Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Apostrophe char (') in emails replaced with R17;

Apostrophe char (') in emails replaced with R17;

Martin

Hi,

Has anybody else seen this? Client sends HTML email with apostrophe
characters (eg. How's) and when the email is replied to the original text
changes to HowR17;s

I'm assuming these are some sort of HTML codes but google doesn't give me
any joy on this one!!

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

cheers

martin

Bruce Sinclair

In article <ebbn22$82h$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Has anybody else seen this? Client sends HTML email with apostrophe
>characters (eg. How's) and when the email is replied to the original text
>changes to HowR17;s
>
>I'm assuming these are some sort of HTML codes but google doesn't give me
>any joy on this one!!
>
>Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Um ... yet another really good reason to send email as text and not html ?

Kent Smith

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ebbn22$82h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Has anybody else seen this? Client sends HTML email with apostrophe
> characters (eg. How's) and when the email is replied to the original text
> changes to HowR17;s
>
> I'm assuming these are some sort of HTML codes but google doesn't give me
> any joy on this one!!
>
> Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Google found someone else with your prob:
http://tinyurl.com/hhm32

Maybe post a reply to see if they managed to fix it.

-KENT

Richard

Kent Smith wrote:
> "Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ebbn22$82h$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anybody else seen this? Client sends HTML email with apostrophe
>> characters (eg. How's) and when the email is replied to the original text
>> changes to HowR17;s
>>
>> I'm assuming these are some sort of HTML codes but google doesn't give me
>> any joy on this one!!
>>
>> Any ideas would be much appreciated.
>>

> Google found someone else with your prob:
> http://tinyurl.com/hhm32
>
> Maybe post a reply to see if they managed to fix it.

Its usually caused by the senders email program using quoted printable encoding
and them using the fancy version of apostrophes and then something along the way
messing up the encoding type of the email.

Tell them to either stop using word as there mail editor, to change there
encoding to base 64 or find whats screwing with the message headers along the
way. Mailing lists seem to be quite bad at not understanding encoding types.

Mike Dee

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:08:18 +1200, Martin wrote:

> Has anybody else seen this? Client sends HTML email with apostrophe
> characters (eg. How's) and when the email is replied to the original text
> changes to HowR17;s

> Any ideas would be much appreciated.

At a guess, you are using Outlook Express version 6 or later to send HTML
emails, it is sending UTF-8 characters (whether you intend to or not)
probably something on the lines of: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> which are not being interpreted 100%
at the receiving end (might even be Font type differences triggering this)
and sending back a plain text interpretation of the raw utf-8 encoding.

--
dee

Martin

"Mike Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) id...
> On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:08:18 +1200, Martin wrote:
>
>> Has anybody else seen this? Client sends HTML email with apostrophe
>> characters (eg. How's) and when the email is replied to the original text
>> changes to HowR17;s

>> Any ideas would be much appreciated.

> At a guess, you are using Outlook Express version 6 or later to send HTML
> emails, it is sending UTF-8 characters (whether you intend to or not)
> probably something on the lines of: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
> content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> which are not being interpreted 100%
> at the receiving end (might even be Font type differences triggering this)
> and sending back a plain text interpretation of the raw utf-8 encoding.
>
> --
> dee

Thanks Kent, Richard and Mike!! I will try these ideas at the client
tomorrow. After getting Bruces reply I was beginning to think nz.comp was
not as good as it used to be but you guys have really given me some great
tips. I'll post a reply on the web forum mentioned if I still can't solve
it.

cheers / martin