Ultra a few years back.
>
> Now would be a real good time and last chance for NZ Post to have the
> sense to get into the NZ internet business by buying up ihug NZ from
> iinet. Emailing is just an advanced hi tech postal service.
>
> E. Scrooge

You mean the goverment/us buy it. They alreadly operate an ISP through
Genesis energy which is also state owned. Isn't there a conflict of interest
here, wit the government imposing unbundling to benefit there own state
owned companies.

E. Scrooge

"Vista" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>> iinet has taken over ihug's share of Australian users - ihug NZ is no
>> longer needed as it was only part of the deal when ihug was sold to them.
>> iinet now appears on ihug's Australian website with plans to drop the
>> ihug brand name completely. It's what iinet has been after all along it
>> only bought ihug to help quickly make it Australian user base an even
>> larger one.
>>
>> From the iinet/ihug website (about):
>>
>> "You probably already know that ihug merged with iiNet a while ago. Well,
>> we're now taking the next step by moving forward with one unified name:
>> iiNet.
>> While the ihug name has been around for ages with some great
>> achievements, email and Internet isn't the only thing we do. For more
>> than 12 years iiNet has stood for technical innovation and value for
>> money products - this is the direction we're headed in.
>>
>> Of course, we're more than happy for you to keep your ihug email
>> address."
>>
>> http://www.ihug.com.au/
>>
>> *****
>>
>> As you can see the ihug brand name will no longer exist in Australia for
>> much longer, it will only remain in some email addresses for the time
>> being.
>>
>> What's left of ihug is now much smaller than it once was - just the NZ
>> dial up and (Telecom NZ) broadband services - iinet dumped Ultra long ago
>> and now ihug Australia is about to be completely swallowed up by iinet,
>> which hardly all that unexpected.
>>
>> Thanks to the take over of ihug Australia iinet Australia is now bigger
>> than ever. ihug NZ users have been shafted - especially those who were
>> once on ihug Ultra a few years back.
>>
>> Now would be a real good time and last chance for NZ Post to have the
>> sense to get into the NZ internet business by buying up ihug NZ from
>> iinet. Emailing is just an advanced hi tech postal service.
>>
>> E. Scrooge
>>

> You mean the goverment/us buy it. They alreadly operate an ISP through
> Genesis energy which is also state owned. Isn't there a conflict of
> interest here, wit the government imposing unbundling to benefit there own
> state owned companies.

Still be separate profit making companies for all that. Make more sense for
NZ Post to get into a share of the internet pie. Better than SKY TV getting
their grubby hands on a large ISP.

E. Scrooge

Peter Huebner

In article <1155342114.865582@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
> Better than SKY TV getting
> their grubby hands on a large ISP.

Amen to that.

-P.

Steve

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 09:10:16 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:

> iinet has taken over ihug's share of Australian users - ihug NZ is no longer
> needed as it was only part of the deal when ihug was sold to them.
> iinet now appears on ihug's Australian website with plans to drop the ihug
> brand name completely. It's what iinet has been after all along it only
> bought ihug to help quickly make it Australian user base an even larger one.
>
> From the iinet/ihug website (about):
>
> "You probably already know that ihug merged with iiNet a while ago. Well,
> we're now taking the next step by moving forward with one unified name:
> iiNet.
> While the ihug name has been around for ages with some great achievements,
> email and Internet isn't the only thing we do. For more than 12 years iiNet
> has stood for technical innovation and value for money products - this is
> the direction we're headed in.
>
> Of course, we're more than happy for you to keep your ihug email address."
>
> http://www.ihug.com.au/
>
> *****
>
> As you can see the ihug brand name will no longer exist in Australia for
> much longer, it will only remain in some email addresses for the time being.
>
> What's left of ihug is now much smaller than it once was - just the NZ dial
> up and (Telecom NZ) broadband services - iinet dumped Ultra long ago and now
> ihug Australia is about to be completely swallowed up by iinet, which hardly
> all that unexpected.
>
> Thanks to the take over of ihug Australia iinet Australia is now bigger than
> ever. ihug NZ users have been shafted - especially those who were once on
> ihug Ultra a few years back.
>
> Now would be a real good time and last chance for NZ Post to have the sense
> to get into the NZ internet business by buying up ihug NZ from iinet.
> Emailing is just an advanced hi tech postal service.
>
> E. Scrooge

I think I'll buy it. $10 should be enough.

Steve

NilEinne@gmail.com

E. Scrooge (*sling) wrote:
> iinet has taken over ihug's share of Australian users - ihug NZ is no longer
> needed as it was only part of the deal when ihug was sold to them.
> iinet now appears on ihug's Australian website with plans to drop the ihug
> brand name completely. It's what iinet has been after all along it only
> bought ihug to help quickly make it Australian user base an even larger one.
>
> From the iinet/ihug website (about):
>
> "You probably already know that ihug merged with iiNet a while ago. Well,
> we're now taking the next step by moving forward with one unified name:
> iiNet.
> While the ihug name has been around for ages with some great achievements,
> email and Internet isn't the only thing we do. For more than 12 years iiNet
> has stood for technical innovation and value for money products - this is
> the direction we're headed in.
>
> Of course, we're more than happy for you to keep your ihug email address."
>
> http://www.ihug.com.au/
>
> *****
>
> As you can see the ihug brand name will no longer exist in Australia for
> much longer, it will only remain in some email addresses for the time being.
>
> What's left of ihug is now much smaller than it once was - just the NZ dial
> up and (Telecom NZ) broadband services - iinet dumped Ultra long ago and now
> ihug Australia is about to be completely swallowed up by iinet, which hardly
> all that unexpected.
>
> Thanks to the take over of ihug Australia iinet Australia is now bigger than
> ever. ihug NZ users have been shafted - especially those who were once on
> ihug Ultra a few years back.
>
> Now would be a real good time and last chance for NZ Post to have the sense
> to get into the NZ internet business by buying up ihug NZ from iinet.
> Emailing is just an advanced hi tech postal service

Actually it was mentioned a few weeks back that Ihug (NZ) is seeking a
buyer. It's even on the Ihug NZ webpage (they say they're unbundling
Ihug).

>From memory of the news report, Orcon and Optus were named as

contenders. Also, I believe Ihug are still considered NZ's third
largest ISP after Xtra and Paradise...

P.S. I'm more then happy with my current Ihug deal with ADSL (used to
be Ultra but moved away a long time ago). Still the best deal for high
usage by far last time I checked