Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Annoying problem in outlook and word and probably every office product?

Annoying problem in outlook and word and probably every office product?

Nova

I have noticed that if I have some mapped network drives to lets say
computer b and computer b is turned off if I try and open a file in
outlook the file browser stalls for like 30 seconds to 1 minute while it
seems to try and access the mapped drives. I have no idea why as I am
not even trying to access those drives and it does this each time i go
into a folder on a local drive drive so If I want to attach a picture
that is buried in like 4 subfolders, each subfolder I have to click to
go into it stalls for 30 seconds to a minute for each one as it seems to
be wanting to do something with the mapped connections even though they
have nothing to do with what im doing as im not even accessing those
drives.... what stupidity is this? The problem existed in outlook 2000
and seems to be there in 2003 also and I have just noticed the same
thing in microsoft word.

If I delete the mappings everything is instant. I have googled around
and noticed plenty of people moaning about this but wasn't able to find
a solution, has anyone else seen this and found a solution? and why the
hell does it do this stupid behaviour anyway??

impossible

"Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44d1310f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have noticed that if I have some mapped network drives to lets say
>computer b and computer b is turned off if I try and open a file in
>outlook the file browser stalls for like 30 seconds to 1 minute while
>it seems to try and access the mapped drives. I have no idea why as
>I am not even trying to access those drives and it does this each
>time i go into a folder on a local drive drive so If I want to attach
>a picture that is buried in like 4 subfolders, each subfolder I have
>to click to go into it stalls for 30 seconds to a minute for each one
>as it seems to be wanting to do something with the mapped connections
>even though they have nothing to do with what im doing as im not even
>accessing those drives.... what stupidity is this? The problem
>existed in outlook 2000 and seems to be there in 2003 also and I have
>just noticed the same thing in microsoft word.
>
> If I delete the mappings everything is instant. I have googled
> around and noticed plenty of people moaning about this but wasn't
> able to find a solution, has anyone else seen this and found a
> solution? and why the hell does it do this stupid behaviour anyway??

Why map a network drive that's persistently turned off? Instead,
access what you need when you need it via My Network Places. If the
machine you is want is unavailable, you'll get a message telling you
so, but the delay issues you describe will be gone. Using any of the
MS office apps, you can also create network shortcuts right in the
Open or Insert File dialog boxes.

Alternatively, reset your mapping so that there's no attempt to
automatically reconnect at logon -- the network drive string will be
preserved in a drop-down list, so then it's easy to map the drive when
you need it and when you know the machine is running. This will also
eliminate the delays.

Nova

impossible wrote:
> "Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44d1310f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have noticed that if I have some mapped network drives to lets say
>> computer b and computer b is turned off if I try and open a file in
>> outlook the file browser stalls for like 30 seconds to 1 minute while
>> it seems to try and access the mapped drives. I have no idea why as
>> I am not even trying to access those drives and it does this each
>> time i go into a folder on a local drive drive so If I want to attach
>> a picture that is buried in like 4 subfolders, each subfolder I have
>> to click to go into it stalls for 30 seconds to a minute for each one
>> as it seems to be wanting to do something with the mapped connections
>> even though they have nothing to do with what im doing as im not even
>> accessing those drives.... what stupidity is this? The problem
>> existed in outlook 2000 and seems to be there in 2003 also and I have
>> just noticed the same thing in microsoft word.
>>
>> If I delete the mappings everything is instant. I have googled
>> around and noticed plenty of people moaning about this but wasn't
>> able to find a solution, has anyone else seen this and found a
>> solution? and why the hell does it do this stupid behaviour anyway??

> Why map a network drive that's persistently turned off? Instead,
> access what you need when you need it via My Network Places. If the
> machine you is want is unavailable, you'll get a message telling you
> so, but the delay issues you describe will be gone. Using any of the
> MS office apps, you can also create network shortcuts right in the
> Open or Insert File dialog boxes.
>
> Alternatively, reset your mapping so that there's no attempt to
> automatically reconnect at logon -- the network drive string will be
> preserved in a drop-down list, so then it's easy to map the drive when
> you need it and when you know the machine is running. This will also
> eliminate the delays.

Seems like a not so good work around, no other applications have the
problem of trying to access the mapped drives unless i direct them to
it. Outlook/Word have never used anything on those mapped drives and
yet they constantly seem to be trying to read them even when im browsing
through directories on a local drive..

I map a drive because a lot of times I need access to the drive and
usually the drive is there sometimes it is off yes and then I have these
stupid problems (only with the mentioned products). I was hoping
someone might have a real fix for the problem.

