Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Broadband at 2 locations with same loggin?

Broadband at 2 locations with same loggin?

maxnz

Hi, this question may have been answered before? I want to get ADSL at
my beach batch. I am currently using IHUG. My main home has a data cap
40+20gb. Can I subscribe to the cheapest IHUG ADSL plan at my beach
place (currently $29.95 p mth) but then log in with my home loggin
account. Secondly can I log in to my home account at my home and at my
beach location, using the same loggin at the same time? Note that both
locations will have adsl connected and both use IHUG as my ISP.

Any comments appreciated as it may save me a few dollars each month.

Thanks.

miguellint@yahoo.com

maxnz wrote:

> Hi, this question may have been answered before? I want to get ADSL at
> my beach batch. I am currently using IHUG. My main home has a data cap
> 40+20gb. Can I subscribe to the cheapest IHUG ADSL plan at my beach
> place (currently $29.95 p mth) but then log in with my home loggin
> account. Secondly can I log in to my home account at my home and at my
> beach location, using the same loggin at the same time? Note that both
> locations will have adsl connected and both use IHUG as my ISP.
>
> Any comments appreciated as it may save me a few dollars each month.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Max...First off check your terms and conditions with ihug. I do a
similar thing with Actrix but was told I was in breach of my contract
(but am still allowed to do it).

I have a 2MB/128 connection, my sister has a 256/128 connection, both
of us with Actrix. When I'm at her place I use my log-in so that I
don't use up her daily allowance. My log-in using my daily allowance
but at her speed.

However she can't use her log-in at my place cos I have a faster
connection.

I've never tried logging in at two different places with the same
log-in at the same time. I suspect it wouldn't work. You could always
email ihug's helpdesk.

Regards
Miguel

PS I always thought bach was spelt b-a-c-h. Has today's world changed
that too

maxnz

Thanks Miguell, I guess I wont know for sure untill I try it

It makes sense to be able to utilise your bandwidth allowance the best
way you can. As long as you dont exceed the cap I cant see it hurting
the ISP as they are getting 2 connection fees each month. Opens up
interesting possibilities though with being able to juggle your cap
with your mates!

I wonder if anyone else has any experience with this?

Cheers
Max

Dogboy

maxnz wrote:
> Thanks Miguell, I guess I wont know for sure untill I try it
>
> It makes sense to be able to utilise your bandwidth allowance the best
> way you can. As long as you dont exceed the cap I cant see it hurting
> the ISP as they are getting 2 connection fees each month. Opens up
> interesting possibilities though with being able to juggle your cap
> with your mates!
>
> I wonder if anyone else has any experience with this?

I had an interesting job once where two friends who had the same ISP and
broadband account were both getting frequent disconnects. Turns out
friend #1 had given friend #2 their old DSL modem and friend #2 had
plugged it in and it worked straight away so they hadnt given it a
second thought. But friend #2 was actually logging in as friend #1 and
using their account.

The disconnects happened because friend #1 would come along and try and
connect which would kick friend #2 off and vice versa.

So its happened in the past, whether its still possible today I dont know.