Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > sync programs

sync programs

Nova

Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?

I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to have
a few bugs in it..

1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems to
recognise files being deleted..

2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will do,
then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.

3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run again
and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)

When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but I am
worried I might be losing information too...

So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like synctoy
but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle..

Shank

Nova wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?
>
> I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to have
> a few bugs in it..
>
> 1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems to
> recognise files being deleted..
>
> 2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will do,
> then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.
>
> 3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run again
> and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)
>
> When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but I am
> worried I might be losing information too...
>
> So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like synctoy
> but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle.

Syncback

www.2brightsparks.com

The free version is great. Haven't tried the retail version.
--
Rob

In poker you have to show your hand eventually if called. So far SCO
have with great reluctance shown only one card, which turned out to be
"Mr Bun, The Baker". -- Electric Dragon on groklaw.net

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

I use www.goodsync.com

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <44c5a94a$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nova wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?

The heavyweight standard is rsync <http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/>.

~misfit~

Nova wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?
>
> I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to
> have a few bugs in it..
>
> 1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems to
> recognise files being deleted..
>
> 2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will do,
> then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.
>
> 3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run
> again and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)
>
> When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but I
> am worried I might be losing information too...
>
> So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like synctoy
> but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle..

I thought SyncToy was great until I found that all my folders that were
supposed to contain my camera pics for the last year (that I had been
'echoing' to another drive) were now empty. As were the folders on the
backup. Lots and lots of pics gone forever (I had unticked the "Place
deleted/overwritten items in the recycle bin" option as it was putting all
my overwritten pics in the bin each time I ran it, a royal PITA).

I now back up my folders manually.
--
Shaun.

Pleb Plebian

"Shank" <Here@home> wrote in message news:44c5afc0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nova wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?

<snip>
> Syncback
>
> www.2brightsparks.com
>
> The free version is great. Haven't tried the retail version.
> --
> Rob
>
> In poker you have to show your hand eventually if called. So far SCO
> have with great reluctance shown only one card, which turned out to be
> "Mr Bun, The Baker". -- Electric Dragon on groklaw.net

Seconded -both for folder syncing and for backups. Very powerful and can be
run from a command-line (useful for scheduled backups and syncing -both
local and over a network)
Cheers
-Darl [Pleb]

Dave Doe

In article <44c5a94a$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

Checked out http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/ ?

--
Duncan

Malcolm

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:16:02 +1200
Nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?
>
> I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to
> have a few bugs in it..
>
> 1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems to
> recognise files being deleted..
>
> 2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will
> do, then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.
>
> 3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run
> again and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)
>
> When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but I
> am worried I might be losing information too...
>
> So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like synctoy
> but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle..

Hi
Try Syncback Freeware http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

--
Cheers
Malcolm °¿°

Nova

Nova wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?
>
> I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to have
> a few bugs in it..
>
> 1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems to
> recognise files being deleted..
>
> 2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will do,
> then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.
>
> 3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run again
> and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)
>
> When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but I am
> worried I might be losing information too...
>
> So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like synctoy
> but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle..

Thanks to everyone that replied, I think I'm going to settle with
SyncBack, it looks great and very powerful and best of all seems to be
accurate and reliable .

~misfit~

Nova wrote:
> Nova wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?
> >
> > I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to
> > have a few bugs in it..
> >
> > 1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems
> > to recognise files being deleted..
> >
> > 2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will
> > do, then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.
> >
> > 3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run
> > again and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)
> >
> > When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but
> > I am worried I might be losing information too...
> >
> > So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like
> > synctoy but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle..

> Thanks to everyone that replied, I think I'm going to settle with
> SyncBack, it looks great and very powerful and best of all seems to be
> accurate and reliable .

Sounds like a good move, I've grabbed it too.
--
Shaun.