Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Questions about the new "better" broadband plans

Reply
Thread Tools

Questions about the new "better" broadband plans

 
 
David Mohring
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 20:01:46 -0700, 2tone wrote:



> Thank you..
> Very interesting and relevant stuff
>
> can you clarify for me the procedure for connecting to these unlimited
> national hubs please ..
>
> It makes sense to me but i would like to know more .. is it just a
> matter of setting some proxy ?
>
> Can this "peer exchange" routing be done by domestic users via the
> standard adsl telephone connection ?


No. The network routing to and from the free peering exchanges is done by
the ISP. Your ISP has to have a physical network connection to one of the
peering exchanges and route network traffic via that connection to other
networks and websites also connected to one of the peering exchanges.

The peering exchanges centers are connected to each other via optical
cable buried alongside the railway line. See http://www.nzix.net/

David Mohring ( http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nova
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
David Mohring wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:19:22 +1200, David Mohring wrote:
>
>> Please republish and distribute the following, adding to it as you see
>> fit.
>>
>> From last December to March of this year, "negotiations" between the NZ
>> Commerce Commission (NZCC) and NZ Telecom and the Internet Service
>> Providers (ISP) TelstraClear, Ihug and CallPlus have resulted in the
>> latest two major determinations from NZCC granting wholesale access to
>> Telecom's xDSL network.
>>
>> Both Documents can be found on the NZCC website ...
>> http://tinyurl.com/zsgex
>>
>> Decision 568(PDF): Covering connection with TetstraClear and Paradise
>> ... http://tinyurl.com/pezwk
>>
>> and the Ihug/Callplus agreement(PDF) : Offering the same terms ...
>> http://tinyurl.com/lr46j
>>
>> If you read both documents you will find that both plans only offer 3.5
>> Megabyte per second download and a limiting 128 Kilobyte per second
>> upload connection.
>>
>> What is important for the consumer is that the agreements specifically
>> puts no additional limits to the volume of uploaded and downloaded data
>> , nor do the above agreement appear to grant Telecom the right to charge
>> the ISP for data volume. Under the agreement it appears ISP providers
>> are NOT charged for the volume of Internet Traffic between a customer's
>> DSL modem/router to the ISP.

>
> I have just been informed that WORLDxEXCHANGE's Xnet HSI Broadband service
> offers xDSL with "Unlimited National Data : Traffic peered with in New
> Zealand does not get counted towards your data allowance!"
> http://www.xnet.co.nz/internet/broadband.shtml
>
> Either Telecom is ripping off TelstraClear, Paradise, Ihug, CallPlus and
> Slingshot OR those same ISPs are ripping off their own customers.
>
> Which is it?
>
> David Mohring ( (E-Mail Removed) ).


Very interesting...

If someone from Orcon is reading this is there any reason why we don't
get unlimited national traffic ?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
Nova wrote:

>
> If someone from Orcon is reading this is there any reason why we don't
> get unlimited national traffic ?


I'm not from Orcon.... but Telecom charge the ISP for all data passing
through the DSLAM regardless of it's destination.


--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brendan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 11:43:13 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:

> So are you suggesting a 1:1 ratio for user/bandwidth from the exchange?
> So 1000 customers at 2M so a 2G link to the exchange, but it may need
> only a 512M link? and to the ISP a 2G link as well??


No, as that would be impractical and expensive.

But something comparable to the better examples overseas would be nice.

The current ratio in many places is a national embarrassment.

So are YOU suggesting there is nothing wrong with the current system ?

--

.... Brendan

#462310 +(4209)- [X]

< robT> Name ONE thing that your windows comp can do that my MAC cant
< bawss> Right click.


Note: All my comments are copyright 2/08/2006 9:39:02 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nova
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
EMB wrote:
> Nova wrote:
>
>>
>> If someone from Orcon is reading this is there any reason why we don't
>> get unlimited national traffic ?

>
> I'm not from Orcon.... but Telecom charge the ISP for all data passing
> through the DSLAM regardless of it's destination.
>
>


If one ISP can offer it I am sure others can..
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nova
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
David Mohring wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:19:22 +1200, David Mohring wrote:
>
>> Please republish and distribute the following, adding to it as you see
>> fit.
>>
>> From last December to March of this year, "negotiations" between the NZ
>> Commerce Commission (NZCC) and NZ Telecom and the Internet Service
>> Providers (ISP) TelstraClear, Ihug and CallPlus have resulted in the
>> latest two major determinations from NZCC granting wholesale access to
>> Telecom's xDSL network.
>>
>> Both Documents can be found on the NZCC website ...
>> http://tinyurl.com/zsgex
>>
>> Decision 568(PDF): Covering connection with TetstraClear and Paradise
>> ... http://tinyurl.com/pezwk
>>
>> and the Ihug/Callplus agreement(PDF) : Offering the same terms ...
>> http://tinyurl.com/lr46j
>>
>> If you read both documents you will find that both plans only offer 3.5
>> Megabyte per second download and a limiting 128 Kilobyte per second
>> upload connection.
>>
>> What is important for the consumer is that the agreements specifically
>> puts no additional limits to the volume of uploaded and downloaded data
>> , nor do the above agreement appear to grant Telecom the right to charge
>> the ISP for data volume. Under the agreement it appears ISP providers
>> are NOT charged for the volume of Internet Traffic between a customer's
>> DSL modem/router to the ISP.

