Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Help - web developer wanted

Help - web developer wanted

EMB

I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support (8am
to 6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a reputable
organisation to do this would be gratefully received.

--
EMB

Vista

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ebe6s8$ong$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
>Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support (8am to
>6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a reputable
>organisation to do this would be gratefully received.
>
> --
> EMB

You could try http://www.dataview.co.nz/ . You would need quite a large
comapny to provide that level of support, so they would need an ongoing
maintenance contract.

Allistar

Vista wrote:

> "EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ebe6s8$ong$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
>>Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support (8am
>>6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a reputable
>>organisation to do this would be gratefully received.
>>
>> --
>> EMB

> You could try http://www.dataview.co.nz/ . You would need quite a large
> comapny to provide that level of support, so they would need an ongoing
> maintenance contract.

Yes, an individual or sole trader couldn't provide that sort of support
unless they have absolutely no personal life.

Allistar.

thingy

EMB wrote:
> I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
> Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support (8am
> to 6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a reputable
> organisation to do this would be gratefully received.

City?

regards

Thing

EMB

thingy wrote:
> EMB wrote:
>> I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
>> Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support
>> (8am to 6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a
>> reputable organisation to do this would be gratefully received.
>>

> City?

Auckland, but it really doesn't matter if they're in Patagonia provided
they can create and support an app that meets my client's requirements.

--
EMB

whome

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ebefv8$8l1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> thingy wrote:
>> EMB wrote:
>>> I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
>>> Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support (8am
>>> to 6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a reputable
>>> organisation to do this would be gratefully received.
>>>

>> City?

> Auckland, but it really doesn't matter if they're in Patagonia provided
> they can create and support an app that meets my client's requirements.
>

> --
> EMB

The new age.

thingy

EMB wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>
>> EMB wrote:
>>
>>> I have a client who needs a web enabled database application written.
>>> Whilst I could do this myself I cannot provide the level of support
>>> (8am to 6pm 7 days a week) they require. Any suggestions of a
>>> reputable organisation to do this would be gratefully received.
>>>

>> City?

> Auckland, but it really doesn't matter if they're in Patagonia provided
> they can create and support an app that meets my client's requirements.

You do not actually say what level of support, 2 hour response? 1? 4?

My experience with small companies is they lack the true capability to
do 365 days a year and the big guys will want insane money...probably
for the scale I suspect you want, something close to of the shelf as
youcan get it and get someone who will be hosting it as well.

regards

Thing

EMB

thingy wrote:

> You do not actually say what level of support, 2 hour response? 1? 4?
>
> My experience with small companies is they lack the true capability to
> do 365 days a year and the big guys will want insane money...probably
> for the scale I suspect you want, something close to of the shelf as
> youcan get it and get someone who will be hosting it as well.

A 2 hour max response on the support. And unfortunately this app has to
do all sorts of clever things that pretty much rule out anything than a
bespoke solution.

I'd rather retain control of where it is hosted myself. It'll need a
managed backup regime and pretty good hardware support for the server
and I'm already leasing a box that meets those requirements.

--
EMB

EMB

Allistar wrote:

> Yes, an individual or sole trader couldn't provide that sort of support
> unless they have absolutely no personal life.

That's why I have declined to do the development of it. This is
actually going to be the 2nd attempt - against my better advice they got
a one man band to create something for them. It's not overly functional
and the support is somewhat lacking (he went overseas for 3 weeks
without bothering to tell anyone and it fell over in his absence).

--
EMB

Allistar

EMB wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>
>> Yes, an individual or sole trader couldn't provide that sort of support
>> unless they have absolutely no personal life.

> That's why I have declined to do the development of it. This is
> actually going to be the 2nd attempt - against my better advice they got
> a one man band to create something for them. It's not overly functional
> and the support is somewhat lacking (he went overseas for 3 weeks
> without bothering to tell anyone and it fell over in his absence).

Oh dear. Not a good look.

Allistar.