Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Kubuntu or Knoppix

Kubuntu or Knoppix

Max Q

I've decided to give Linux another go. Even though I'm stuck with XP as
my main work OS, since there's nothing like Dragon NaturallySpeaking
for Linux yet, I miss the fun I had with Mandrake 7-9, and am also keen
on having access to some of the sorts of app.s that are available libre
in Linux, like Gnucash.

This is NOT an invitation for another 6GB thread/flamewar. I'm not a
crusader, and Linux IS just another OS, not the Holy Grail or panacea
for all the world's ills. Nor is XP the spawn of Satan, and while
Steve Ballmer does seem to have the manners of a chimp in addition to
the mannerisms of one, I don't see MS as the root of all evil.

I'm simply interested in comaprisons of these two distros from those
who've used either/both. I'm very much a KDE fan, and can't get
enthused about Gnome, hence my choice of finalists. If anyone is in a
position to make thoughtful, objective, no-evangelising contributions,
please do!
--
Non sum uni angulo natus; patria nea totus hic est mundus. - Seneca
http://maxqnzs.com/References.html

Earl Grey

Max Q wrote:
> I've decided to give Linux another go. Even though I'm stuck with XP as
> my main work OS, since there's nothing like Dragon NaturallySpeaking
> for Linux yet, I miss the fun I had with Mandrake 7-9, and am also keen
> on having access to some of the sorts of app.s that are available libre
> in Linux, like Gnucash.
>
> This is NOT an invitation for another 6GB thread/flamewar. I'm not a
> crusader, and Linux IS just another OS, not the Holy Grail or panacea
> for all the world's ills. Nor is XP the spawn of Satan, and while
> Steve Ballmer does seem to have the manners of a chimp in addition to
> the mannerisms of one, I don't see MS as the root of all evil.
>
> I'm simply interested in comaprisons of these two distros from those
> who've used either/both. I'm very much a KDE fan, and can't get
> enthused about Gnome, hence my choice of finalists. If anyone is in a
> position to make thoughtful, objective, no-evangelising contributions,
> please do!

Kubuntu
Because of the APT installation and update process.
Knoppix can do that as well, but the repositaries are all over the place.

Install Kubuntu then download and run Automatix
http://www.getautomatix.com/
or Easyubuntu
http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/
to add all the proprietary codecs, dvd support, windows codecs etc that
can't be distributed with the distro as free software.

Max Q

Earl Grey wrote:

> Kubuntu
> Because of the APT installation and update process.
> Knoppix can do that as well, but the repositaries are all over the
> place.
>
> Install Kubuntu then download and run Automatix
> http://www.getautomatix.com/
> or Easyubuntu
> http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/
> to add all the proprietary codecs, dvd support, windows codecs etc
> that can't be distributed with the distro as free software.

Thanks! I have to admit that the "purity" of (K)Ubuntu's commitment to
FLOSS was a bit off-putting, since I'm not Stallman, and do have a few
MP3s I like to listen to. When I tried the Ubuntu Live CD, and found it
wouldn't play MP3s, I was somewhat miffed. Nice to know there's a
workaround. Current score: Kubuntu 1, Knoppix 0. 8^)

--
Non sum uni angulo natus; patria nea totus hic est mundus. - Seneca
http://maxqnzs.com/References.html

Peter

Max Q wrote:
> I'm simply interested in comaprisons of these two distros from those
> who've used either/both. I'm very much a KDE fan, and can't get
> enthused about Gnome, hence my choice of finalists. If anyone is in a
> position to make thoughtful, objective, no-evangelising contributions,
> please do!