>
> I have just been informed that WORLDxEXCHANGE's Xnet HSI Broadband service
> offers xDSL with "Unlimited National Data : Traffic peered with in New
> Zealand does not get counted towards your data allowance!"
> http://www.xnet.co.nz/internet/broadband.shtml
>
> Either Telecom is ripping off TelstraClear, Paradise, Ihug, CallPlus and
> Slingshot OR those same ISPs are ripping off their own customers.



As the margins are so small on the profits the ISP's make it wouldn't
surprise me if this time its the ISP's trying to make a bit of extra $$
but then again, history would tend to point towards Telecom as the
culprit.

>
> Which is it?
>
> David Mohring ( (E-Mail Removed) ).

 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
Nova wrote:
> EMB wrote:
>> Nova wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> If someone from Orcon is reading this is there any reason why we
>>> don't get unlimited national traffic ?

>>
>> I'm not from Orcon.... but Telecom charge the ISP for all data passing
>> through the DSLAM regardless of it's destination.
>>
>>

>
> If one ISP can offer it I am sure others can..


The question that needs to be asked is "Are Xnet making money from ADSL?"


--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2006
David Mohring <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> and the Ihug/Callplus agreement(PDF) : Offering the same terms
> ... http://tinyurl.com/lr46j


Right at the top of this document:
| EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
| i. Bitstream access is a wholesale service provided by Telecom
| between an end-user's premises and an ATM switch. This service
| is used by a telecommunications provider to deliver retail
| broadband services...

and therefore excludes backhaul.

| ...A telecommunications provider must supply
| other components including national and international
| transmission, connection to the internet and ISP services.

therefore Telecom can charge for backhaul.

Since the first days of UBS, ISPs have had the option of providing
their own backhaul, OR accepting the terms for Telecom's backhaul.
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Mohring
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2006
On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 00:00:55 +0000, Mark C wrote:

> David Mohring <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> and the Ihug/Callplus agreement(PDF) : Offering the same terms ...
>> http://tinyurl.com/lr46j

>
> Right at the top of this document:
> | EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
> | i. Bitstream access is a wholesale service provided by Telecom between
> | an end-user's premises and an ATM switch. This service is used by a |
> telecommunications provider to deliver retail broadband services...
>
> and therefore excludes backhaul.
>
>


OK

http://tinyurl.com/qgapx
QUOTE
"Bitstream Access & Backhaul

Bitstream is a circuit provided by Telecom between an end-user's premises
and an ATM switch. This circuit is used by a telecommunications provider
to deliver retail broadband services. A telecommunications provider must
supply other components including international transmission, connection
the the internet and ISP services.

The Commission has received four applications under Schedule 1 of the Act
for regulated access to Bitstream Access.
UNQUOTE

You can get an Idea of the content of those submissions from the recent
complaints by the ISPANZ ( http://www.ispanz.org.nz/ ) to David Cunliffe -
Minister of Communications.

http://tinyurl.com/ntatz

Which recomends the removal of the backhaul overage charge.

Given that Telecom have stated that Xtra is not a separate ISP but a
'Brand'

http://tinyurl.com/ne9dz

"Telecom: Xtra is not an ISP - it's a brand-name :
Xtra won't 'buy' services from Telecom's wholesale division, says Telecom"

I think that the Commerce Commission will soon step in to level the
playing field for consumers.


> | ...A telecommunications provider must supply other components |
> including national and international transmission, connection to the |
> internet and ISP services.
>
> therefore Telecom can charge for backhaul.
>
> Since the first days of UBS, ISPs have had the option of providing their
> own backhaul, OR accepting the terms for Telecom's backhaul.


Fast IP/Fast-IP Direct
http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,8...204225,00.html

Four questions

1) Which ISPs install their own backhaul connections?

2) How can a customer detect if their ISP is using Telecom's Global
Gateway Internet or the ISPs own backhaul network ( eg using
tracepath/traceroute/tracert or a website traceback ) ?

3) If your ISP uses it's own backhaul connection to a customers
DSL/broadband, *could* the ISP offer a separate pricing plan for free
National traffic.

4) Even if the ISP uses Telecom's Fast-IP Direct, why the hell is Telecom
charging ISP a per customer backhaul overage charge for traffic within NZ
anyway?


David Mohring ( (E-Mail Removed) )


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Test plans and "refined test plans" DZantow Python 0 12-20-2011 06:24 PM
Changing Xtra broadband plans Matty F NZ Computing 21 07-09-2006 08:43 AM
Re: Broadband Cable Internet New Plans Gary L T NZ Computing 0 11-15-2005 10:53 PM
Broadband Cable Internet New Plans Gary L T NZ Computing 14 11-15-2005 10:50 PM
Request: How to compare broadband plans Craig NZ Computing 0 11-19-2003 06:01 AM



Advertisments