Thanks for the idea though..

impossible

"Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44d1452f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:44d1310f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have noticed that if I have some mapped network drives to lets
>>> say computer b and computer b is turned off if I try and open a
>>> file in outlook the file browser stalls for like 30 seconds to 1
>>> minute while it seems to try and access the mapped drives. I have
>>> no idea why as I am not even trying to access those drives and it
>>> does this each time i go into a folder on a local drive drive so
>>> If I want to attach a picture that is buried in like 4 subfolders,
>>> each subfolder I have to click to go into it stalls for 30 seconds
>>> to a minute for each one as it seems to be wanting to do something
>>> with the mapped connections even though they have nothing to do
>>> with what im doing as im not even accessing those drives.... what
>>> stupidity is this? The problem existed in outlook 2000 and seems
>>> to be there in 2003 also and I have just noticed the same thing in
>>> microsoft word.
>>>
>>> If I delete the mappings everything is instant. I have googled
>>> around and noticed plenty of people moaning about this but wasn't
>>> able to find a solution, has anyone else seen this and found a
>>> solution? and why the hell does it do this stupid behaviour
>>> anyway??

>> Why map a network drive that's persistently turned off? Instead,
>> access what you need when you need it via My Network Places. If the
>> machine you is want is unavailable, you'll get a message telling
>> you so, but the delay issues you describe will be gone. Using any
>> of the MS office apps, you can also create network shortcuts right
>> in the Open or Insert File dialog boxes.
>>
>> Alternatively, reset your mapping so that there's no attempt to
>> automatically reconnect at logon -- the network drive string will
>> be preserved in a drop-down list, so then it's easy to map the
>> drive when you need it and when you know the machine is running.
>> This will also eliminate the delays.

> Seems like a not so good work around, no other applications have the
> problem of trying to access the mapped drives unless i direct them
> to it. Outlook/Word have never used anything on those mapped drives
> and yet they constantly seem to be trying to read them even when im
> browsing through directories on a local drive..

Ok. Thing is, most people don't actually have this problem. If they
did, I'm sure you'd have no trouble Googling a clear-cut solution. For
example -- even if I deliberately disconnect a mapped network drive on
my sustem, I experience no more than a 3-second delay in Outlook (or
Word ) when I try to access a file on that drive before I get a
message telling me the drive is unavailable. Otherwise, if I'm not
specifically trying to acess that drive, I experience no delays
whatsoever.

So rather than focusing on a perceived design flaw with Windows or the
Office apps, I suggest you that you consider some network
configuration problem ....or else try one of my work-arounds.

> I map a drive because a lot of times I need access to the drive and
> usually the drive is there sometimes it is off yes and then I have
> these stupid problems (only with the mentioned products).

As I said before, you don't need to map a network drive to have ready
access to it -- either in applications or in Explorer. And since
you're obviously suffering from other problems that slow your network
down, you might want to rethink your commitment to drive mapping.

> I was hoping someone might have a real fix for the problem.

As you can probably tell from all the "moaning" about this problem,
it's not something that's likely to be fixed short of a through
inspection of your system. There are just too many things that can go
wrong.

> Thanks for the idea though.

Craig Shore

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 21:59:34 -0400, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:44d1452f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> impossible wrote:
>>> "Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:44d1310f$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Why map a network drive that's persistently turned off? Instead,
>>> access what you need when you need it via My Network Places. If the
>>> machine you is want is unavailable, you'll get a message telling
>>> you so, but the delay issues you describe will be gone. Using any
>>> of the MS office apps, you can also create network shortcuts right
>>> in the Open or Insert File dialog boxes.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, reset your mapping so that there's no attempt to
>>> automatically reconnect at logon -- the network drive string will
>>> be preserved in a drop-down list, so then it's easy to map the
>>> drive when you need it and when you know the machine is running.
>>> This will also eliminate the delays.

>> Seems like a not so good work around, no other applications have the
>> problem of trying to access the mapped drives unless i direct them
>> to it. Outlook/Word have never used anything on those mapped drives
>> and yet they constantly seem to be trying to read them even when im
>> browsing through directories on a local drive..

>Ok. Thing is, most people don't actually have this problem. If they
>did, I'm sure you'd have no trouble Googling a clear-cut solution. For
>example -- even if I deliberately disconnect a mapped network drive on
>my sustem, I experience no more than a 3-second delay in Outlook (or
>Word ) when I try to access a file on that drive before I get a
>message telling me the drive is unavailable. Otherwise, if I'm not
>specifically trying to acess that drive, I experience no delays
>whatsoever.
>
>So rather than focusing on a perceived design flaw with Windows or the
>Office apps, I suggest you that you consider some network
>configuration problem ....or else try one of my work-arounds.

If you're running firewall software, try turning it off. It's what does it to
me.

Nova

impossible wrote:
> "Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44d1452f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> impossible wrote:
>>> "Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:44d1310f$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Why map a network drive that's persistently turned off? Instead,
>>> access what you need when you need it via My Network Places. If the
>>> machine you is want is unavailable, you'll get a message telling
>>> you so, but the delay issues you describe will be gone. Using any
>>> of the MS office apps, you can also create network shortcuts right
>>> in the Open or Insert File dialog boxes.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, reset your mapping so that there's no attempt to
>>> automatically reconnect at logon -- the network drive string will
>>> be preserved in a drop-down list, so then it's easy to map the
>>> drive when you need it and when you know the machine is running.
>>> This will also eliminate the delays.

