Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Recommendations for quad output graphics card

Recommendations for quad output graphics card

Allistar

Hi all,
I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card to
drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be able
to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad cards I've
seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0 (KDE)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Allistar.

thingy

Allistar wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
> use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card to
> drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be able
> to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad cards I've
> seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0 (KDE)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Allistar.

The asrock I am looking at has agp and pci-e, might be able to run both
at once....that way you only buy a single Graphics card.

regards

Steven

Allistar

thingy wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
>> use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card
>> to drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be
>> able to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad
>> cards I've seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0
>> (KDE)
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Allistar.

> The asrock I am looking at has agp and pci-e, might be able to run both
> at once....that way you only buy a single Graphics card.
>
> regards
>
> Steven

Asrock is a motherboard and not a graphics card, right? I'd rather stick
with my current motherboard (although will upgrade if there's a big enough
benefit, like dual/quad CPUs).

Allistar.

thingy

Allistar wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>

>>Allistar wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>> I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
>>>use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card
>>>to drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be
>>>able to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad
>>>cards I've seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0
>>>(KDE)
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Allistar.

>>The asrock I am looking at has agp and pci-e, might be able to run both
>>at once....that way you only buy a single Graphics card.
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Steven

> Asrock is a motherboard and not a graphics card, right? I'd rather stick
> with my current motherboard (although will upgrade if there's a big enough
> benefit, like dual/quad CPUs).
>
> Allistar.

I am not aware of any standard graphics card that does what you want,
matrox stuff might though.

Yes asrock is a make but it would mean an upgrade of the pci slotted
card to pci-e (if that setup works of course) so I would assume a decent
performance boost.

There appears to be a surround video feature on the support cd, and
nothing on their web site, so I cannot tell for sure.

regards

Thing

MaHogany

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:51:04 +1200, Allistar wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
> use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card to
> drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be able
> to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad cards I've
> seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0 (KDE)

Didn't know that there was a single card that could take FOUR separate
monitors.

I suggest that if you want extremely high resolution, then with current
technology you may actually need more than one display card.

Ma Hogany

--
Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
A: Throw it harder...

thingy

thingy wrote:
> Allistar wrote:
>
>> thingy wrote:

>>> The asrock I am looking at has agp and pci-e, might be able to run both
>>> at once....that way you only buy a single Graphics card.
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Steven

>> Asrock is a motherboard and not a graphics card, right? I'd rather stick
>> with my current motherboard (although will upgrade if there's a big
>> enough
>> benefit, like dual/quad CPUs).
>>
>> Allistar.

> I am not aware of any standard graphics card that does what you want,
> matrox stuff might though.
>
> Yes asrock is a make but it would mean an upgrade of the pci slotted
> card to pci-e (if that setup works of course) so I would assume a decent
> performance boost.
>
> There appears to be a surround video feature on the support cd, and
> nothing on their web site, so I cannot tell for sure.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

"Furthermore, an AGP graphics card can continue to be used even after
the purchase of a PCIe model. Although no 3D performance increase is
possible, it is certainly true that more displays can be operated
simultaneously."

quoting from THG, I assume tom's hardware got it right....

regards

Thing

Daniel

thingy wrote:

> I am not aware of any standard graphics card that does what you want,
> matrox stuff might though.

Yes. Matrox cards can do quad-head.

But, they're rather expensive new, and I'm not sure if they can do the
1680x1050 res.

Monitoring TradeMe might be an option?

Allistar

MaHogany wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:51:04 +1200, Allistar wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
>> use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card
>> to drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be
>> able to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad
>> cards I've seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0
>> (KDE)

> Didn't know that there was a single card that could take FOUR separate
> monitors.
>
> I suggest that if you want extremely high resolution, then with current
> technology you may actually need more than one display card.

That's what I do at the moment, a PCI and an AGP card. I do notice that
Xinerama is noticably slower than the NVidia "TwinView" setup, but from
what I know TwinView is only for dual head. I could have 2 dual head
desktops, but that would give me two separate X server instances, and while
I could move the mouse between them I would not be able to move windows
between them or have a panel span them.

> Ma Hogany

Allistar.

Allistar

Daniel wrote:

> thingy wrote:
>>
>> I am not aware of any standard graphics card that does what you want,
>> matrox stuff might though.
>>

> Yes. Matrox cards can do quad-head.
>
> But, they're rather expensive new, and I'm not sure if they can do the
> 1680x1050 res.
>
> Monitoring TradeMe might be an option?

I think I'll resort to using two separate cards. I'm running a triple head
setup off two cards, adding a 4th LCD should (fingers crossed) be trivial.

Allistar.

thingy

MaHogany wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:51:04 +1200, Allistar wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm looking at upgrading my triple head setup to quad head. I currently
>> use two nvidia cards (FX5200 PCI and Ti4200 AGP). I'd like a single card to
>> drive all four monitors, AGP preferable. The catch is it needs to be able
>> to handle 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz (for a widescreen LCD). Most quad cards I've
>> seen will only do 1280 x 1024. Also needs to work with xorg7.0 (KDE)

> Didn't know that there was a single card that could take FOUR separate
> monitors.
>
> I suggest that if you want extremely high resolution, then with current
> technology you may actually need more than one display card.
>

> Ma Hogany

There is a matrox solution, but its professional external unit with
fibre interlink.......

regards

Thing