Knoppix is good as a live CD, but doesn't match the others as an installed
distro IMO.
Currently, I'm dual booting Mandriva and Kubuntu, and prefer Mandriva. YMMV

HTH

Peter

Shane

On 2006-08-07, Max Q <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Earl Grey wrote:
>
>> Kubuntu
>> Because of the APT installation and update process.
>> Knoppix can do that as well, but the repositaries are all over the
>> place.
>>
>> Install Kubuntu then download and run Automatix
>> http://www.getautomatix.com/
>> or Easyubuntu
>> http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/
>> to add all the proprietary codecs, dvd support, windows codecs etc
>> that can't be distributed with the distro as free software.

> Thanks! I have to admit that the "purity" of (K)Ubuntu's commitment to
> FLOSS was a bit off-putting, since I'm not Stallman, and do have a few
> MP3s I like to listen to. When I tried the Ubuntu Live CD, and found it
> wouldn't play MP3s, I was somewhat miffed. Nice to know there's a
> workaround. Current score: Kubuntu 1, Knoppix 0. 8^)

Just add multiverse to your sources.list and you will be able to install the
required mp3 support for [K]ubuntu, basically its ubuntus way of saying, you
accept any liability for using what is a proprietory algorithm
They explain it better themselves at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Max Q

Peter wrote:

> Knoppix is good as a live CD, but doesn't match the others as an
> installed distro IMO.
> Currently, I'm dual booting Mandriva and Kubuntu, and prefer
> Mandriva. YMMV
>
> HTH
>
> Peter

Thanks to all. Responses on the Knoppix web forum actually said the
same thing, that Knoppix is not really cut out for installation.
Refreshing objectivity, maybe some little bit of the jihadism has waned
in the Linux cosmos since I was last regularly there. Does Mandriva
have a DVD ISO for d/l?

--
Non sum uni angulo natus; patria nea totus hic est mundus. - Seneca
http://maxqnzs.com/References.html

Chris Hope

Max Q wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>>
>> Knoppix is good as a live CD, but doesn't match the others as an
>> installed distro IMO.
>> Currently, I'm dual booting Mandriva and Kubuntu, and prefer
>> Mandriva. YMMV

> Thanks to all. Responses on the Knoppix web forum actually said the
> same thing, that Knoppix is not really cut out for installation.
> Refreshing objectivity, maybe some little bit of the jihadism has
> waned in the Linux cosmos since I was last regularly there. Does
> Mandriva have a DVD ISO for d/l?

Yes. Their latest (MandrivaOne) works as a live CD which can be
installed so as with Knoppix and Kubuntu you can test it before
deciding to install it.

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/mandrivaone

From what I have heard myself, Knoppix is great as a live CD and not so
good as an installable distro, which is what others have said here as
well. I'm currently using Kubuntu on two of my non-server machines
(desktop at work, laptop) and Gentoo on one of them (desktop at home).

I'm finding Kubuntu to be excellent although I am having some stability
issues with the graphics driver on my desktop at work - it has onboard
nvidia and I'm using the nvidia driver but occasionally the graphics
seize up completely and I often get screen flickering. I tried the vesa
and nv drivers but they didn't give me the screen resolution they
should have. Haven't had any issues on my laptop which also has nvidia
graphics but at a lower screen res and using the nv driver.

MarkH

"Max Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsn0epq6hf24b4d001
@news.clear.net.nz:

> Peter wrote:
>

>> Knoppix is good as a live CD, but doesn't match the others as an
>> installed distro IMO.
>> Currently, I'm dual booting Mandriva and Kubuntu, and prefer
>> Mandriva. YMMV
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Peter

> Thanks to all. Responses on the Knoppix web forum actually said the
> same thing, that Knoppix is not really cut out for installation.

Does anyone know why Knoppix is lacking as an installed distro?

I have it installed on a couple of PCs and as far as I can tell it is just
an easier to install Debian. You have two or three package managers
available (or you could use apt-get) and can install anything from the
Debian (and Ubuntu) repositories.

I have tried Kubuntu and currently have Knoppix 3.9 on my TV PC (using VLC
to play vids). I also have Knoppix 5 on my test PC and it seems really
nice, very quick and responsive. Kubuntu and Knoppix are both Debian, but
I like Knoppix much more than Kubuntu.

