Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Copyright fair play.....maybe NZ needs such a party....

Copyright fair play.....maybe NZ needs such a party....

thingy

http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,3574,00.asp

Anybody want to join me?

;]

regards

Thing

Peter

thingy wrote:
> http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,3574,00.asp
>
> Anybody want to join me?

Yes - the copyright / patent thing has gone too far. The original idea
AFAIK was to ensure that the artist / creator got a fair income for his
work, and didn't lose out 'cos someone copied his work.
But that's not where it is now. The benefit goes to big corporates and
their lawyers. Why else would copyright extend for decades after the
author's death?

There is some interesting stuff written on this ...
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/25/1345/03329
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/poli...15/lessig.html
http://eldred.cc/

Science and art progress because each person can build on the works of
others, and take things a little bit further. The law pretends that
inventions or art works are completely new and original, which of course
was never the case. This approach is stiffling innovation, which in turn
erodes the standard of living for everyone (except for those privileged
few).

But you'll need a better name than pirates party - sounds too criminal.
What the real issue is, is freedom, freedom to innovate, freedom to create.

Peter

thingy

Peter wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>
>>http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,3574,00.asp
>>
>>Anybody want to join me?

> Yes - the copyright / patent thing has gone too far. The original idea
> AFAIK was to ensure that the artist / creator got a fair income for his
> work, and didn't lose out 'cos someone copied his work.
> But that's not where it is now. The benefit goes to big corporates and
> their lawyers. Why else would copyright extend for decades after the
> author's death?
>
> There is some interesting stuff written on this ...
> http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/25/1345/03329
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/poli...15/lessig.html
> http://eldred.cc/
>
> Science and art progress because each person can build on the works of
> others, and take things a little bit further. The law pretends that
> inventions or art works are completely new and original, which of course
> was never the case. This approach is stiffling innovation, which in turn
> erodes the standard of living for everyone (except for those privileged
> few).
>
> But you'll need a better name than pirates party - sounds too criminal.
> What the real issue is, is freedom, freedom to innovate, freedom to create.
>

> Peter

Think like kids though....tell them a coke is bad and ban it and they
will buy more! Ditto smoking, its rebellion.....and....the name is
working in Sweden!

The pirate party would appeal to those especially younger who are sick
of seeing fat cats living off them and want to finger the establishment,
the name does that IMHO.

Lets face it looking at the report on the parlimentary money spent on
electionering this morning in Stuff and its just more fat cats....

regards

Thing

Brendan

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 22:22:45 +1200, Peter wrote:

> Yes - the copyright / patent thing has gone too far. The original idea
> AFAIK was to ensure that the artist / creator got a fair income for his
> work, and didn't lose out 'cos someone copied his work.

No, that is incorrect.

The original idea of copyright was to protect publishers. This is why it is
called 'copyright' - the right to copy. It's not called 'authorright'...

Authors back then were seldom payed or payed poorly. In this, nothing much
has changed - only the famous creators of works command a fair deal.
Everyone else is a resource to be exploited.

The biggest lie in this debate is that it is for the authors. It never has
been. It'll all about the publishers, distributors - they do not give a
rats arse about the authors, never have done, but they say they do because
their marketing psychologists told them this will shame people into
supporting their outdated business models.

The same is true for Patents: They do not protect the inventors, because
the big corporations have thousands of silly little patents any one of
which you are BOUND to cross with your invention - the corps then sue you
in Court for years until you are bankrupted, and buy the patent from the
liquidator and use it against the next inventor.

--

.... Brendan

#261501 +(5732)- [X]

<jeebus> the "bishop" came to our church today
<jeebus> he was a ****en impostor
<jeebus> never once moved diagonally

Note: All my comments are copyright 5/08/2006 11:36:43 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Felix

thingy wrote:
> http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,3574,00.asp
>
> Anybody want to join me?
>
> ;]
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Hi

I created a forum on Pirate Party International to discuss forming a NZ
pirate party.
http://www.pp-international.net/foru...forum.php?f=21

Read more about Pirate Party on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Party

Felix