>> Seems like a not so good work around, no other applications have the
>> problem of trying to access the mapped drives unless i direct them
>> to it. Outlook/Word have never used anything on those mapped drives
>> and yet they constantly seem to be trying to read them even when im
>> browsing through directories on a local drive..

> Ok. Thing is, most people don't actually have this problem. If they
> did, I'm sure you'd have no trouble Googling a clear-cut solution.

Well googling I found tons of pages with people experiencing the same
problem the solution given was to remove the mappings.
If no other software suffers this problem and yet microsoft office and
outlook do suffer it, you don't think its a design flaw?

You don't think its a design flaw that its trying to access a network
drive when I am not even doing anything with the network drive? and you
don't think its a design flaw that each time i go deeper into
subdirectories its still trying to access the network drive each time
even when im using a local drive?

If that is not a design flaw I don't know what is.

For
> example -- even if I deliberately disconnect a mapped network drive on
> my sustem, I experience no more than a 3-second delay in Outlook (or
> Word ) when I try to access a file on that drive before I get a
> message telling me the drive is unavailable. Otherwise, if I'm not
> specifically trying to acess that drive, I experience no delays
> whatsoever.
>
> So rather than focusing on a perceived design flaw with Windows or the
> Office apps, I suggest you that you consider some network
> configuration problem ....or else try one of my work-arounds.
>
>> I map a drive because a lot of times I need access to the drive and
>> usually the drive is there sometimes it is off yes and then I have
>> these stupid problems (only with the mentioned products).

> As I said before, you don't need to map a network drive to have ready
> access to it -- either in applications or in Explorer. And since
> you're obviously suffering from other problems that slow your network
> down, you might want to rethink your commitment to drive mapping.

Who said anything about suffering from other network problems? i never
said anything of the sort. The network is functioning perfect except 2
microsoft products seem to want to access network drives that are
disconnected and even if they were connected why is it trying to access
them anyway?

>> I was hoping someone might have a real fix for the problem.

> As you can probably tell from all the "moaning" about this problem,
> it's not something that's likely to be fixed short of a through
> inspection of your system. There are just too many things that can go
> wrong.
>
>> Thanks for the idea though.

impossible

"Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44d169e2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:44d1452f$(E-Mail Removed)...

> If that is not a design flaw I don't know what is.

Sounds like you're more interested in grizzling about Microsoft than
you are in solving a problem. If you want to jump on that hobby horse,
you're on your own.

Nova

impossible wrote:
> "Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44d169e2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> impossible wrote:
>>> "Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:44d1452f$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> If that is not a design flaw I don't know what is.

> Sounds like you're more interested in grizzling about Microsoft than
> you are in solving a problem. If you want to jump on that hobby horse,
> you're on your own.

Again you seem to be jumping to conclusions... I was simply responding
to your posts that seemed to be jumping to all sorts of conclusions
about what my network must be doing (apparently it was going slow etc)
just like this message has. I was merely hoping that someone had a
_proper_ solution. I have in the end turned off the mappings however
and am awaiting feedback on some other users on a forum that are waiting
on a response from microsoft on the issue.

take it easy

MaHogany

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 11:09:38 +1200, Nova wrote:

> If I delete the mappings everything is instant.

You are observing a classic Micro$oft stupidism caused by the inability of
M$ Windows to do more than one thing at a time.

If you have set up a share to another computer, why is that other computer
switched off?

Ma Hogany

--
Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
A: Throw it harder...

Enkidu

Nova wrote:
> I have noticed that if I have some mapped network drives to lets say
> computer b and computer b is turned off if I try and open a file in
> outlook the file browser stalls for like 30 seconds to 1 minute while it
> seems to try and access the mapped drives. I have no idea why as I am
> not even trying to access those drives and it does this each time i go
> into a folder on a local drive drive so If I want to attach a picture
> that is buried in like 4 subfolders, each subfolder I have to click to
> go into it stalls for 30 seconds to a minute for each one as it seems to
> be wanting to do something with the mapped connections even though they
> have nothing to do with what im doing as im not even accessing those
> drives.... what stupidity is this? The problem existed in outlook 2000
> and seems to be there in 2003 also and I have just noticed the same
> thing in microsoft word.
>
> If I delete the mappings everything is instant. I have googled around
> and noticed plenty of people moaning about this but wasn't able to find
> a solution, has anyone else seen this and found a solution? and why the
> hell does it do this stupid behaviour anyway??

I don't think this is normal. I have shares set up to a number of
machines on the network, and several may be off at any one time. I've
noticed no slowdown when browsing to a file on server that *IS* online
at the time.

Cheers,

Cliff