In my opinion: Knoppix is pretty good as a live distro and I have both the
CD and DVD version of Knoppix 5 on hand when working. But I find it much
better installed to HDD because I can change preferences and use the
package manager to install more apps (usually the first is VLC). There are
also options for the advanced Linux geek to create a live disk with his own
preferences and programs, but I really can't be bothered learning how to do
that.

How many of you out there have installed Knoppix 4 or 5, set it up to your
preferences and installed some apps, then decided that you really don't
like it much and prefer another distro? Why didn't you like it? Which
distro do you prefer and why?

Currently my favourites are SUSE 10 and Knoppix 5(installed)

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Peter

Max Q wrote:
> Thanks to all. Responses on the Knoppix web forum actually said the
> same thing, that Knoppix is not really cut out for installation.
> Refreshing objectivity, maybe some little bit of the jihadism has waned
> in the Linux cosmos since I was last regularly there. Does Mandriva
> have a DVD ISO for d/l?

Check out the current edition of the Linux Format magazine, LXF83 Sept 2006,
black cover with the Ubuntu logo on the front. The DVD has live versions
of Mandriva and Ubuntu / Kubuntu, with a boot loader so you can choose a
distro when booting off the DVD. If you like, you can install from one of
these live distros.

HTH

Peter

Philip

Max Q wrote:
> I've decided to give Linux another go. Even though I'm stuck with XP as
> my main work OS, since there's nothing like Dragon NaturallySpeaking
> for Linux yet, I miss the fun I had with Mandrake 7-9, and am also keen
> on having access to some of the sorts of app.s that are available libre
> in Linux, like Gnucash.
>
> This is NOT an invitation for another 6GB thread/flamewar. I'm not a
> crusader, and Linux IS just another OS, not the Holy Grail or panacea
> for all the world's ills. Nor is XP the spawn of Satan, and while
> Steve Ballmer does seem to have the manners of a chimp in addition to
> the mannerisms of one, I don't see MS as the root of all evil.
>
> I'm simply interested in comaprisons of these two distros from those
> who've used either/both. I'm very much a KDE fan, and can't get
> enthused about Gnome, hence my choice of finalists. If anyone is in a
> position to make thoughtful, objective, no-evangelising contributions,
> please do!

I recently took the opportunity of changing a hard disk to set up dual
booting of XP and Ubuntu Dapper.

Ubuntu works for me: it's intuitive, it looks nice, some of the apps
even have the same names, like Firefox and Thunderbird.I've read that it
won't work on RAID arrays, which could be a problem for some folks. But
so far I've been able to do all the stuff I like to do in it, and it
reads all my data files without choking. Abiword even reads the old
Psion files, which is nice.

Except: I'm looking for a CD ripper that downloads metadata from
Gracenote (the old CDDB). Any thoughts?

And I haven't yet tried serious video editing, on account of being busy
doing other revenue producing stuff, so I'll need to research that.

The one piece of kit that doesn't seem to like Ubuntu is the Belkin
2-port USB print server. This may be because it is a pile of mongoose
droppings, and I've never made the Brother HL 1240 work with it in XP
either. Or it may be because I missed something.

For what it's worth, I note that I haven't booted to XP for the last
week, and I haven't felt deprived of anything. But it's nice to know
it's still there if I need it.

Philip

Kubuntu and windows xp time won't stay Uplink Computer Information 2 08-14-2006 09:32 PM
Knode Kubuntu and Xface Shane NZ Computing 0 03-18-2006 07:02 PM
kubuntu John Jay Smith Computer Support 11 02-17-2006 09:58 PM
kubuntu - k3b Andrew NZ Computing 2 02-14-2006 11:52 PM
Are there any Kubuntu Live CDs around? GraB NZ Computing 15 09-29-2005 10:31 AM

Advertisments