Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > remove mail from exchange mailbox

Reply
Thread Tools

remove mail from exchange mailbox

 
 
XPD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2006
Any Exchange gurus around ? :-p
Probably a REALLY simple solution but I know only the basics of
Exchange.......

I have an Exchange server that has 1 mailbox that has 13000 emails
sitting in it.
Whats the easiest way of removing all those emails without 1)doing it
manually via Outlook 2)Removing the user ?

Ive had a brief nosey online via Google and found nothing of help....

TIA

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Craig Whitmore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2006
> I have an Exchange server that has 1 mailbox that has 13000 emails
> sitting in it.
> Whats the easiest way of removing all those emails without 1)doing it
> manually via Outlook 2)Removing the user ?
>
> Ive had a brief nosey online via Google and found nothing of help....
>
> TIA
>


Enable POP3 on the exchange server and pop all the messages down. Easy
or
in Outlook, select all the messages and delete them

Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
XPD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2006

Craig Whitmore wrote:
> > I have an Exchange server that has 1 mailbox that has 13000 emails
> > sitting in it.
> > Whats the easiest way of removing all those emails without 1)doing it
> > manually via Outlook 2)Removing the user ?
> >
> > Ive had a brief nosey online via Google and found nothing of help....
> >
> > TIA
> >

>
> Enable POP3 on the exchange server and pop all the messages down. Easy
> or
> in Outlook, select all the messages and delete them
>
> Thanks


Tried selecting all emssages via Outlook but it keeps throwing up a
mesage that messages are missing etc after deleting about 10....

Ill have a look at the POP3 solution

Thanks Craig

 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2006

XPD wrote:
> Craig Whitmore wrote:
> > > I have an Exchange server that has 1 mailbox that has 13000 emails
> > > sitting in it.
> > > Whats the easiest way of removing all those emails without 1)doing it
> > > manually via Outlook 2)Removing the user ?
> > >
> > > Ive had a brief nosey online via Google and found nothing of help....
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> >
> > Enable POP3 on the exchange server and pop all the messages down. Easy
> > or
> > in Outlook, select all the messages and delete them
> >
> > Thanks

>
> Tried selecting all emssages via Outlook but it keeps throwing up a
> mesage that messages are missing etc after deleting about 10....
>
> Ill have a look at the POP3 solution


Could be worth checking out the Mailbox Manager settings in the
Exchange System Manager

1. Click Start, click Programs, click Microsoft Exchange, and then
click System Manager.
2. Browse to the following location:
Organization_name/Recipients/Recipient Policies
3. Right-click Recipient Policies, point to New, and then click
Recipient Policy.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Any Exchange gurus around ? :-p
> Probably a REALLY simple solution but I know only the basics of
> Exchange.......
>
> I have an Exchange server that has 1 mailbox that has 13000 emails
> sitting in it.
> Whats the easiest way of removing all those emails without 1)doing it
> manually via Outlook 2)Removing the user ?
>
> Ive had a brief nosey online via Google and found nothing of help....


Without Outlook? (that's definately the easy option) - maybe try giving
yourself permissions to the M: drive and digging into the user and
deleting the messages.

--
Duncan
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006

"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> XPD wrote:
>> Craig Whitmore wrote:
>> > > I have an Exchange server that has 1 mailbox that has 13000 emails
>> > > sitting in it.
>> > > Whats the easiest way of removing all those emails without 1)doing it
>> > > manually via Outlook 2)Removing the user ?
>> > >
>> > > Ive had a brief nosey online via Google and found nothing of help....
>> > >
>> > > TIA
>> > >
>> >
>> > Enable POP3 on the exchange server and pop all the messages down. Easy
>> > or
>> > in Outlook, select all the messages and delete them
>> >
>> > Thanks

>>
>> Tried selecting all emssages via Outlook but it keeps throwing up a
>> mesage that messages are missing etc after deleting about 10....
>>
>> Ill have a look at the POP3 solution

>
> Could be worth checking out the Mailbox Manager settings in the
> Exchange System Manager
>
> 1. Click Start, click Programs, click Microsoft Exchange, and then
> click System Manager.
> 2. Browse to the following location:
> Organization_name/Recipients/Recipient Policies
> 3. Right-click Recipient Policies, point to New, and then click
> Recipient Policy.



