Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slow boot time on 2 drives

Slow boot time on 2 drives

Johnny B Good

Got an XP box that takes longer than usual to boot. Some of the slow booting
apps are on the second drive eg D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
Why there is a win dir in the second hdd I don't know. Can I put the file/s
in the equivalent C:\ dir and change the path. Where can I change this path?

Thanks in advance.

Elmo.

David

Johnny B Good wrote:
> Got an XP box that takes longer than usual to boot. Some of the slow booting
> apps are on the second drive eg D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
> Why there is a win dir in the second hdd I don't know. Can I put the file/s
> in the equivalent C:\ dir and change the path. Where can I change this path?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Elmo.

I don't think you can have parts of an xp install on a different drive.
Where does %systemroot% point? (Type it in the run box and see which
folder pops up to find out.)

Johnny B Good

system root is indeed c:\ but why the partial install and use of said dir
for boot purposes?
71 sec for boot up. My old laptop is faster with XP.
"David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ea9nth$f6v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Johnny B Good wrote:
> > Got an XP box that takes longer than usual to boot. Some of the slow

booting
> > apps are on the second drive eg D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
> > Why there is a win dir in the second hdd I don't know. Can I put the

file/s
> > in the equivalent C:\ dir and change the path. Where can I change this

path?

> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Elmo.
> >

> I don't think you can have parts of an xp install on a different drive.
> Where does %systemroot% point? (Type it in the run box and see which
> folder pops up to find out.)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <ea9ed8$3fc$(E-Mail Removed)>, Johnny B Good wrote:

> Got an XP box that takes longer than usual to boot. Some of the slow
> booting apps are on the second drive eg D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

If it's not part of your regular Dimdows install, then perhaps it's a Trojan
<http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/svchost.exe.html>,
<http://www.klake.org/~jt/malware/svchost/>.