Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl

Unisys in Wellington - beware unix ppl

MaHogany

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:39:14 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

> I don't think this argument works for companies. For example, would you buy
> something else just because http://www.swandri.co.nz/ announced their
> decision of making their well-known and very Kiwi clothes in China, to
> reduce costs?

I willingly pay a premium price for a traditional Swandri jacket precisely
because they are made in NZ out of our own natural fibres - and because
they are hardwearing and last for years and... because they are Swandri
jackets.

I wouldn't do the same for something imported from overseas - even if it
was marketed by Swandri.

Ma Hogany

EMB

MaHogany wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:39:14 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
>
>> I don't think this argument works for companies. For example, would you buy
>> something else just because http://www.swandri.co.nz/ announced their
>> decision of making their well-known and very Kiwi clothes in China, to
>> reduce costs?

> I willingly pay a premium price for a traditional Swandri jacket precisely
> because they are made in NZ out of our own natural fibres - and because
> they are hardwearing and last for years and... because they are Swandri
> jackets.
>
> I wouldn't do the same for something imported from overseas - even if it
> was marketed by Swandri.

You won't be buying another Swanni again then will you - they are all
made in China now.

--
EMB

MaHogany

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 23:33:23 +1200, EMB wrote:

>>> I don't think this argument works for companies. For example, would you buy
>>> something else just because http://www.swandri.co.nz/ announced their
>>> decision of making their well-known and very Kiwi clothes in China, to
>>> reduce costs?

>> I willingly pay a premium price for a traditional Swandri jacket precisely
>> because they are made in NZ out of our own natural fibres - and because
>> they are hardwearing and last for years and... because they are Swandri
>> jackets.
>>
>> I wouldn't do the same for something imported from overseas - even if it
>> was marketed by Swandri.

> You won't be buying another Swanni again then will you - they are all
> made in China now.

My Swandri has a label in it which says "Made in New Zealand".

If, as you suggest, they are now made in China, I won't buy another
Swandri. (

I will look around for some other jacket that is made here, out of wool.

Dammit - I *do* like my Swandri jacket and it took long enough to find a
retailer here in WN that would actually buy in a traditional jacket for me!!

Ma Hogany

Chris Lim

MaHogany wrote:
> If, as you suggest, they are now made in China, I won't buy another
> Swandri. (

I'm sure the company will be devastated.

Nik Coughlin

MaHogany wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 10:57:24 +1200, Jo wrote:
>
>> The type of contracts these two companies cover
>> are highly sensitive - politically, security and commercially.

> Since when was "security" an adverb?
>

> Ma Hogany

I don't know, but pedantic is an adjective if that's any help to you.

thingy

Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

8><----

> I don't think this argument works for companies. For example, would you buy
> something else just because http://www.swandri.co.nz/ announced their
> decision of making their well-known and very Kiwi clothes in China, to
> reduce costs?

Yes.

When shopping for "high end" or "special" stuff I look to see where it
is designed and where it is made....If I consider that the made in NZ is
as good or better than the made in China, I buy made in NZ even if it
costs a little more. If it is designed in NZ but made in China to be
honest I do not pay much attention, I'm happy to buy designed in the
USA, Canada etc etc and made in China...if kiwi designers wont support
kiwi workers, I wont support kiwi designers....

regards

Thing

thingy

8><-----

Chris Lim wrote:
> MaHogany wrote:
>> If, as you suggest, they are now made in China, I won't buy another
>> Swandri. (

> I'm sure the company will be devastated.

If enough people vote with their wallets I'm sure they will notice....

I always try and buy made in NZ.

regards

Thing

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"MaHogany" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I willingly pay a premium price for a traditional Swandri jacket
>>> precisely
>>> because they are made in NZ out of our own natural fibres - and because
>>> they are hardwearing and last for years and... because they are Swandri
>>> jackets.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't do the same for something imported from overseas - even if it
>>> was marketed by Swandri.

>> You won't be buying another Swanni again then will you - they are all
>> made in China now.

> My Swandri has a label in it which says "Made in New Zealand".
>
> If, as you suggest, they are now made in China, I won't buy another
> Swandri. (

I think I did not correctly expose the facts in my first post. YES, Swandri
is now made in China. It was announced a few months ago.

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
>
> 8><----
>>
>> I don't think this argument works for companies. For example, would you
>> buy something else just because http://www.swandri.co.nz/ announced their
>> decision of making their well-known and very Kiwi clothes in China, to
>> reduce costs?
>>

> Yes.
>
> When shopping for "high end" or "special" stuff I look to see where it is
> designed and where it is made....If I consider that the made in NZ is as
> good or better than the made in China, I buy made in NZ even if it costs a
> little more. If it is designed in NZ but made in China to be honest I do
> not pay much attention, I'm happy to buy designed in the USA, Canada etc
> etc and made in China...if kiwi designers wont support kiwi workers, I
> wont support kiwi designers....

Exactly my point. Swandri is now designed here, but made in China. Will you
still buy from them?