The other easy way is with Exmerge - its on the exchange 2003 CD or you can
download it - it lets you export mail out to a PST file but you can also get
it to delete the email as it takes it out....

cheers

martin


 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:50:37 +1200, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Any Exchange gurus around ? :-p
>> Probably a REALLY simple solution but I know only the basics of
>> Exchange.......
>>
>> I have an Exchange server that has 1 mailbox that has 13000 emails
>> sitting in it.
>> Whats the easiest way of removing all those emails without 1)doing it
>> manually via Outlook 2)Removing the user ?
>>
>> Ive had a brief nosey online via Google and found nothing of help....

>
>Without Outlook? (that's definately the easy option) - maybe try giving
>yourself permissions to the M: drive and digging into the user and
>deleting the messages.


The M drive went out a couple of versions ago.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006
On 7 Aug 2006 15:20:27 -0700, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Any Exchange gurus around ? :-p
>Probably a REALLY simple solution but I know only the basics of
>Exchange.......
>
>I have an Exchange server that has 1 mailbox that has 13000 emails
>sitting in it.
>Whats the easiest way of removing all those emails without 1)doing it
>manually via Outlook 2)Removing the user ?
>
>Ive had a brief nosey online via Google and found nothing of help....


I'm guessing you haven't got Outlook Web Access?

In regards to deleting in Outlook, sometimes it does throw a wobbly if
you delete too many in one go. Try selecting a thousand or so, and
deleting those.

If it was me, I'd just delete the user and re-create a new one.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:50:37 +1200, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> >(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> Any Exchange gurus around ? :-p
> >> Probably a REALLY simple solution but I know only the basics of
> >> Exchange.......
> >>
> >> I have an Exchange server that has 1 mailbox that has 13000 emails
> >> sitting in it.
> >> Whats the easiest way of removing all those emails without 1)doing it
> >> manually via Outlook 2)Removing the user ?
> >>
> >> Ive had a brief nosey online via Google and found nothing of help....

> >
> >Without Outlook? (that's definately the easy option) - maybe try giving
> >yourself permissions to the M: drive and digging into the user and
> >deleting the messages.

>
> The M drive went out a couple of versions ago.


Indeed it is only valid for 2000 - what version is it?

The exmerge solution looks like a good one to me - I've used it, but not
to delete mail.

--
Duncan
 
Reply With Quote
 
XPD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2006

Dave Doe wrote:

> > >deleting the messages.

> >
> > The M drive went out a couple of versions ago.

>
> Indeed it is only valid for 2000 - what version is it?
>
> The exmerge solution looks like a good one to me - I've used it, but not
> to delete mail.
>
> --
> Duncan


Yeah it was Exchange 2000 (my oops for not mentioning that earlier),
but all solved now
ALtho...that was yetserday...bet you Ill look now and there'll be at
least another 1000 messages

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Script to Remove Attachments in Exchange Mailbox KDawg44 Python 4 10-12-2007 10:38 AM
Cannot send mail from Exchange 2007 mailbox to Exchange 2003 mailb =?Utf-8?B?am9zdWU=?= MCSE 3 08-15-2007 12:02 PM
how does exchange determine which server hosts a users mailbox? eddiec MCSE 1 01-31-2005 04:34 AM
Creating Exchange Mailbox - Steve - ASP .Net 1 06-15-2004 01:36 PM
Monitoring Exchange 2000 Mailbox MC Computer Support 2 12-10-2003 07:49 AM



Advertisments